flat4power's Guepard - a VW type 1 oriented board

A home for new designs that are growing but haven't quite got their legs yet!
Fred

Re: Guepard board

Post by Fred »

Check rav/jag schems again, their load/CEL circuits do not look like yours.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

My thoughts:
1. Double check your CEL/Load circuit as Fred suggested or you will fry the input pin on the MCU.
2. Rename MAT to SPR1 or delete it, as it isn't currently used for anything, it is a spare input.
3. In your crystal circuit, make sure to use the crystal manufacturer's suggested load capacitors, they might not be 20pF like I used.
4. Do you have access to a 1 pulse per engine cycle (commonly called a camshaft angle sensor)? If so, you can time the injections to the cylinder firing order, otherwise it will be untimed batch injection.
5. Double check your MAP and AAP sensors you want to use, the MPX4250AP 6 pin through hole sensor and the MPXA6115AC6U 8-SOP 8 pin SMD sensor have different pin outs and you can not connect the 8-SOP to the 6 pin through hole pinout or you will fry the SMD sensor.
6. Make sure to note that most resistors (except the 1k and 3.9k BRV resistors, and the IAT/SPR1/Coolant 2.49k resistors, which should be 0.1% tolerance or better) should be 1% metal film resistors.
7. The other resistor exceptions are your R18 and R19 should be 10k ohm 2W resistors if you are using a Variable Reluctance (VR) RPM sensor.
8. On your Outputs schematic, I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the XOR since you can choose TC442x ICs that have 2 non-inverting, 1 non-inverting/1 inverting or 2 inverting outputs. If you are using something like GM LS1/LS2 5v logic level coils, you would use a TC4427 IC (2 non-inverting outputs).
9. I would add pin 6 on your DB-25 connector should be RPM-Crank-Shield (GND).
10. Same DB-25 connector, I would add pin 24 to be another injector ground.
11. Since you used the Jaguar and RAVage schematics, make sure to include the LICENSE.TXT file, my Jaguar is licensed under GNU GPL version 2.
12. Dan or Fred will need to look at your Digital Inputs, as I don't have any on the Jaguar PCB.

That's all I can think of for now, other than the above points you have a good start :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

DeuceEFI wrote:My thoughts:
Thamks! All good, cept:
4. Do you have access to a 1 pulse per engine cycle (commonly called a camshaft angle sensor)? If so, you can time the injections to the cylinder firing order, otherwise it will be untimed batch injection.
Not true. All injection in FreeEMS is timed. With crank only you get two pulse per cycle timed semi-sequential injection. It is batch, but not how batch is commonly understood (all four wired up together).
8. On your Outputs schematic, I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the XOR since you can choose TC442x ICs that have 2 non-inverting, 1 non-inverting/1 inverting or 2 inverting outputs. If you are using something like GM LS1/LS2 5v logic level coils, you would use a TC4427 IC (2 non-inverting outputs).
Post build configurability is the reason to do that.
9. I would add pin 6 on your DB-25 connector should be RPM-Crank-Shield (GND).
10. Same DB-25 connector, I would add pin 24 to be another injector ground.
+1 More == merrier, 1 per other signal, optimally.
11. Since you used the Jaguar and RAVage schematics, make sure to include the LICENSE.TXT file, my Jaguar is licensed under GNU GPL version 2.
RavAGE schematics will likely be permissively free, so that's no big deal/desired. It looked to me like he'd used some of your files, though, but I could be wrong.
12. Dan or Fred will need to look at your Digital Inputs, as I don't have any on the Jaguar PCB.
Easy to make work, hard to make optimal. See this: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2012

Fred.
Dan

Post by Dan »

the way your current CEL circuit is configured WILL burn your cpu when the jumper is installed (there is nothing to limit current from the CPU pin to ground)

this is how it should be

Your PLL circuit appears to be correct (I am just looking at the *important* circuits in detail)

You can get crystals which are stable from 18pf - 22pf, but using caps that are 18pf gives you more choice when it comes to selecting a crystal for your CPU clock circuit. Fine as it is, but change it if you feel the need.

I would also remove the 5V6 zener from the output of your micro +5v regulator circuit, as I don't feel it is required (I am unsure of your setup exactly though).
Also, why such a large (47uF) capacitor on the output of this regulator? (purely out of curiosity)

Nice work! :-) Keep it up!

Dan
flat4power
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by flat4power »

Hi,

I made some modifications with your help

power circuit:
injectors circuit:
ignition circuit:

Matthieu
Fred

Post by Fred »

Matthieu, you don't need the XOR chips for a normal configuration, they're purely for a fully configurable box. Simplify that a LOT by removing them. You don't need dual supplies, and it's more trouble than it's worth for a simple setup. Your regulators DEFINITELY NEED heatsinks, so build that into the design too. I'd rock a single LM2940 if I were you. The fancy clamp is also only for idiot installations, not strictly necessary and a simple 3W 5.6V zener will *probably* (not definitely) protect you from small mistakes. However it's all 100% OK as is to my eyes. Good work.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Yep

What Fred said! :-)

Looking good mate!
flat4power

Post by flat4power »

Fred wrote:The fancy clamp is also only for idiot installations, not strictly necessary and a simple 3W 5.6V zener will *probably* (not definitely) protect you from small mistakes.
I don't understand that. sorry :?

I'm going modify what you say now

ignitors circuit:
Fred

Post by Fred »

flat4power

Post by flat4power »

like that ?