Hydrogen engines

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
potterb68
TO92 - Vaguely active

Hydrogen engines

Post by potterb68 »

Good day, all. I'm new here - I am just starting into research on converting petrol (gasoline, sorry - I'm English!) engines to run on hydrogen. (And I do mean gaseous hydrogen, not the hydrogen-oxygen mixture advocated in some highly suspect quarters, IMHO). I suspect that at some stage this would mean experimenting with injection and also spark timing. I started life as a programmer some little while ago and my skills are probably dated and rusty. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has interests in the hydrogen engine. For anyone new to the idea I would suggest you give up 10 minutes to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMLL4Ufj ... re=related

Thanks,

Ben
Fred

Re: Hydrogen engines

Post by Fred »

It's OK, I'm Kiwi! I try to encourage them to speak/type English ;-)

If you're the gentleman from facebook, then I can say that I watched the youtube video and that the older character does appear to know his stuff :-) The interviewer is brash, though.

Welcome along and excuse the anti spam measures that are in place.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
potterb68
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by potterb68 »

Thank you for the welcome and I'm glad you appreciated the video. I think the interviewer is from a US motor magazine and the youtube videos are excerpts from a DVD. I'm still trying to find my way round this whole hydrogen/alterantive fuels business, prompted by the cost of running a car here in UK. As part of the whole deal I've established some fairly detailed monitoring of expenditure - running one car here is currently costing £0.15/mile for fuel alone - and that is a Volvo V90 converted to LPG. Interestingly, for the period I've been doing this, I have asked many friends and acquantances if they know the true cost of motoring. I have met only two people who had any idea and about half of them said something like 'no, and I've no wish to know'. So I suspect that many people live in a kind of la-la land where they suspect that motoring is very costly but are so accepting of the fact that they can't do without (either due to limited alternatives or pure addiction) that they have no desire to know the facts. Fascinating!

But given that our largest single outgoings are food and running a car I am interested to see what can be done with an energy carrier one can make from wind or solar energy. Hence the interest!

B.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I can vouch for the fact that car ownership in the UK is for the middle and upper classes only :-)

I was staggered when my ex's insurance cost nearly what her car did (900 vs 650), and it was only 3rd party/liability insurance! Then there is the lack of anywhere to park in most places, and the fuel costs which are only worse in northern continental Europe.

I wish you the best of luck dodging it :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
potterb68
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by potterb68 »

Well, oil is a finite resource, whatever anyone may say, so I fully expect prices to double again in the next 10 years. Seems prudent to start thinking about it now!

Anyone here know anything about combined spark/injectors?

Thanks,

Ben