Whizzo944's Jaguar 0.7 Alpha build

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
whizzo944
QFP80 - Contributor

Whizzo944's Jaguar 0.7 Alpha build

Post by whizzo944 »

Hello All,
Received my Jaguar 0.7 option #3 kit from Andy. So, here come the questions :-)
1 This board has test firmware loaded, correct? If so, what will I expect to see when I power it up and
connect it to a terminal?
2 Eventually I hope that this is going to run my 'bike project, do I post my engine specs. etc. here so a configuration
file can be created?
3 VR crank sensor input polarity, is the signal from the sensor supposed to go positive with an approaching tooth?

TIA,

Dave.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Whizzo944's Jaguar 0.7 Alpha build

Post by DeuceEFI »

Hi Dave and welcome along :)
whizzo944 wrote:1 This board has test firmware loaded, correct? If so, what will I expect to see when I power it up and connect it to a terminal?
The Jaguar PCBs that are SMD only builds or full builds include the latest FreeEMS Benchtest firmware from the FreeEMS build server bulids.freeems.org that was available on the day that I completed the PCB build. Once you build the CPU power supply you should see the CEL (D1) blink at a rate of 0.5 Hertz and you should be able to use EMStudio to view/edit the tables.

If you use Microsoft Windows as your operating system you will want to load the FTDI driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM ... tified.exe as well as disable the Microsoft Serial BallPoint mouse driver by following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2301.

No driver is needed for Linux (at least with Debian, which is what I use) to my knowledge, others may correct me for other distributions. I also have not tested the FTDI with MacOS, so someone who uses that may chime in as well.
whizzo944 wrote:2 Eventually I hope that this is going to run my 'bike project, do I post my engine specs. etc. here so a configuration file can be created?
You can post and link your bike project specifications in the User's Rides section at viewforum.php?f=3 so we as a community can help you with the configuration for FreeEMS.
whizzo944 wrote:3 VR crank sensor input polarity, is the signal from the sensor supposed to go positive with an approaching tooth?
I am going to leave this for someone else to answer as I haven't used VR sensor on any of my engines so far...
Fred

Post by Fred »

whizzo944 wrote:1 This board has test firmware loaded, correct? If so, what will I expect to see when I power it up and connect it to a terminal?
With firmware a terminal will produce a flood of binary data. Without firmware, or with the load jumper installed, you'll get nothing unless you talk to it.
whizzo944 wrote:2 Eventually I hope that this is going to run my 'bike project, do I post my engine specs. etc. here so a configuration file can be created?
You can post and link your bike project specifications in the User's Rides section at viewforum.php?f=3 so we as a community can help you with the configuration for FreeEMS.
He already did, and, for the record, that's where the info belongs: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2472
whizzo944 wrote:3 VR crank sensor input polarity, is the signal from the sensor supposed to go positive with an approaching tooth?
I believe so, yes. You'll find out on the bench, though, as it will not sync if it's wrong. If you have a clean bench setup, it will even tell you that it's backward, and to swap it ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

whizzo944 wrote:As an aside, I couldn't find a BOM on Github, I am just building my board by looking at the schematics.
Look in the docs dir it's there. Be sure to be on the correct branch or tag at the time, though.
whizzo944
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by whizzo944 »

Thanks Fred, I did find a BOM for 0.6 alpha, which I believe is the same ? I'm actually finding it easier to have the schematics
in front of me, so I can see what the components are doing. Thanks too to Andy for the heads-up on the C7 thing, because it
was already installed on my board, I wouldn't have discovered that. Can I ask what effects you noticed with the wrong value
of C7 ?

TIA

Dave.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Things like this: viewtopic.php?p=38813#p38813

And much much worse. :-) Fairly random, though.

For thanks, this is your order of precedence re C7:

AncientGeek, johntramp, me, Andy. You can thank AncientGeek and johntramp for finding it, me for quickly verifying it and making a lot of noise, and Andy for following up with PMs and checklists.
whizzo944
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by whizzo944 »

Heeeellp !
I am almost finished building my Jaguar 0.7 board, which port do I connect the inputs for the injector
and ignitor drivers to ?

TIA,

Dave
Fred

Post by Fred »

This depends upon how you're going to setup the engine. IIRC you are running wasted spark ignition, if so your ignition drivers are already connected to PORT T2 and T3. For the time being you'll also be running semi sequential injection, so you could hook four FETs up to PORT T4 and T5 in pairs. This could also be done in software, after hooking to T4567, however given the extra overhead and your high RPM requirements, I'd not recommend that.