Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Post by Fred »

Robert, please stop using this "PXX" nomenclature, it means nothing to anyone. Please describe the connection points with their designated names, and if that's vague, or the board has issues, use near-by landmarks to clarify. Re-ask and we'll attempt to answer.

Yes, use RPM0 for your input. No deletion should be needed if you followed the build guides that we carefully put up for your enjoyment. If you rushed ahead, follow those instructions in order to fix it.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

"Pxx" means nothing to anyone??

I'm following the Jaguar schematic. Pxx denotes conn-1, a single pin connector. I can't seem to find any direct reference, but from examining the PCB file and the board itself it looks to me like P32 is labled "ign-12v" on the silk screen.

Sorry for the confusion.

The documentation on the schematic states that R23 should be populated for VR input only. So, I'm asking you to confirm that it should not be populated for TFI input.

The documentation states that R22 should not be populated for VR input, which infers that it should be populated for hall input. BUT. I seem to recall from our conversation on the week end, that because TFI is a 12 volt signal, that the pull up should not be populated.

R22 is a 5 volt pull up. R83 is a 5 volt pull up.

Were you referring to R22, or R83, or both?
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
Fred

Post by Fred »

It's true that I said not to install the pullup on the +ve input pin. I don't know the part number of that resistor, however you should be able to figure it out. The other resistor is NOT a pull up, it's half of a voltage divider on the -ve pin. The topology should make this obvious to you.

About the Pxx, if it's not written on the board, likely no one knows it off the top of their head. Not me, anyway. I do believe I spotted Andy opening up CAD packages to figure out what you were talking about, too. It's just a practical thing. The board should mostly document itself, especially at a user/connection/configuration level.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

So, are you going to answer my questions or are we just going to do some silly sparring?
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
Fred

Post by Fred »

WTF? I *DID* answer your question! I don't have a Jaguar in front of me, and I don't remember the designators for all ~250 parts, either. The circuits are pretty obvious and you have the schematic open so you can determine what a divider and pull up look like. The schematic has very detailed documentation in it, too. :-p
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Fred,
New day, new attempt.

I'm not an electronics engineer, nor an electronics technician. I have no formal training in the field. I am self taught. The information I have is that if a resistor is connected to ground it can be considered a pull down resistor. If it connected to a power supply it can be considered a pull up resistor. A voltage divider circuit can be a pull up and a pull down connected in series with a centre tap. If my understanding is wrong than so be it, but it doesn't change my question.

The Jaguar schematics are well documented but there is no documentation specific to TFI. We had a verbal conversation on the week end of how I should configure the circuit for TFI but my memory is far from perfect and I need clarification.

I can describe the circuit I am referring in this post, but wouldn't it be easier for you just to refer to the schematic and answer my simple questions?

Do I or do I not populate R22, R23 and R83 for TFI input?

As for my other question concerning the 12vdc-switched-outputs which connects to 12v-sw2 and P32.

This question was directed to Andy, the designer of the board. If you know the answer to the question and would like to answer it then great, it takes some load off of Andy.

The question is not a criticism. The board is far more complex than anything I have designed and built. I commend Andy on his work and can only imagine the hours gone into it.

Kicad is a very powerful and impressive program. Far more so than the one I'm familiar with. I am trying to get comfortable with it, but this all takes time. In the mean time there are a few things I am not clear about and need clarification on. In particular the circuit that includes the lables "12vdc-switched outputs" and "12v-sw3" which connect to the single pin connector "P32" which I believe, but am not certain about is called "ign-12v" on the board.

From studying the schematics and the board itself it looks to me like this circuit should supply 12v power to the indicator LEDs for Q1 through 8 and Q9 through 11. But I don't see any connection to 12v power.

Where does this circuit get it's power supply from?
Robert
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

Tangent-------
Does anyone have a link to the latest BOM? Please post the link, its faster than telling me to go look in the docs..I seem to be missing most (if not all) of the first 2 assembly steps component call outs! Ie. U13, Q12, R106-109...they are not in the BOM? Here is what I got from the DOC file...and can I use 10uf unpolarized ceramic disk caps (Y5U 105M--free) for the 10uf (polarized Tantelum 10uf 35V 10%--$1.65/pc )call outs? I got loads of them...

Capacitors
C12,13,47,48
C1,2,3,4,5,8,20,27,37,38,44,51
C6,14,15,16,17,22,26,28,29,32,33,34,35,39,41,49
C7
C9
C10,11
C18,19
C21
C23,42
C24,25
C30,31,36,43
C40

Diodes/LEDs
D1 (CEL)
D2
D4,5,33,34
D6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,45,46
D18,19,20,21,22,23,30,35,36,39,41
D24,25,26,27,28,29,31,37,38,40,42

Connectors/Jacks
J1

J3

MOV1

Pin Headers
Load1,P20,21,JP1,JP2
BDM 3x2 0.100” Pin Header

MOSFETs
Q1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Q7,10,11

Resistors
R1,2,3,4,5,8,11,12,59,60
R16,17,18,19
R6
R7,13,14,16,17,18,19,21,22,30,41,42,43,44,45,46,54,64,70,71,74,78,80,81,83,84
R9,10,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,55,56,61,66,67,72
R15,26,27,28,32,33,34,57,58,65,82
R20,23
R24,25,31 | For GM sensors
R24,25,31 | For most sensors
R24,25,31 | For Ford sensors
R24,25,31 | For MOPAR sensors
R29
R30
R35,36,37,38,39,40,63,68,69,73
R79

ICs
U1
U2,3
U4
U5
U5
U6
U7
U8
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

pishta wrote:Does anyone have a link to the latest BOM? Please post the link, its faster than telling me to go look in the docs..
Here is a link to the BOM that matches up to the 0.6-alpha:
https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob ... Jaguar.ods
This BOM is short the number of 1N4148TA diodes, you will need to order 11 instead of the 7 called out in the BOM.
All 11 component IDs are called out in the BOM, there was a counting mistake in the Quantity column. :-/
This has been corrected in the dev branch BOM.
pishta wrote:I seem to be missing most (if not all) of the first 2 assembly steps component call outs! Ie. U13, Q12, R106-109...they are not in the BOM?
You were probably looking at the BOM in the master branch, which doesn't apply to the 0.6-alpha PCB which was tagged when I created the gerber files for the PCB to be manufactured.
The 0.4-alpha/0.5-alpha did not have the over-voltage PNP clamping circuit (the part IDs to which you refer) which was added in the 0.6-alpha.
pishta wrote:Here is what I got from the DOC file...and can I use 10uf unpolarized ceramic disk caps (Y5U 105M--free) for the 10uf (polarized Tantelum 10uf 35V 10%--$1.65/pc )call outs? I got loads of them...
You will want to use the specified polarized tantalum capacitors for the bulk storage capacitors rather than the unpolarized ceramic disk capacitors.
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

Cool, thanks.
Fred

Post by Fred »

E4ODnut wrote:I'm not an electronics engineer, nor an electronics technician. I have no formal training in the field. I am self taught.
Nor do you need to be if you read, think, try things, and communicate clearly.
The information I have is that if a resistor is connected to ground it can be considered a pull down resistor. If it connected to a power supply it can be considered a pull up resistor. A voltage divider circuit can be a pull up and a pull down connected in series with a centre tap. If my understanding is wrong than so be it, but it doesn't change my question.
You're totally forgetting the one thing that makes any of these words mean anything at all: The signal! IE, you pull A SIGNAL up or down and you use a voltage divider to reduce A SIGNAL. Without the signal, your resistors do NOTHING ;-)
The Jaguar schematics are well documented but there is no documentation specific to TFI.
Nor will there ever be, hopefully, because it's not special. What we do need, though, is something that says "If your square wave signal is open collector, install the pull up, if it drives high as well as low, do not." IE, with your 12V input waveform do not install the PULL UP on the SIGNAL line. The +ve input is your signal line. The -ve input is your reference, and because a single-ended signal like hall, optical, TFI, DIS, EDIS, etc, doesn't have a reference, except ground, you have to create your own. You do that with a voltage divider (which is not a pull up combined with a pull down!). It divides 5V from the board supply with ground (that you must feed into the -ve pin, forming the lower half of the divider), and provides 2.5V to the -ve input of the MAX IC. The 12V signal is dropped across the 1k input limit resistor and clamped at the IC by diodes. So what the IC sees is the voltage going from 0 to 5V, and back, repeatedly. The signal at the CPU changes when the input signal passes 2.5V and goes lower than it, or higher than it. The end. If you can't figure it out from this and the schematic, then I give up.
We had a verbal conversation on the week end of how I should configure the circuit for TFI but my memory is far from perfect and I need clarification.
The only thing special is that it's a high and low side 12V drive, so leaving out the pull up is optimal. Even if you leave it in, it won't do much/any harm... Other than omitting it follow the instructions for hall/opto signals, because THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE. :-)
I can describe the circuit I am referring in this post, but wouldn't it be easier for you just to refer to the schematic and answer my simple questions?
No, look up!!! See the "DIY" just before "EFI" and after "forum." ? It stands for Do It Yourself. I've explained the circuit in excruciating detail, now it's your turn to figure out the rest (is there ANYTHING left? Really?) and get on with it!
Do I or do I not populate R22, R23 and R83 for TFI input?
I DO NOT HAVE A JAGUAR IN FRONT OF ME. This is the second time I've said it. I don't even have enough RAM to open a PDF in a usable way. Andy has seen this machine and can vouch for that. Therefore, I DO NOT KNOW what those parts are. I don't even know if they're the ones that are supposed to be different. To me, they could be the PLL resistors! YOU know what they are because YOU have the schematic open! Use that knowledge, the connections with the -ve pin, the 5V rail, the GND rail, the instructions in the schematic which DO apply to you, the descriptions above, and GET IT DONE! :-p
As for my other question concerning the 12vdc-switched-outputs which connects to 12v-sw2 and P32.
PLEASE STOP USING P NUMBERS UNLESS THEY ARE ETCHED OR PRINTED ONTO THE PCB. Thanks.
This question was directed to Andy, the designer of the board. If you know the answer to the question and would like to answer it then great, it takes some load off of Andy.
This is backward. Andy and Mike and Jeff and so on take load off of me. You and pishta and others learn as you go and eventually help take load off of Andy and co. In the mean time, everyone does THEIR homework and puts as much load on THEMSELVES as possible in order to reduce it on the over-worked such as Andy, Mike and myself. You got SUPER lucky with this post. I happen to have a bunch of dead time that I was not expecting to have. You won't get this much patience of spoon fed info in general. Soak it up while you can and learn to learn.

Kicad is a very powerful and impressive program. Far more so than the one I'm familiar with. I am trying to get comfortable with it, but this all takes time. In the mean time there are a few things I am not clear about and need clarification on. In particular the circuit that includes the lables "12vdc-switched outputs" and "12v-sw3" which connect to the single pin connector "P32" which I believe, but am not certain about is called "ign-12v" on the board.
From studying the schematics and the board itself it looks to me like this circuit should supply 12v power to the indicator LEDs for Q1 through 8 and Q9 through 11. But I don't see any connection to 12v power.
Congratulations, you're 100% correct! See, it wasn't that hard, was it? Now apply it to the RPM0 situation. And...:
Where does this circuit get it's power supply from?
YOU SUPPLY IT WITH A WIRE! WOO HOO! Success. Yes!

Fred.