Strain relief for the TO-220 voltage regulator leads

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Strain relief for the TO-220 voltage regulator leads

Post by DeuceEFI »

One detail we need to discuss is how to provide some type of strain relief for the TO-220 voltage regulator leads since the Jaguar PCB design has the voltage regulators both being vertical and the specified case design does put stress on the lead's solder connection to the PCB.

We have seen that just installing the voltage regulators with the leads straight can cause the leads to pull out of the solder if the holes in the end cap of the case are misaligned even by 0.5mm. This is only a problem during the opening and closing of the case for troubleshooting or making modifications to the circuits.
  • What has happened on a few occasions was:
  • the regulator was soldered to the PCB,
  • the end cap was then drilled to mount the regulator to the end cap as the heat sink,
  • the PCB was installed in the case,
  • the end cap was installed on the lower half of the case,
  • the regulator was attached via an isolated screw/nut assembly with a silicone heat sink pad to the end cap
  • and when the assembly was tightened down the TO-220 leads have been pulled out of the solder.
One suggestion, by Fred, was even submitted with an exaggerated illustration:

The bend just needs to be just large enough to allow a misalignment of say 0.5mm to 1.0mm (this is a DIY board after all). The question I have for everyone, does the solve our problem or do you have another idea that doesn't require redesigning the entire board, which would mean an increase in PCB size/cost and possibly not allowing it to be installed in a factory ECU case, do this issue?

Thanks!

Andy.
Fred

Re: Strain relief for the TO-220 voltage regulator leads

Post by Fred »

I agree with my own suggestion, surprise! :-) It'd take a builder a few seconds to tweak all three legs in that way (not exagerated at all IMO) with some needle-nose pliers and it would provide all the movement you could possibly need.

Keen to hear others' thoughts on it, though.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!