Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Post by malcom2073 »

It looks like you've selected megasquirt as your ECU in megatunix. Select FreeEMS and try it again?

EMStudio will not read all green unless it is good, so I'd say the firmware loading process succeeded, but MTX cannot talk to FreeEMS in megasquirt mode :)
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

Oh ok. On megatunix's radio button start window I chose ms because FreeEMS is greyed out (but selected). I thought it was just for baud and they're the same... I can't deselect an option on that window, is there any way of figuring out what's not letting me only select FreeEMS? Thanks for the direction :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

None of the loaders except mine can be fully trusted, however if they say they worked, they probably did.

If emstudio looks like that, you have a valid firmware. Check the meta data to see if it's the one you loaded, or something older.

MTX is trying to connect to a MS, not a FreeEMS. Support may be broken, and was always flakey at best.

Edit: I didn't see the above two posts.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

Getting closer. Pointing Fred's loader at /dev/ttyUSB0 tells me that it's in use, if I unplug the Jaguar and run the loader it tells me that the Jaguar's not there which is more feedback than with megatunix.

I copied & pasted a couple of internet attempts to remove or unmount the device. The closest to working was:
sudo modprobe -r ftdi_sio
sudo modprobe -r usbserial
after which the loader couldn't find it. But after reloading the driver the device went straight back to being in use as far as the loader was concerned.

More tomorrow :)
Last edited by volvoguy on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

lsof might help, otherwise look into sysdig.

Finally, ensure your upower variant is not broken. Shouldn't be these days, but might be.

Or did you have mtx or emstud running when you tried to load?

Fred.
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

I love linux but she treats me so mean. Yesterday I tried this loader on three linux OSs on two different machines and they responded the same. I tried it on a dirty, unloved Win 7 installation just now and it blasts through it and says it's fine.

That said, when I run the loader's 'check firmware' I get a different block read out to the one I get if I run 'Rip device to file'. Does that mean it's not writing successfully? Is there a more definite way to check whether it's writing?
Fred

Post by Fred »

On Linux, at least, there is a behaviour whereby you run it multiple times in a row and then it works OR you unplug and re plug and then it works. This appears to be a chipset or driver thing, but could be a library thing or application thing.
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by malcom2073 »

Something else to try if it always looks like something is using the port, uninstall modemmanager (on ubuntu: apt-get remove modemmanager), as it often ties up USB serial ports.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Is that the new "upower"? I didn't know that! Thanks! Yeah, in the old days upower did just that and you couldn't get reliable comms, period. If Mike is right, and he probably is, then this thing will be shafting you too. I actually have it installed on this machine, so will test a load later and see if it shafts me. On Monday I'll test it on a Ucuntu 14.10 box, too.
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

I tried removing modemmanager but to no joy. I used Fred's loader on windows to wipe the firmware and read back the empty blocks back to me, then I wrote the bench test firmware and read the blocks back again. So that's sorted.

I built megatunix on linux for the first time and now the intro screen lets me choose FreeEMS. It looks good, the clocks are counting and as I clicked around I could only see a couple of errors in the shell I launched it from.

I'm going to try and figure out the CAS wiring this weekend and then I'm looking at the jumpers J3-J9, what influences how I install them?