Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Post by Fred »

Firstly, "Sean's" one isn't Sean's at all, he had the idea to do something dodgy, and I went ahead and did that for a variety of reasons, naming it seank-hacked to pay him credit for it, mostly for wanting to do it, when I didn't but ended up doing it anyway.

Secondly, Fred's is very nondescript, I have thousands of those files. Just copy/paste the name.

What do you mean by "EMS loader program"? If you mean Sean's (really this time) FreeEMS-Loader app, then no, it's not trying to replace it, it's trying to talk to it to load the firmware that you put on it. Just to nail this home, once you've loaded the SM you can and should put the BDM in the cupboard for future use and leave codewarrior alone too. It's no use for anything much. Except maybe doing a verify operation using the same SM S19 if their app has that function.

To be clear about S19 it's just a file format. Both the SM and FreeEMS are executables/applications/runnable/binary code. One goes in 2k of specific space and the other goes next to it.

If you're using Sean's loader, please report your bugs to him via the issue tracker: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1381 and link the issues on the forum and/or in IRC for visibility (otherwise no one finds out about them except Sean, and that's not good).

Then try MTXLoader instead. Andy has a download link somewhere, maybe he can share it here.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

OK

If I understand the sequence of events in getting Jaguar to run, the first thing to do is to load the serial monitor program S-19 file which is Sean's hack, but not really. It is really Fred's hack of Sean's idea for a hack serial monitor program S-19 file.

In order to do this I have to use a USBDM, in this case, the recommended USBDM from Cool-EFI.

By all indications I have been able to do this using the HCS12 Programmer software included in my copy of Code Warrior.

My first question is: Is there a way that I can confirm that the serial monitor program has been successfully installed on the MC9S12?

To continue. Assuming the serial monitor program is installed correctly, the next step is to install the bench test firmware S-19 file by Fred. To do this I am using the recommended Free EMS loader downloaded from the link to Mike's Shop.

Now, if the download is not successful, which it is not, I am supposed to make this known to Sean on the link posted to the issue tracker. I had a look at the link.

It's too complex for me.

I also tried to find the Megatunix loader but I couldn't even figure out how to download Megatunix itself from Git.

To hell with it. I'm going to pour myself a drink - - or two - - or maybe more.
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Our posts crossed.

I had a look at the link, but I can't figure out what it is for or what I'm supposed to do.

Time for that drink.
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

Robert, check this out, maybe your original file was out of range of the memory the programmer thought the chip had? Glad you stumbled past it But it May be a reoccuring issue? Read this

https://community.freescale.com/thread/105520

And once you get the bootloader installed, can you work through the usb port once its all put together? You must be on the bench as we type...

Here is windows version tunerstudio, compatible?http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/downloads
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Robert,

Here are links to MegaTunix for:

Windows 64bit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatun ... p/download

Windows 32bit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatun ... p/download

You can use the MegaTunix Loader to load the FreeEMS firmware.
Fred

Post by Fred »

E4ODnut wrote:It's too complex for me.
With all due respect: Bullshit! :-p

Just get an account and do your best. If you screw up it's not the end of the world. We can fix it.
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

IIRC the MTX loader doesn't do much checking etc....

If you still need help, PM me and I can give you a number to reach me at. If the loader doesn't work I need to know why(I don't mind taking your issue via voice and creating an issue for it). It has been used thousands of times on lin/win so I suspect it's something simple or maybe even non loader related.

cheers
You snooze, you lose!
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Hi Sean,
Thanks for your input, I may have to take you up on the offer.

So, new day, new attempt.

I'm pretty sure the serial monitor program is installed and working. Device manager shows "USB serial converter" in the Universal serial bus controllers tree when Jaguar is connected to the PC via USB. When I check properties it says the device is working properly.

I made some more attempts at loading the bench test S.19 with Free EMS Loader. Default port was com1, which wouldn't work, so I just started through the list. Com3 got some action, but the program froze while "ripping".

What is "ripping"?

Anyway, I unchecked the "ripping" box and tried again. The S-19 loaded. It took about a minute with lots of action from the RX and TX LEDs on Jaguar.

Now, with the load jumper removed and Jaguar powered up the CEL LED is flashing at ~ 0.5 hz. This is a good thing, I think.

But, neither Megatunix or EM Studio can find Jaguar.

The fact that I've gotten this far makes me think that the probabilities of me having a hardware construction error are getting smaller, but I suppose it is definitely still a possibility, I'm just not sure which way to turn now.
Robert
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

OK, the 0.5 Hz flash of the CEL means that the FreeEMS firmware is indeed loaded and running.

The next step is to make sure that EMStudio is looking at the correct COM port so that it can connect and read the data from the firmware.