Giving Jaguar the Acid Test

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: Giving Jaguar the Acid Test

Post by Fred »

WTF? I *didn't* reject the idea, at all. I thanked you for it, praised you for it, criticised it, and questioned how you'd implement it. If you can come up with a way to make it useful (50x scope single pulse capture for eg), great.

Nothing has been rejected at any point. Read it all again.

Healthy debate always entails critical thinking. That's what you did in the first place in spotting the omission. Apparently you're not open to the other side of that coin, though.

If we can come up with a *useful* way of doing it, I'm all for it.

As for burden, you're starting to become one. Don't. I'm receiving PMs about your behaviour from others...

Drop the attitude, and quickly.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DanMoto
DIP8 - Involved

Post by DanMoto »

By having a spark from a BBQ ignition for the test, It is still useful even if we don't have a complete spec for the test. My initial thought was to hit various points on the board a few times and call it a day since the odds are low anyways. But if it turns out that the board is easily susceptible to ESD damage, then we can look further into it. It will at least give you a ball park figure on its robustness against random ESD. I was suggesting someone with a board to test it since I don't have a board.

If I had a board, I have access to a fully speced ESD generator at my work. I can post a spec on the generator, a plan to do perform the test, and the results once I get an actual board. Until then, I will stop whoring this thread.

Sorry if I came on too awkward. I think we just have a misunderstanding. I am trying to be productive.

PS. It would be nice to know what the PMs said. It would at least help me understand what I am doing that's bothering others and not to do it anymore. :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK, then we have a solid plan:

No simple/crude "ESD testing" on this existing 0.4-alpha board of Andy's.

When the other tests are all good, we can go ahead and order 0.6-alpha boards, and at least one can go your way. You can then hit it, through a set of wires and/or a connector, (not direct onto the board, that's not realistic with respect to an installation...) with your machine, and get us a real report. That would be awesome :-)

I suspect the bigger problem that way won't be designed paths, but adjacent paths and perhaps part-to-part arcing as it's a very very cosy board.

Fred.
DanMoto
DIP8 - Involved

Post by DanMoto »

We can do the test with an enclosure if we have one designed. That would be ideal.
Fred

Post by Fred »

There is, std order from inet. Linked in 0.4 for sale thread. Just need to choose a connector and cut the right holes in the ends.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Jaguar 0.6-alpha acid test results, part 1:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2206&p=36225#p36225