Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Post by Fred »

No, state clears are totally normal with key on and engine off. Serial errors can happen during initial comms setup etc. You can clear these while running and ensure they don't come back. Or do, in the case of the sync state clears.

Another note: Use EMStudio, not MTX, MTX has limited support and may be out of date with current firmware, bad architecture, and could cause corruption, etc.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Proud to have the 36-1 code working today. I can't believe I figured out how to change the make file and build it.

Tested the decoder with this drill press setup. Mounted the ford 36-1 wheel and sensor.

Got a sync right away!

Looks like the drill came up to speed in less than a second. I will have to zoom and and see if you think it is stable enough.

could not get logging to work with emstudio for the life of me. does it only start when the engine is running?
Fred

Post by Fred »

You shouldn't need to change the make file to build it. No guarantees if you're running non-default tooling, no support either (on a car, that is). You didn't even need to build it, the latest is always on the build server waiting for you: http://builds.freeems.org/firmware/dev/ ... -defaults/

EMStudio logs by default and immediately upon connection. If it interrogated OK then it was already logging.

Drills have a good torque-to-inertia ratio.

Fred.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Ok thank you Fred. I didn't know the 36-1 build was there, ha. In the /src/main/makefile, 36-1 was not in the list of single decoder builds--after I added it, it seemed to work, but really I have no idea what I'm doing. I used the toolchain from this site, and think it is up to date. I will need to be able to build the firmware in order to start configuring for my truck correct?

Okay I do see a log from emstudio. there are some .bins and meta somethings in there. When I open with OLV, I don't see any data and all the fields are greyed out. Seems odd, as the files are about 3MB.

MTX logs just fine, it is nice to be able to pick variables and stop/start/save. Plus I have been able to import the .logs to excel, my preferred post processing tool.

edit: Reading through all the posts about OLV found one with the secret treasure of knowledge to use it. You drag the light grey variables into the dark grey box "that is labeled remove" to add them. I'm going to add this to the user manual thread if I can--for the people like myself with no intuition.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yeah, when you start configuring it you at least need to have git available, and preferably your own tools. Fair enough :-)

The top level make file is nothing more than a convenience. If you just wanted to build a 36-1 you can do that from within the src/main dir with zero mods.

I saw in another thread you figured out OLV :-) MTX is behind the ball FreeEMS wise, don't use it. It's going to become more behind the ball/broken, too.

Fred.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Been browsing the university surplus store for a PCB case and finally found him--Jerrold that is--his name is Jerrold. Actually that is what I should call my truck project "JERROLD"

A beautiful cast aluminum piece with a hinged lid and o-ring seal. Inside there looked to be RF stuff from the 1960s or something--maybe a signal attenuator of some sort?

Somewhat off topic, but getting the lawn mower ready for the spring here and added a ford crank position sensor. Conveniently, the cooling fan has 18 evenish spaced fins with 2 fins missing. I may try to configure a build for 18-2 and see how clean the signal is.

edit: spelling
Last edited by Impregacy on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Nice box! :-)

What material is that fan made from?
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Definitely ferrous. Not sure if cast steel or iron. Magnet sticks. I'm worried about the fin shape though kind of round and beveled.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Perhaps should start a lawmower build thread.

I attempted to configure for 18-2, hooking up the mower and cranking. Here is a snapshot of the log.

It seems to retain crank sync the whole time. I don't know if I configured the firmware correctly because 900 RPM seems like too much, but maybe not for a little V-twin.

Also alarming is the fact that it varies from ~650 to 930 RPM can that be normal for cranking?
Fred

Post by Fred »

AWESOME! I'll be jealous if you take first small engine! I was planning to have a crack at that myself :-D

Yes, huge variations are normal cranking. It's partly a lie, and partly an under-statement. But yes, normal. And cranking on a tiny engine is likely fast :-)

If you used a Cam version of missing tooth it'd halve it, and still sync up fine, just FYI. However the file name on your desktop tells me you did it right.

Load this field up and see if it's solid the entire time: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2371

Also load up syncResetCalls and ensure it's static in value throughout the cranking.

Fred.