Viewing schematic and PCB layout?

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Viewing schematic and PCB layout?

Post by Fred »

E4ODnut wrote:I give up
With all due respect, that's a very bad attitude. Firstly, PM me your phone number and a good time to call, I can hold your hand if necessary. It's not that hard. It's dead easy. You're being defeatist.

Secondly, let me rephrase:
  1. Create a folder where ever you want with whatever name you want. I suggest "repos" or "freeems" or similar.
  2. During install, did you check "git bash here" option? Yes/No.
  3. If Yes: Right click the folder from step 1 and choose "git bash here", a black window will appear.
  4. If No: Double click "Git Bash" shortcut on your desktop, or find it in your start menu and choose it there, a black window will appear.
  5. If No: Use the standard "cd" command to navigate to your directory, as created in step 1
  6. Type "git clone <url>" and hit enter, where "<url>" should be replaced with the URL of the repo you want to clone, eg "git clone https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar.git" as Andy said in his reply.
  7. Enter the new directory with the standard cd command, IE, type "cd Jaguar" and hit enter.
  8. Type "git checkout dev" and hit enter.
Done, you may now do whatever it is you needed to do with these files.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
E4ODnut
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by E4ODnut »

You are right. That is a defeatist attitude, but in my defence, I didn't say I gave up completely, at least not yet.

Thanks to your reply I have made some progress against seemingly impossible odds.

For my original Git install, because I didn't and still haven't got a clue what "git bash" is, I didn't check anything other than what was checked by default. I re-installed with "git bash" checked and followed your instructions.

VOILA! Jaguar is cloned. Now, all I have to do is get familiar with Kicad but I was able to open the files.

What is supposed to happen when I "cd jaguar" then " git checkout dev"?

Also, what is Git GUI?

By the way, I was able to clone freeems-vanilla so I can start to study your code as my "C" knowledge progresses.
Robert
1995 Ford E150, 300 CID I6, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1992 Winnebago 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, Custom MS1-Extra, Custom semi-auto E4OD trans controller
1993 Bayliner 3288, Twin Ford 351 CID Windsors, Converted to tuned port programmable EFI, Custom MS1-Extra
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

cd jaguar will obviously change directory to the jaguar one where your, now local, copy of the repo is on your machine.

Git checkout dev switches from the master branch to the dev branch of the repo.
Fred

Post by Fred »

GREAT! :-)

To elaborate on what Dan said (thanks Dan) the dev branch is up to date, and the master branch is old. You want/need the dev branch.

As for what "git bash" is, think of it like a cmd/dos window, but much much much better.

I find kicad is easy to use to browse existing work without much/any knowledge. I also have absolutely no idea how to use it, yet. Hoping to change that in the next few months.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pseudoki
TO220 - Visibile

Post by pseudoki »

hi, im new here and like any newbie am really having a hard time with github, luckily this thread came along and voila PCB schematic!
my question is i have no idea where in github can i find the BOM for jaguar, or is that info even in github?
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

pseudoki wrote:hi, im new here and like any newbie am really having a hard time with github, luckily this thread came along and voila PCB schematic!
my question is i have no idea where in github can i find the BOM for jaguar, or is that info even in github?
The Jaguar BOM is called Jaguar.ods and it can be found in the /docs directory.

Again, make sure you are looking in the "dev" branch for the latest information. :-)
pseudoki
TO220 - Visibile

Post by pseudoki »

of course, open office file, im still not used to this opensource lifestyle. Thanks DeuceEFI, ill make sure im looking at the dev branch.
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Also, as a side note, there are .pdf files of the schematic and the PCB design in the ./docs directory as well. :)