FreeEMS Live! (CD/DVD) Idea Only, Not Available.

A place for small project requests from the team to exist and grow into something fully fledged and useful to the masses.
Fred

FreeEMS Live! (CD/DVD) Idea Only, Not Available.

Post by Fred »

Would anyone like to take on the task of setting up a fairly automatic build system that puts the latest of everything in a live disk OS and makes it available for download? This will likely leverage the quick start script idea, but all burned to a disk and loaded into ram on boot. See the quick start script thread idea here:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1610

Maybe Knoppix would be a good base? Or are there better ones these days?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: FreeEMS Live! (CD/DVD)

Post by Dan »

that would be freaking awesome! I want one! :-)
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

This could be very useful at some point to hand out to potential developers, offered at LUGs, or (selectively) at car events as an introduction to the project and tools. Throw in a desktop background with the FreeEMS logo, icons to common apps (tuning, firmware loader, serial, terminal, git management, etc.), basic docs, and diyefi.org as the browser start page.

An ISO might also be good to get a lot of testing minions on the same page: "Everyone download the lates ISO and update your firmware! We need to test these new features in the wild and collect some solid freedback." As someone who uses a laptop without a harddrive to occasionally boot live CDs, I can see a release cycle being useful and existing off ISOs for the most part.

And while I'm not normally an advocate of business card CD-ROMs, they work well for carrying around and handing out. Mere mortals love that sort of thing. Just slap the logo on a batch and bam.

-Jeff

EDIT: fixed some typos.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The branding and get the idea out there thing would be great, but until we go to a regular usable release cycle with a usable tuning GUI everyone's going to need to grab the latest of everything all the time, so one that was update-able would be the goer.

Another point made was that CDs suck, but USB sticks are great, which got me thinking: Bulk Chinese USB sticks could be bought, branded, loaded, and given out. Then the branding would stay in circulation even if they got reused for GP stuff. I guess the small CDs could be reused too... for beer coasters :-)
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: FreeEMS Live! (CD/DVD) Idea Only, Not Available.

Post by masterkorp »

I just tough of this at the moment, found the thread. It would be a pleasure to handle this.

Some toughts
  • Be Debian or debian-based, no brainer here, perfectly stable and know plataform to deliver
  • Contain the lastest stable debs from the freeems toolset currently provided by fred
  • A copy of all the freeems related git repositories, being firmware, hardware.
  • An offline version of the forum and/or future wiki, this may be the best stuff, lets say most newbies will be working offline at their shop or the computer will not be set up to a connection, so a way to search this forum would be nice, (mostly like the arch-wiki package on Archlinux, so offline doc will be resolved
  • Have a quick way to get support, being an pre set up irc client and the thread on the forum on the browser.
  • An update mechanism, using chef made logic
  • Continous deployment of images, like weekly and deliver, torrent, gnunet and http downloads of it, I already have a personal setup for this.
  • Be dd tool friendly, this means no bullshit partition of the usb and so on, so the most common tool like Unetbootin can load the iso to a usb drive
  • Enable some partial data persistency, because if you bother to a usb flash drive you maybe want to use it on your shop/whatever and have some logs/map dumps there, kicad files whatever.
  • Be virtualbox/VMware friendly, because some may want to do their work built in while they do not set up the tools to their favorite OS
Just not a live cd, but an easy contained platform for new users, something that could on the front page and users could get the torrent and burn with and easy to use tool like dd or unetbootin.

So what you guys think ?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fine, but you do not have permission to copy/duplicate/cache the forum content in any way shape or form, and this will not change. On the other hand, at some point there will be proper documentation, and that could be included in either HTML or PDF format.
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by masterkorp »

Understandable the forum part, I will start scratching this soon