Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Post by Impregacy »

Ordered some Jags from china after botching an attempt to hand etch one.

Started working on one last night:

Things were looking fine, then i failed in general according to usbdm. Any ideas?

out of curiosity what firmware should be on my bdm?
Fred

Re: Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Post by Fred »

You need to add more capacitors around the CPU. You also need to add the clock components. The CPU config resistors may not be required, but are good to add too. Do those then try again.

Also, flick Andy a thank you via paypal ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Yes thank you Fred, and of course Andy. Board design looks great!

I failed to show the current state of affairs when I got the error:

-Double checked the components. They should be correct. Checked tant cap polarities
-Followed the assem. instructions carefully.

I get the error when I press the chip detect button
-load header is jumpered
-cel light is on when I plug in the USBDM
-USBDM led blinks briefly when I hit chip detect
-Also fixed the .xml files to allow detecting newer chips

My fear now is I burnt the chip or there is something amiss with the output of the BDM

Do I have to apply power from 12V to the MCU power suppy, or does it get what it needs through the USBDM?

I may have over heated the chip going at the solder bridges with braid?
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

You do not need the LOAD jumper installed to use the USBDM, it is only used once you have the serial monitor program loaded (which is what you are doing with the USBDM).

The USBDM looks to be the DIY one from my github repository, so it should be supplying +5v and GND to the processor from the USB bus of your PC. With that said you don't need the +12v supply connected on the Jaguar board, the USBDM takes care of powering the microcontroller for you.

If you are using a 32-bit Ubuntu, you can use the USBDM v4.9.4 firmware and software from my USBDM page at http://www.coolefi.com/usbdm.php

You could have overheated the IC, or you could still have a solder bridge or two preventing the crystal clock circuit from functioning. Also make sure the case of the crystal isn't shorting out to the leads of the crystal from excess solder under the crystal.

Does the USBDM detect the microcontroller correctly when you click on the "Detect" button? Or are you choosing the XDP512 manually from the drop down list?

That's all I can think of at this late (early morning hour)...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Supplying the board with 6+ volts is a good thing, though. Sometimes the USB "5V" isn't very much like the 5V that you need. The closer to 6V you get the less heat will come out of the regs. 9V DC adaptors are a good compromise. I've seen people have trouble powering it with the BDM/USB feed... so it could be your issue.

+1 on the "does it detect or do you choose" question.

Fred.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Thank you Andy and Fred. That did help, got the SM loaded! Also had a problem with the RST pin on the USBDM I found trouble shooting it with terminal commands.

Now the adventure continues trying to get serial coms. Sorry, I might be having trouble because I'm a bit new to the fine pitch SMD stuff. The FTDI doesn't seem to be getting power. I don't see how it can unless through U8. When I power everything up I do get 5V on the S12X side of the U8, and I see action on TX and RX using the logic analyzer, but all is quiet on the FTDI front. Also I didn't see instruction to install R55, do I need it?

Thank you
Fred

Post by Fred »

FTDI gets its power from the USB cable once plugged in, only. FT232RL chips ARE easy to fry, unlike the CPU which is quite rugged. I've cooked a couple of FT232RL chips :-( You have to be very careful, and do very quick solder joints on there. Soaking it in heat to wick the solder away can be done, but it's not easy to do it without damaging the IC.

Unsure what R55 is for, do a small screeny of the schematic section with it in if you want help on that from me. Don't know what U8 is, either. Try to make your posts stand alone without schem/pcb reference where possible for quicker answers.

Which SM did you load? From fw git repo or from post on forum? Name?

Fred.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Do Jaguars meow or roar? REEEAOOWW!

Try to make your posts stand alone without schem/pcb reference where possible for quicker answers.
LOL sorry after staring at these schematics so much lately I fall into thinking everyone must be doing this, but in reality we are an odd group and almost nobody does this stuff. :lol:

R55 is in the UART section of the board by the TXRX LEDs. It's not mentioned to install it, but I did anyway.

U8 is the logic isolater for serial, and turned out to have no issues.
FT232RL chips ARE easy to fry
I thought this was the issue, but since 5V wasn't even getting to the FTDI, I started sniffing around and turned out 5V was not getting through the ferrite bead on the USB 5V trace. If anyone could have fried a ferrite bead and not an FTDI, it's this guy. :mrgreen:
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

R55 isn't needed for the FTDI to work correctly for our application.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Okay thank you Andy.

Played around in megatunix a little bit. Figured my next step should be to learn how the bench test stuff works. Might also put the 36-1 firmware on and try out my wheel/sensor with a drill or something.

When megatunix starts, it shows some errors in red. Anybody know if these are a serious issue?