Jaguar Licensing Change

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Jaguar Licensing Change

Post by DeuceEFI »

After giving this careful consideration and after several face to face discussions between a group of traveling FreeEMS developers back in November 2013 along with recent discussions on IRC, I have decided that from this point forward the Jaguar PCB design and schematics will be dual licensed as follows:

Schematic License:
The Jaguar KiCAD .sch schematic files will be under a slightly modified MIT License (the modification is to mention the .sch schematic files specifically). This allows anyone to freely use the KiCAD .sch schematic source files to develop their own schematic and board layout, allowing for the DIY community to modify the schematics to suit their own purpose without further restrictions on the PCB design they create from the schematics in my Jaguar repository. This means that everyone has access to high quality schematics as a start to their own FreeEMS compatible hardware project and they can license their schematics, PCB design and documentation however they wish.

Jaguar PCB License:
The Jaguar PCB design, layout, documentation and Gerber files will be under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

You are free to:
  • Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:
  • Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made.
    You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
  • NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
  • No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others
    from doing anything the license permits.
This allows you to use/modify the Jaguar PCBs sold by me or have some made from my unaltered Gerber design files for personal use, but you are not allowed to sell the Jaguar PCBs created from my Gerber design files commercially. This allows for me to be compensated for my hundreds of hours spent on the design and testing of the Jaguar PCBs and prevents someone else from creating and marketing a "Jaguar by Joe Somebody" which could be confused with my Jaguar boards.

There are permissible exceptions to the above terms and they are specified in the LICENSE.md file in my repository:
https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob/dev/LICENSE.md

EDIT: Corrected list formatting. 1/31/2014
Last edited by DeuceEFI on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Re: Jaguar Licensing Change

Post by Fred »

Andy, you will never know how much I value your fair-minded-ness, diligence, thoroughness, and attention to detail! As far as I'm concerned this license change is purely a good thing for both you and the community. Anyone with half a brain will realise that anything that benefits you (or I for that matter!) benefits us all! Allowing others to DIY your board freely is what is really needed to keep this place how it is. It's also what's missing from certain other communities that shall remain nameless. Ensuring that only you get to profit from the Jaguar PCB is nothing but absolutely fair. Ensuring that future FreeEMS hardware designs have the same solid foundation that Jaguar has, no matter what their licensing orientation is, is generous and self-less and to the benefit of all future users! I commend you! <3
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Matthijs
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Matthijs »

Super fair license to me. I really appreciate that you share all this to us, the DIY croud, to make this project possible with a robust, well developed schematic and even the option to buy a PCB at cost price. I would give you a medal for it =]
It is super fair that you are the (only) one commercially exploiting the PCB since you are the one who created it :)
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by masterkorp »

One big step !
Costa
Banned!

Post by Costa »

Good stuff :)
previously: ca7
Rickster