Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Post by E4ODnut »

Peter,
Thanks, I found the download but I'm not sure if it's what I need. I think I'd better wait for Andy to chime in because it's his USBDM. We did have a short discussion about this on Saturday, but it kind of went in one ear and out the other. If I recall there is a procedure using Code Warrior.
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

cool, no need to change footprint, just a footnote. ie. "the freescale chip gets oriented upside down on the board when mounting so as the small dot noting pin #1 in its lower left hand corner gets mounted to the top right corner of the PCB footprint labeled "1".

And I was successful hand soldering the freescale chip, only had 1 bridge post-testing with a VOM. Not bad! "Flood and rake" method followed by a solder braid cleanup...and flux IS mandatory. :-)
pishta

Post by pishta »

Fred wrote:Yes, the small dot denotes the positioning, and IIRC the text IS upside down. Andy needs a FAQ for that, or perhaps a new footprint too, to reduce confusion?

As for the flux: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1952

Alcohol is your friend, one way, or another :-D

Fred.

Oh yes, there is the freescale chip mounted..right in the pic. Good show! And Alcohol is on its way, dont want to flux this up....
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

You can download the Windows 32bit ONLY driver from: http://www.coolefi.com/software/USBDM_4_9_5b_Win.msi

Note that the USBDM software ONLY works with 32bit versions of Windows.

If you have a Linux (ie: Debian/Ubuntu) 32bit operating system, then you can download http://www.coolefi.com/software/USBDM_L ... .4b.tar.gz

Additional information about the USBDM software can be found at: http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

What is the solution if I only have Windows 7 (64 bit)?
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

DeuceEFI wrote:Note that the USBDM software ONLY works with 32bit versions of Windows.
This is a limitation of the USBDM open source project code, it was written for 32bit versions of Windows. My solution was to use a Windows XP 32bit machine, others have used a 32bit VM with Windows XP or Windows 7 to use the USBDM software.

I primarily use a Debian 32bit laptop to load the serial monitor on the XDP512.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

I have an old 32 bit Win 98 machine so installed the software on it but Win 98 couldn't find the driver even when I pointed it to the installed software location. So then I installed it on my Win 7 64 bit machine and was able to point Win 7 to the driver which it seems to have installed. The BDM now shows an indicator light. Is that good news?
Robert
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

See the attached image.

If you run Zadig (found at C:\Program Files (x86)\pgo\USBDM 4.9.5\USBDM_Drivers\zadig in 64bit windows), find your device, which is typically Unknown Device, then click Install Driver for WinUSB, it will work on 64bit Windows.

Make sure to select WinUSB in the selection box, and the BDM in the device selection dropdown. YOU CAN SCREW UP YOUR SYSTEM DOING THIS, so be quite careful to select the USBDM.
Attachments
Zadig.png
pishta

Post by pishta »

I have a win8 machine and its pretty much useless for this sort of stuff. BUT I got an old win7 and even a WinXP magnesium cased Go-Book freakin tank laptop that is perfect for this DIY stuff as most is written for 32 bit platforms. Even Megatune works on the old tank, AND it has the almost required Megasquirt COM port still on the back, bonus! You can get free linux distributions everywhere on the net, even stuck in Linux magazines at the newsrack, I think there is a 4 distro disk stuck in the latest Linux rag. Install it on a 4GB partition or just run it as a live CD distro, dont even need a hard drive! you might be able to run it in a VM under Win8 but thats out of my expertise.
BTW, Andy's link for the USBDM works great, you must manually install the driver after you {first} install the program to your hard drive, {then} install the USBDM, go into device manager, pick the ! unknowd device and update drivers from "C:\Program Files\pgo\USBDM 4.9.5\USBDM_Drivers\Drivers" itll say the boilerplate "This device is not...yadda yadda.." just say yes and let her rip. Done. I chose the default install pack, if you pick and choose the packs you want it'll give you a folder error as it doesnt seem to make its own subfolders for the optional packs. whole think takes you about 20 seconds after you download it.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Thanks Malcom and Pishta,
I opened Zadig just to have a look but didn't do anything with it yet just in case the driver is already installed and I screw it up.

When I plug the BDM in now, the indicator light on it lights up, so I'm assuming that the drivers are installed. Also, if I go to Device Manager I believe it shows up as "libusb (Win USB) devices" > "USBDM interface". manufacturer pgo. "this device is working properly".

If this is the case, what is the next step to load the serial monitor S-19?
Robert