FreeEMS Board ruzki

A home for new designs that are growing but haven't quite got their legs yet!
ruzki
QFP80 - Contributor

FreeEMS Board ruzki

Post by ruzki »

Inspired by the work of tooly and his 40pin-6 Board.
I wanted to do a Board that fits my requirements and is M$-2 compatible.

It is my first attempt doing something with KiCad.
My main problem is that i don't know what is good and what is bad with this PCB.

The connector on the bottom is for this pins : http://www.conrad.de/ce/ProductDetail.h ... ektronik-I

Georg.
Attachments
Free_EMS_Board_ruzki.zip
(228.48 KiB) Downloaded 969 times
Fred

Re: FreeEMS Board ruzki

Post by Fred »

Hopefully Dan and/or Andy find some time to help with this. I can not. Andy is also very busy. Dan is also very busy.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

I will take a look at the file later on this evening.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I don't use KiCAD at all.

ruzki - can you please produce PDF files for review purposes?
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

1) C1, C2, C5, C6, C11, C12, C13 should be 0.22uF. C14 could be 0.22uF as well to simply your Bill of Materials.

2) The ground side of C2 needs to be connected to the ground side of C3.

3) Your BDM circuit is very wrong as is your LOAD/CEL circuit that you have connected to the BDM circuit, see my schematics at https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/tree/dev to see what they should each look like.

4) You have PE1 (connector pin 15) connecting to both Port A5 and Port P0, you should only connect to one or the other.

5) R5 (1M ohm) is not needed with the XDP512 processor, you can safely delete this component from the schematic.

6) On the CAN transceiver circuit the R12 pull up resistor should be a 10k ohm resistor.

7) Many of your connection points at the processor and the other components are missing the green junction symbol, so they may not be electrically connected when you go to perform the electrical rules check or create the netlist. It is proper form to make sure that all the wire and component connection points have the green junction symbol if they should be connected.

8) Once you correct the above items, the next thing you need to address is the ground plane under the processor, it should look like the one in the MC9S12XDP512RMV2.pdf Figure C-2 on page 1295.

9) One thing you might want add is Port K4 as the firmware can use this as the radiator cooling fan relay output.

10) I do have concerns regarding your choice of connector, I'm not sure how many insertions/removals from the socket on the main PCB the pads/solder joints will take before the pad(s) lift off the PCB or the solder joint(s) fail.

11) One thing to keep in mind is the difference between the M$ BRV circuit and the FreeEMS BRV circuit, you will need to modify the M$ circuit with the proper resistor values or your readings will be incorrect. See the Jaguar schematics that I linked above for the proper values.

OK, that is all I see from a quick 20 minute review of the schematics.

What operating system are you using with KiCAD? If you are using Windows, you can use CutePDF Writer (free download) to create PDFs of your schematics. I use both Debian Wheezy and Windows 7 with KiCAD, but I haven't had much luck with creating PDFs in Linux, the fonts won't render correctly when the PDF is created. So I use my Windows machine with KiCAD and CutePDF to create the PDFs in my github repository.
Fred

Post by Fred »

BRV can be configured to other divider ratios, however it's important that the divider can provide quite a bit of current when asked to.

K4 is just a default fan pin, any pin can be used for this. Depending on connector pin count it might make sense to use a P pin instead.
ruzki
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by ruzki »

wow Andy thank you for your great feedback.
I will work this points out on the weekend and i will make pdfs also.
8) Once you correct the above items, the next thing you need to address is the ground plane under the processor, it should look like the one in the MC9S12XDP512RMV2.pdf Figure C-2 on page 1295.
If this Board works i will do so on the next releases, but for this version i will leave it that way.
7) Many of your connection points at the processor and the other components are missing the green junction symbol, so they may not be electrically connected when you go to perform the electrical rules check or create the netlist. It is proper form to make sure that all the wire and component connection points have the green junction symbol if they should be connected.
I´m not sure about this, i kinda never noted symbols like this ... don't know how they look like
11) One thing to keep in mind is the difference between the M$ BRV circuit and the FreeEMS BRV circuit, you will need to modify the M$ circuit with the proper resistor values or your readings will be incorrect. See the Jaguar schematics that I linked above for the proper values.
This wont be a problem to change on the other Board.

Most of the time im working with Mac but KiCad is not running well with it so i´m usually using KiCad on my Windows PC.
ruzki
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by ruzki »

Ok here is v0.2.
Received the XDP512 processor last friday .. 8-)
10) I do have concerns regarding your choice of connector, I'm not sure how many insertions/removals from the socket on the main PCB the pads/solder joints will take before the pad(s) lift off the PCB or the solder joint(s) fail.
i will be beta tester :lol:
Attachments
Free_EMS_Board_ruzki_v0.2.zip
(663.44 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
ruzki
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by ruzki »

tooly suggested a additional pin for MAF so here ist v0.2b

This board will be sent for production tomorrow... if nobody has concerns

Georg.
Attachments
Free_EMS_Board_ruzki_v0.2b.zip
(596.68 KiB) Downloaded 937 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

Are you crazy? One iteration simply won't be enough. What's the rush?