Jaguar 0.6-alpha progress

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha progress

Post by pishta »

For those who got some bare/smd/partial assembled boards, is there a step process to populate the through hole and smd components? Other diy boards (EZ Fred, no references made :-) had steps of assembly, ie the interface circuit, the power circuit, etc. And then test procedures..What minimal parts do i need to have mounted to flash the processor with the usbdm? Maybe Andy could chime in or direct me to a/the assembly thread. Slowly building my parts collection for assembly day.
Fred

Post by Fred »

This does need to exist, but roughly, here goes:
  1. Install clamp parts, test clamp with 1ohm or so resistor to 12 or so volts, ensure rail stays at 5.15 NOTE: If this test fails, and you have installed other parts, they will be damaged and will need to be replaced!
  2. Ensure your FET driver ICs suit your application (IE, save the trouble of removing/replacing wrong parts)
  3. install other SMD parts (best done first ahead of all TH parts)
  4. Install clock components and CPU decouple capacitors (required for BDM loading)
  5. Use BDM to load seank-hack SM from thread attachment here: viewtopic.php?p=28948#p28948
  6. Install FT232RL related parts, at the very least, L1 (smd so should already be done by now)
  7. Verify comms with CPU through USB port by loading BenchTest firmware from build server: http://builds.freeems.org/firmware/dev/images/
  8. Install everything else choosing these things first: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2334
  9. Install power supply bits including bending legs of to220 regulators like this picture or remote mounting them slightly: http://i.imgur.com/xo7jjSZ.jpg
  10. Install in a case
  11. Plug in or wire in to a vehicle/engine
  12. Party
WARNING: I may have forgotten stuff, Andy can verify this is OK or not.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pishta

Post by pishta »

Perfect, just what i needed along with the external links for firmware.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Jaguar 0.6-alpha Assembly Guide located here: viewtopic.php?p=36648#p36648
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

just checking in

walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

DeuceEFI wrote:Fred is correct, we have found a few things that needed changed and I have made a few changes already.
I'm hoping to order the next set of PCBs in mid to late December, I should know more after I see Fred in person next week :-)
Any news on this yet?
Pretty pretty please.
With a cherry on top.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Some news:

(19:24:22) DeuceEFI-git: (notice) Jaguar/dev b545f13 Andy Goss: Changed to separate Creative Commons and MIT licenses for PCB and Schematics, respectively, and updated TODO with fuel pump driver change to be made.
(19:24:22) DeuceEFI-git: (notice) Jaguar/dev 786e0d5 Fred Cooke: Remove LICENSE.txt file and update the markdown file with a whole section on intent and exceptions.
(14:05:58) DeuceEFI-git: (notice) Jaguar/dev 6ca46ba Andy Goss: Added LEDs and resistors to ignitor outputs.
(14:05:58) DeuceEFI-git: (notice) Jaguar/dev 4a074fa Andy Goss: Changed fuel pump LSD out for high side driver, removed Fan and LSD1 individual low side drivers for a pair of dual MOSFET low side drivers.
(04:45:13) DeuceEFI-git: (notice) Jaguar/dev 208ef71 Andy Goss: Changed revision to 0.7-alpha and git hash to xxxxxxxxxx to show that this is in progress.
(09:30:16) DeuceEFI-git: (notice) Jaguar/dev 5bd9888 Andy Goss: Changed Spare ADC and IAT cpu pin capacitor from 1uF to 0.22uF. Also changed pcb revision to 0.7-alpha.

Those are from a several-day period. Progress is being made. I need to review those recent changes today. Check the dev branch TODO list for info on what's left, if anything.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Rickster
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Rickster »

I just got myself caught up on this thread (I did skip quite a bit because of time restraints). I would like to do testing. I have a Ford V8 302 with ITB induction on the stand ready for a Factory Five Roadster project beginning Mid April.

What steps would you like me to take to get started?
What is the best way for me to get the hardware in my hands?
I would be very interested in building the board too, so no need to feel obligated to supply finished hardware.

rickjatrbdashcomdotcom
at = @
dash = -
dot = .

Email me if needed.

Thanks,

Rick
pishta

Post by pishta »

Rick, I would strongly suggest getting the surface mount option when ordering if it will be available again. Andy has an oven to flow the SMT chips on properly, soldering iron is not the way to do these especially the max chip and the usb port. The through hole stuff is cake and allows you to customize board to ignition option. See Feeds minimal build post to see what can be done on budget ie. you don't need 8 injector drivers for a 2 channel bank or batch fire. There may be EDIS support in the future but not at this time.
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by BenFenner »

Rick, make us a project thread about your car. I've been following Factory Five since almost their beginning and have visited the factory. I had a plan to build one for a very long time. I'd love to see what you're doing with yours.