Possibility of interface w/ bluetooth for Android dashboard

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Andreas
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Possibility of interface w/ bluetooth for Android dashboard

Post by Andreas »

$100 android tablet + $11 bluetooth module + $9.99 app + Jaguar/FreeEMS = awesome dashboard

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/shadowdashmsmenu

I'm not affiliated with any of the above, but I know to buy the hardware for a decent screen is much more expensive than $100. The dashboard is not free, but $10 is very reasonable and it looks to be highly configurable.

Is it possible to get Jaguar to output over bluetooth? FreeEMS firmware would be another issue, but just wondering if the hardware part of it could be supported?
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Possibility of interface w/ bluetooth for Android dashbo

Post by DeuceEFI »

I do have headers on the Jaguar 0.6-alpha board that can be used to supply +5v/GND along with RX0/TX0 (which is shared with the FTDI USB circuit) and RX1/TX1 (for future possible firmware use) that will allow me or someone else to make a daughterboard to plug onto the top of their Jaguar to add an SD card reader or BlueTooth radio or ???

I have tried to keep the Jaguar design very flexible so it can grow with the firmware and be reconfigured as needed within certain limits.
My goal is to work closely with Fred to ensure that the Jaguar design follows the changes to the firmware.
8-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'd hate to see Phil profiting from FreeEMS! He's doing well enough from M$ junk to have hired staff, now. You'd have to hack in a compatible protocol and create an ini for that, which wouldn't be hard, but... yuck. Given you're in the US, if you do do that, best to keep the patch to yourself to avoid legal hassles from B&G clowns. In future there will be a good app for FreeEMS natively. Be patient. Good things come to those who are! :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Hmmmm....Fred, are you hinting at something....? :o If so, I have time. I understand what you are saying about Phil, but seems like he has a good product and his price is reasonable...unlike M$.

Andy, thanks for the info. I do know about those pins, but have no experience with Bluetooth. Looking forward to getting a Jaguar board!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Price being reasonable depends on quality of product and value offered ;-) I won't say more.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Very true. There are some pretty expensive dashes out there and with an ECU getting most if not all of the important data, a dash that can interface well with FreeEMS would be a very good thing.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

...or maybe something like the iDash....although I searched for pics of an actual dash layout from it and can't find one. Seems like it would be simpler to have Jaguar attached to wifi and output an HTML file with the dash data in it so that any web browser could be used for a dash....instead of all the sensors being attached to both Jaguar and iDash.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Or interface to something like this (arduino with wifi shield able to be an access point) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nbmS6Ax8g