Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide

Post by SleepyKeys »

It's pretty apparent that the main thing I need to add to the loader is proper com port detection for windows, right now it's just a dummy list. A minute sounds about right.

Ripping is saving all of the device's contents to a backup file(1-3 minutes depending on your platform).

I'm curious as to why ripping failed. Any chance you can try it a couple times and see at what percentage it fails ?

Thanks,
Sean
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Great work! Sounds like the issue with Sean's loader was the user this time :-) The freeze while ripping should be investigated, though. It could error out, but should never just freeze.

Ripping is the process of pulling everything out of the CPU and saving it to disk such that you don't accidentally overwrite your priceless tune with new blank firmware.

Flashing LED = success. Now you need to verify your IO is working correctly. :-D

EMStudio and/or MTX may be looking at the wrong COM port too?

Fred.

Wow, two posts since I started typing. Posting anyway, pointlessly.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

This is getting interesting!

No joy with MTX at all. It keeps scanning for the correct port but can't find Jaguar. The numbers go by pretty quick, but I can't see that it is even trying Com1 or Com3.

Back to EMS Studio. I changed the default port from whatever it was to com3 and it didn't reject it. I played around with the windows hoping for some action. While in "Gauges" all of a sudden things started to happen. It looked like it was going through a check on Jaguar but eventually stopped with an error message about a particular table size which stopped everything. I reconnected several times and it would go through this check until it encountered an error then it would stop. The weird thing is that the check doesn't start immediately after I select a "gauge " window, but rather at some random time after. In the mean time the CEL is merrily blinking along.

Sean, I'll check that ripping progress now.
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

This is getting more interesting all the time!

Sean. With ripping checked progress stops right away with the last line on the dialog box being "ripping..." The command line box grays out and that's all that happens.

I closed the program, re-opened, unchecked ripping and downloaded bench test S-19 with no problem.

Then I removed the jumper, flashed up Jaguar and opened EMS Studio on com3. This time when I selected the gauge window, after about 30 seconds or so EM Studio started it's interrogation process again, but this time it completed it.

So, now the gauges are at zero except for O2, which is at 1, PW which is at ~38.5, Clnt is off scale and MAP is ~ 210.

OK Fred, what can I test with bench test?
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
Fred

Post by Fred »

E4ODnut wrote:OK Fred, what can I test with bench test?
Almost everything! :-)

You'll have to start reporting your troubles with the different apps to the correct places. Loader and EMStudio and firmware should wind up on the issue tracker with issues linked to IRC and/or the forum post creation. Those things don't belong here, though you could link the issues here as a side-mention while asking about Jaguar construction/testing, I guess.

Mike's live data display is missing a feature that lets you know the data is invalid. Don't be fooled by static gauges. (this was a big deal in Sim's car yesterday, Mike). Instead open the numerical display and watch the pressures and temps and so forth. Various analogue values will be moving slightly and the clocks will be counting up if you have a good connection. If you don't, it'll just show static numbers (which is a bit evil) that are out of date and do not indicate a good connection.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Sorry, but I'm still not clear on just what the bench test firmware does.

At this point I have no I/Os connected to Jaguar. Just 12 volt power and ground and the USB to my PC. I would expect that the gauges would just show garbage, but is there a clock or something that I can view to see if it is reporting real values?

Also, what is with the blinking CEL? Is that just for a visual indication that something is happening?

If I connect all my inputs as per Jaguar pin outs to my simulator, should I be able to read them? How about outputs, same thing?
Robert
Fred

Post by Fred »

BenchTest: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1180

I would expect garbage on some and specific values on others. There are three clocks in the numeric data that you can watch tick over at high speed. Scroll to find them. Anything moving around = good connection. Blinking LED = firmware is happily running.

Stim + connections should = fairly realistic values, maybe.

See bench test thread and/or bench test tabs in emstudio (yay!) and/or mtx for the same info offline. You can control the 6 T pins with benchtest firmware. Other things can't easily be changed yet.

Fred.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Bench test thread is completely over my head.

I seem to be stalled again but don't know if the problem is with hardware, firmware, software or a combination. I don't know where to post so I'll just continue here.

The bench test firm ware appears to be running because the CEL blinks at ~ 0.5 hz. There is no action from any of the injector LEDs, but I am missing D24 through D27.

If I open EMS Studio it says it is connected on Com3 but nothing happens immediately. After about 30 seconds after connection there is a short flash of the TX LED on Jaguar. Nothing changes. After about another 30 seconds there is another short flash on the TC LED and EMS Studio starts interrogating Jaguar, both TX and RX LEDs will flash in turn. Only once did the interrogation complete. Ever since then any attempt has failed and there is no live data. CEL LED keeps blinking merrily on.

I don't see any bench test tabs on EM Studio.
Robert
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sounds like an EMStudio or PEBKAC issue. Hopefully Mike can shed some light on which.

Flashing CEL = happy firmware. It's just sitting there spewing out data waiting to be told what to do.

With respect to ignition drivers, they have no LEDs, and two are hooked up, so if you could connect with a BenchTest capable app you could fire them off, but not visually see it.

With respect to fuel drivers, they have LEDs, but have no connection to the CPU until you create one.

The latest EMStudio should have a BenchTest wizard in the wizards menu IIRC. Hash mike? Available on CI?

Fred.
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

Fred,
I tried to see if there was a later version of EM Studio but was unsuccessful. I also downloaded a different .S19 (next one down your list) just to see if that would make any difference. Same thing.

With bench test loaded should I see accurate battery voltage, MAP and AAP readings as well as the counters?

Sorry, what's IIRC?
Robert