MrOnion's OnionBoard - GP IO/Power PCB (requires CPU board)

A home for new designs that are growing but haven't quite got their legs yet!
Vdubber
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: MrOnion's OnionBoard - GP IO/Power PCB (requires CPU boa

Post by Vdubber »

MrOnion wrote: I already made a separate branch for the board with it's own VR conditioner. It's a quick draft based on Jaguar:

The VR circuit is not in github yet.
Any plans to release this particular version? I would be interested in making one up
MrOnion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by MrOnion »

I could, but not planning to produce any physical ones. I can take a look at the current state of the project and maybe push the changes into github if they still look solid.

As a side note my own onionboard setup in the golf has been running without any problems so far and there is another board ready to be used with a toyota 1JZ engine. As I mentioned in our private chat the injector+aux output pulldown resistors were not connected to cpu ground as intended so the grounding goes via engine block ;). I did some wire wrapping myself to correct the issue.

I have a plan of making a few minimalistic boards in the future. Not a one-board-to-rule-them-all type but rather selfish 2+2 semi seq/wasted spark for 4-cyl kind. Maybe i'll post a pic here when I have something to show.
Vdubber
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Vdubber »

MrOnion wrote:I could, but not planning to produce any physical ones. I can take a look at the current state of the project and maybe push the changes into github if they still look solid.
That would be appreciated.
MrOnion wrote:As a side note my own onionboard setup in the golf has been running without any problems so far and there is another board ready to be used with a toyota 1JZ engine. As I mentioned in our private chat the injector+aux output pulldown resistors were not connected to cpu ground as intended so the grounding goes via engine block ;). I did some wire wrapping myself to correct the issue.

I have a plan of making a few minimalistic boards in the future. Not a one-board-to-rule-them-all type but rather selfish 2+2 semi seq/wasted spark for 4-cyl kind. Maybe i'll post a pic here when I have something to show.
That'd be cool. It's similar to the path that I want to take, no frills just the bare essentials to run 4 cyls all on one board - eg Processor, VR conditioning etc. Are you open to feature requests? :D :D :D

I will address the pulldown resistor issue when I assemble the board. Cheers.

I did take a look at modding your board in Eagle to add in the processor but found that you've pretty much maximised the free board usage space and there simply isn't the available room in the free version of the program. I was going to indulge in the full version of Eagle but was directed to take a look at KiCad. Do you know if it is possible to port from Eagle to KiCad?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ha! I'd completely forgotten that it was done in Eagle. I must have been doing reviews based on PDFs or something.

If you pay attention to vias and layout you could probably copy it over with moderate effort. It's not exactly a complicated board :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!