New Project Thread Guidelines

A home for new designs that are growing but haven't quite got their legs yet!
Fred

New Project Thread Guidelines

Post by Fred »

Just a few obvious things to do before you post up your new thread with your new design! :-)

Firstly, read this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1666

And have a good long hard think about whether it makes sense to create a new design this early in the project's growth with so much unknown about future interface changes. You might end up giving a bunch of people boards that require significant hacking to use with up-to-date firmware.

Secondly, include the following in your first post:
  • Title should be in the form "Someone's Name - Description" or very similar. I reserve the right to edit your titles if unhappy with naming.
  • Start a Users' Rides forum thread about your target vehicle/engine/setup and link it from this post.
  • Describe your goals, requirements and motivations in detail - justify why no existing design works for you.
  • Describe your vision of your new design and how it fulfills the needs of the above requirements/needs/goals.
  • Spec out the styles, likely connector choices, likely case choices, IO quantities, etc as best you can.
  • If you prefer comments be separated, make such a thread and clearly link to it from your first post. Link to your first post from it. I think mixed works best for these, though.
I'm happy to edit the above list. Contact me with your suggestions and comments.

Thirdly, don't be offended by harsh cutting criticism, it only makes your design better. Welcome it with open arms! This is why we're here!

Finally, have *lots* of fun! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!