Special Requirements For Timing/Output Event Scheduling

Official FreeEMS vanilla firmware development, the heart and soul of the system!
lumpensack2003
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Special Requirements For Timing/Output Event Scheduling

Post by lumpensack2003 »

Holding everything else constant ... how much timing difference can someone expect to see by going from the slowest burning gasoline to the fastest burning gasoline?
In a special test assembly (lambda = 1, laminar flow, ambient pressure, ambient temperature) you get for flame front velocity (sorry for german notations):
Methanol: 42 cm/s
Propan: 40 cm/s
Benzin: 33 cm/s
Methan: 38 cm/s
If you calculate now, keep in mind, that tese different combustibles need different CRs.
Holding everything else constant ... how much timing difference can someone expect to see by going from the least homogeneous burnable charge mixture to the most homogeneous burnable charge mixture?
Charge homogeneity isn't normally a parameter you're contolling in a reasonable way.
Drop size and stake of fully evaporated fuel are more a result of the used injectors, wall temperatures, charge velocity and injection strategy (resting time of sprayed fuel while inlet valve closed).
Holding everything else constant ... how much timing difference can someone expect to see by going from the leanest burnable charge mixture to the richest burnable charge mixture?
Depending on engine operating point, I would guess up to 10° CA.
Holding everything else constant ... how much timing difference can someone expect to see by going from the least dense burnable charge mixture to the most dense burnable charge mixture?
This you can read off the timing diagram (advance angle over engine speed and load) of your special engine.
Choose an engine operating point and look for advance angle variance at constant engine speed (in german "Drehzahlschnitt").

GJ
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by BenFenner »

I believe you have proven my point, no?

(I'm not sure what methanol, propane, benzine or methane have to do with gasoline?)
lumpensack2003
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by lumpensack2003 »

I believe you have proven my point, no?
Yes, absolutely!
I always succumb to the beauty of stringent argumentation.
Fred

Post by Fred »

BenFenner wrote:(You're talking to pyromaniac #1 in my village here.)

Ben, have you ever seen acetylene burn? How about LPG? How about gasoline? How about Toluene (which is 100% interchangeable with gasoline, just WAY higher octane)? The comparison is much the same. I guess that we're not measuring burn rate as much as burn rate, though. We're assuming that there is a fairly well mixed, which changes the ball game a lot. However, as long as there are droplets, of any size, the above simple test will play into the final outcome a significant amount.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!