Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
TonyS
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Post by TonyS »

Fred wrote:About the Pxx, if it's not written on the board, ....The board should mostly document itself, especially at a user/connection/configuration level.
E4ODnut wrote:"Pxx" means nothing to anyone??
I'm following the Jaguar schematic. Pxx denotes conn-1, a single pin connector. I can't seem to find any direct reference, but from examining the PCB file and the board itself it looks to me like P32 is labled "ign-12v" on the silk screen.
Seems to be a disconnect between the actual pcb and the schematic.
It took me a bit of time to review what E4ODnut had said because it still looks like the "find" function in a pdf still doesn't work in a Kicad generated pdf.
But it seems that there is a "P(pad?)32" on the schematic that is identified (maybe) by an "Ign-12V" label near a pad on the pcb.
So, I assume that "P32" / "Ign-12V" is wired to a keyswitch sourced 12V?

BTW E4ODnut, I think that it is great that you are identifying issues that may be unclear to someone who is "fresh" to the diyefi.org world.
At work, we call these issues "opportunities for improvement".
Thanks,
TonyS.
pishta

GM MAP's

Post by pishta »

GM MAP sensors overview for external MAP installs:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2355

pins 2,3,4 are used. All others on PCB are not and can be left open.
On GM MAP, pins A,B and C are (A)Ground, (B)Output and (C)Source
Source should be isolated and filtered to +-10Mv of 5.10V (as designed for Freescale sensor or what board provides)

out from/to PCB:
pad #2 (measured counterclockwise from labeled 1) is Vs or 5.10V, pin C of GM harness.
pad #3 is ground, pin A of GM harness.
pad #4 is Output, pin B of GM harness.

summary:
pin C of GM goes to pad #2
pin A of GM goes to pad #3
pin B of GM goes to pad #4
all other pads are N/A

pinout is same for both PCB locations. 1-2 BAR MAP pad is horizontal (425) on board reading "Designed by Andy Goss", 1 BAR MAP (611) is vertical pads.
Last edited by pishta on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Actually, for external map you should not wire to the pads, you should wire to the provided connection points which contain more circuitry. Good info for someone using an OEM sensor for atmospheric pressure, though.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pishta

Post by pishta »

Fred wrote:Actually, for external map you should not wire to the pads, you should wire to the provided connection points which contain more circuitry. Good info for someone using an OEM sensor for atmospheric pressure, though.
Those are some small ass holes though! Can we use 26G wire for stuff like that? I was thinking another 6 position plug located in the enclosure for these I/O's, then small gauge wire to the mounted socket. No stress on that.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

pishta wrote:Those are some small ass holes though! Can we use 26G wire for stuff like that? I was thinking another 6 position plug located in the enclosure for these I/O's, then small gauge wire to the mounted socket. No stress on that.
The external MAP sensor holes on the 0.6-alpha are sized for 18 AWG stranded wire.
pishta

Post by pishta »

I now see the 18 AWG holes for the '425' MAP but not the '611' AAP (ambiant absolute pressure?)
Fred

Post by Fred »

That's because it's supposed to be on board only. You can use whatever sensor you like, but if you don't follow the design, you'll obviously be improvising.

AAP = Atmospheric Absolute Pressure

As for wire size, I found 18ga fitted only some of the holes, and was a fairly tight (not actually literally tight) fit. As such I'd recommend 20ga for everything on the board. Nothing should need to be bigger anyway, and any significant connections should be doubled up anyway. 12V is currently not, however I plan to discuss this with Andy on skype soon.
pishta

Post by pishta »

Andy/Fred:

Can we sub a larger amp rated MOSFET for that bugger of a ST part # called out (Q1-8 injector driver)? ie. the call out was a 40V 6A 60mohm (available in 3000 reels) can we sub a more available MOSFET NFET DPAK 40V 23A 31mOhm or would that effect other part numbers? I dont know the rule for subbing amperage or mOhm ratings in a curcuit.......electronics 100 was pretty basic.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON- ... GnGXco4%3d
Fred

Post by Fred »

Any 0-5V logic input protected (or even unprotected) DPAK FET with the same pin out and sufficiently low RDS-ON is fine.
Fred

Post by Fred »

TonyS wrote:Seems to be a disconnect between the actual pcb and the schematic.
The thing is, I've looked at the Jag schems many many times, and never once even noticed these numbers.
TonyS wrote:So, I assume that "P32" / "Ign-12V" is wired to a keyswitch sourced 12V?
Should be wired to, by the user, yes.
TonyS wrote:BTW E4ODnut, I think that it is great that you are identifying issues that may be unclear to someone who is "fresh" to the diyefi.org world.
At work, we call these issues "opportunities for improvement".
Andy came up with a nice solution to this particular "issue"; it'll be available in the next version.