Porting MrOnion's OnionBoard to Kicad

A home for new designs that are growing but haven't quite got their legs yet!
Fred

Re: MrOnion's OnionBoard - GP IO/Power PCB (requires CPU boa

Post by Fred »

You don't have to debug it. You just have to give them the failure case and let them play with it. It's how FOSS works :-) Bug reports are one of the most important parts. But as you wish.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Vdubber
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Vdubber »

HAHA, sure. Thats definitely not how FOSS works most of the time. It's more like...

We cannot reproduce your error, can you expand... can you try this... it's the same? ....ok try this... sorry I meant this.... or maybe this...Can you send me this file....Can you try this workaround and let me know if it works...How about now...How about if you disable this as I think it might be causing a conflict...and what happens if you stand on one leg with your left index finger up your nose whilst farting walzing matilda? No it isn't fixed? Then it most definitely must be an issue with Eagle we suggest you take this up with their developer.

No thanks.

Been writing / selling and contributing to OSS since the last millennium. It would be a miraculous day in hell if someone managed to fix something from a single bug report without any further input but I can't see it happening and I just don't have the time for hand holding. I know that makes me sound a bit like a pretentious wanker but that's just how it is.

I tried the KiCad import on three different platforms and for whatever reason it doesn't work. Thats enough time wasted already. I'll move on. Unfortunately I really am very time poor and don't have the time to dick about, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. I'm already committed to developing an EFI system and am happy to put time into that, but unfortunately I don't have time to burn on distractions. There's just too much going on and not enough hours in the day.

Plus I figure that putting the hours into actually creating something in KiCad instead of fixing someone else's stuff will be of more benefit in the long run.
Fred

Post by Fred »

That was a long way of saying "I don't have time". It must've taken you a while to write! :-p

My experience differs. If you show the issue clearly then the fix is usually obvious. What you describe does not sound like FOSS dev, it sounds like Windows user help desk talk.

http://www.sscce.org/

^ yours is pre canned in MrOnion's repo. Kicad X on Y OS, steps 1234 followed, this repo, this hash, these files in it, try it.

Report and walk away, then carry on on your path anyway. As you were.
Vdubber
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Vdubber »

Fred wrote:That was a long way of saying "I don't have time". It must've taken you a while to write! :-p
Like I said I've committed to developing an EFI system which includes partaking in irrelevant banter on their forums, plus I use two fingers to type so I'm twice as fast as the average net dweller. ;) :lol2:

Fred wrote:My experience differs. If you show the issue clearly then the fix is usually obvious.
Unfortunately that is too much of a broad sweeping generalisation. In this case there's too many variables involved, specifically that it involves hacked files from a third party application that were created by plugin scripts from an unofficial contributor. It's already looking like a dodgy love triangle and I haven't even began to compose a bug report. With stuff this convoluted it's not going to end well. Plus not only is it wasting my time, it's now wasting yours too, plus it's taking Mr Onions thread way off topic which is an absolute travesty.

It's also worth considering that my standard reply on my own helpdesk is simply this "Sorry I do not support third party software".

Now back to the topic at hand...

As you were gentlemen ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK. I understood that there was just one third party providing some scripts to convert from one to the other. I meant to send the report to them, not Kicad.

+1 on Ari's thread. I'll split if if you're happy with that.

lol @ twice as fast :-)
Vdubber
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Vdubber »

Fred wrote:+1 on Ari's thread. I'll split if if you're happy with that.
Absolutely, feel free to split the irrelevant bits into the bin :D
Fred

Re: Porting MrOnion's OnionBoard to Kicad

Post by Fred »

Nope, there is no bin for posts, aside from spammers. So here's a new thread. Maybe one that won't go on far. Link to a new 'fledgling" design thread if you do a from-scratch effort. :-)