Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Impregacy's Jaguar 0.6 build

Post by Fred »

OK, if your sensor isn't bolted to 3mm steel or 6mm+ alloy, it's not good enough. And even with those materials, keep the brackets short and well braced.

The other possible reason for it is sheer variance in the magnetic flux centres of the "teeth" and lack of accounting for the missing one properly by filling the gap appropriately.

And a final thought, make sure you adjust the scale of the trace to be from 0 to your max so as to not give false impressions of size. Sometimes a clean trace with low range looks noisy by default until you do this.

PS, sync can go and come quite quickly such that you miss it. Better is the OK_TO_SCHEDULE flag as detailed here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2371 But best still is sync loss count, the increments are obvious even if the loss of state itself is not.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Mini update, moving slower on these projects now that I have a newborn son, but made a little progress:

Significantly reinforced the VR sensor bracket. Welded on another strip of steel and a stainless pipe for the barrel of the sensor to slide into. Then put a set screw to hold the tip securely.

Still no change on the RPM signal though. Must be those flux capacitance centers of the wheel teeth like Fred mentioned. It seems to keep the sync state, so I will procede. Still eed to populate the board for pressure sensors and wire up the coils and such.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Does it count if I am running ignition only and only 1 cylinder is firing?

http://youtu.be/bgwN9CWn1cM
Fred

Post by Fred »

Why only one cylinder? Ignition only definitely counts :-) Fix the second cylinder!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Fred wrote:Why only one cylinder? Ignition only definitely counts :-) Fix the second cylinder!
1. I was wondering the same thing. 2.Is it #32 or something then? 3.I'm on it!--just purchased an inductive timing lamp.
Fred

Post by Fred »

1) OK
2) Will be 33 if you're quick about that second cylinder, but I guess it counts anyway? I'll let the community decide :-)
3) Cool, sort that shit out!

First 2 cylinder and first lawnmower! :-D

Fred.
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

If ignition is repeatable on demand, "33" belongs to Impregacy.

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mate, is it odd fire? And if it is, did you set the angles in the config appropriately?
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm still not sure if it is odd-fire. Documentation is thin to say the least on these mower engines-the service manual I have isn't even consistant with which cylinder is #1. The 2 pistons share a crank throw, but from what I can tell the 2nd cylinder fires ~240 degrees after the 1st. Determined by sticking a depth gauge down the spark plug hole and watching the valves. I think I may have been quite off with the trigger offset. I was also shocked to find that these little mower engines run static timing of about 28 btdc! I guess because the compression is low, poor chamber, poor mixing and so on.

I think I will make a thread for the mower in the freeems vehicles section where it should have been all along, and continue the saga there.

More related to the build of the Jaguar 0.6 board--I fried something on the first board I had been using. It was using a card board box as an enclosure. During one tuning session it fell out and emmitted a small plume of smoke. Hopefully everyone can learn from my shoddy practices and build a proper enclosure before putting the ecu to use.

I'm putting the spare board together with a proper enclosure now. This enclosue use to be the factory motorola cell phone system from the trunk of a 1992 Lexus.

Probably will build the jaguar 0.7 into the Jerrold enclosure for my truck soon.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Impregacy wrote:I'm still not sure if it is odd-fire. Documentation is thin to say the least on these mower engines-the service manual I have isn't even consistant with which cylinder is #1. The 2 pistons share a crank throw, but from what I can tell the 2nd cylinder fires ~240 degrees after the 1st. Determined by sticking a depth gauge down the spark plug hole and watching the valves.
What is the V angle? 120? Have faith in yourself re TDC angle, with a shared journal and a specific V angle, it can only be one of two possible places for a 4 stroke, and if you watched the valves, then you know which of those two it's at.
I think I may have been quite off with the trigger offset.
Shit happens :-)
I was also shocked to find that these little mower engines run static timing of about 28 btdc! I guess because the compression is low, poor chamber, poor mixing and so on.
You can do MUCH better than that :-) Due to the loadless nature of the thing, it actually makes sense to do that as it would never linger at low RPM and high load, the only place less timing would be required.
I think I will make a thread for the mower in the freeems vehicles section where it should have been all along, and continue the saga there.
Cool, hurry up and get it running right, though! :-D Then upload vids so I can make a fuss about you :-p
It was using a card board box as an enclosure.
ROFL!
During one tuning session it fell out and emmitted a small plume of smoke.
What's with all you user types? I've never managed to make smoke come out of a FreeEMS box. You and AncientGeek have a knack for destroying them :-D
I'm putting the spare board together with a proper enclosure now. This enclosue use to be the factory motorola cell phone system from the trunk of a 1992 Lexus.

LuxuryEMS, built from only the finest car remains! :-)

Fred.