Jaguar 0.7-alpha release candidate discussion

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Jaguar 0.7-alpha release candidate discussion

Post by Fred »

Good spotting!

Original JP3 and JP4 are likely long gone, I would say. IIRC there were some points to allow customisations on the PCB in past versions?

R55 gets a mention in the FTDI docs AFAIK. I'm pretty sure it's not required, but is recommended to place anyway.

Andy can, and likely will, confirm the above, and correct these details if necessary! Thanks for your input! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Rickster wrote:I noticed that the ft232 schematic had notes regarding JP3 and JP4. I did not see those noted anywhere on that schematic? Only on the injector schematic...
Those jumper designations were left overs from an older version of the PCB and they were used on the Jaguar 0-1-alpha and 0.2-alpha designs that I etched originally at home.
Rickster wrote:Perhaps a brief note explaining what R55 is/can be used for?
_RESET is an active low reset pin. This can be used by an external device to reset the FT232RL. If not required, it can be left unconnected or pulled up to VCC.
Rickster wrote:Excellent work!

I WILL be building one of these in the near future.
Thanks, hopefully we can finalize the schematic and board design this week so I can place the order for the PCBs 8-)
topcyde
TO220 - Visibile

Post by topcyde »

DeuceEFI if I mail you some dollars can you send me one of those pcb's when you get them?
SkipUsername
TO220 - Visibile

Post by SkipUsername »

topcyde wrote:DeuceEFI if I mail you some dollars can you send me one of those pcb's when you get them?
Maybe we can make a list? :idea: Me personally and many others probably interested.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

If you don't need the high side drive or the remote USB etc... buy my DAZZLING Jaguar 0.6 PCBs, but wait there is more, I can put the MCU and serial monitor on for a small fee. No more of that painful waiting. This could be you: Image
Hentai
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Hentai »

impregacy how much if you put the mcu and serial monitor on it?
I'm interested in buying it.
topcyde
TO220 - Visibile

Post by topcyde »

I saw the update on github. Is it about ready for the send off to the printers? How about the handling of the components? Do you do a group buyin to get the price down by volume, or setup like a kit package or how? I'm new around here but find this pretty interesting, and have a few engines laying around I'd like to electrify. Different sizes from a 5HP B&S to a small block V8 Olds Rocket. I'm willing to help out with component kitting if that's needed. I've been looking for an excuse to build a reflow oven anyways, if some people need some pre-propegatted boards.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hi topcyde,

I had some issues with my 0.6 board that I've been trying to diagnose and as a result stumbled upon some bad layout in the current design. Andy has a list of changes to make to rectify the issue(s) and is probably going to have that complete this weekend. If that happens early enough, it'd be my great pleasure to assist him in cutting a release of it. And at that point, he can place an order for maybe 50 of them, or some such number. After that everyone can order theirs from him, with or without stuff soldered on, and with or without bags of parts. I imagine pricing will be similar to last time we did this, and that once again, he'll only offer full BOM kits or nothing. IE, jewish builders will have to sort their own partial BOM out without spending his or my time.

I would say this 0.7 spin will probably be the last alpha release, with only a beta or two and then a final 1.0 Jaguar release and associated party :-D It's a suitably flexible and complete design to work well for us into the foreseeable future with the exception of fancy stuff like knock sense, SD card logging, and so forth which would need more sophisticated hardware. It'll be really good to get this one knocked out and into test on as many vehicles as possible. There has been a dry spell of installs for a while now, and that needs to change :-D

Fred.
topcyde
TO220 - Visibile

Post by topcyde »

I really like the versatility of the Jaguar design, as it sports a healthy set of options without being encumbering. I hope to maybe help out that dry spell of installs, even if they are just on engine test stands. Right now my plan is to set it up on a Briggs single cylinder that I also intend to convert from vertical shaft to horizontal. A Suzuki 230cc single pumper, and an Oldmobile Smal block 255. Haven't seen anything like them rigged up yet and thought they'd be fun test projects for everyone to laugh at me stumbling though. Maybe if I get my suburban back togther in some semblance of reasonable time I can rig the jag on a running driving 350SBC. I also might get to convince my buddy to let me slap it on his RZR and trounce it around the dunes.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Me too, I love what the Jaguar is, and what it can be adapted to do :-) I hate how long it takes to get one properly setup/installed/in use/reliable. But it's ideal for the project at this time, IMO. Only the hard working and dedicated belong here, anyway.