Jaguar 0.6-alpha progress

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Jaguar 0.6-alpha progress

Post by DeuceEFI »

I'm slowly getting everything ready for a group review before I send the gerber files off to have the 0.6-alpha boards manufactured.
Here is a link to express interest in purchasing an 0.6-alpha board when they become available:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2176

We can use this thread to discuss the 0.6-alpha changes, take a look at the TODO.md file at:

https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob/dev/TODO.md

and let me know if you have any questions.
TonyS
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.6-alpha progress

Post by TonyS »

Hi Andy,

Do you have a pdf of the current 0.6-alpha schematic?

Thanks,
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Ok, I have completed all the changes that were in the TODO.md file https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob/dev/TODO.md

Please take a look and let me know if you see anything that needs to be changed.

Here is the schematic: https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob ... ematic.pdf

Here is the PCB design as a single file: https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob ... ar-PCB.pdf

Here is the SMD side silkscreen: https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob ... D-SIDE.pdf

Here is the TH side silkscreen: https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob ... H-Side.pdf
(I know it is upside down, it is a limitation of the version of KiCAD I'm using. Just rotate it with your PDF viewer.)

For those of you who want to open the other files in the Jaguar repository, here is a link to it:
https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/tree/dev

Thanks,
Fred

Post by Fred »

Advertised in my diary thread for you. I won't have a computer available for 48 hours starting soon, but will try to take a look digitally once I do again. My feedback historically tends to be best during assembly and physical viewing, though. The usual review services are available in exchange for a blank board in the mail :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
walinsky
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by walinsky »

Andy,

I won't be able to provide any sensible feedback on the board design.
Just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for all the hard work and dedication.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Dan

Post by Dan »

Looks ok to me mate.

I don't like the trace under the cpu on the edge of the ic in the lower right corner of the footprint, but it looks like you had no other option anyway.

In your previous designs have you had any noise on your analog inputs?

:-)

Dan
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Dan wrote:Looks ok to me mate.

I don't like the trace under the cpu on the edge of the ic in the lower right corner of the footprint, but it looks like you had no other option anyway.

In your previous designs have you had any noise on your analog inputs?

:-)

Dan
Dan, first off, a big THANKS to taking a look at the PCB design :-) I know you are very busy.

The trace you are referring to is the MAF signal to the MCU, I tried to keep it as far from the MCU pins as possible. My only other alternative is to re-purpose the SPR input as the MAF input (and reroute the trace to the correct MCU pin) and remove the existing MAF input which has the trace that goes next to the MCU pins. That is just a thought that I'm throwing out there for consideration. And on that train of thought, if I remove the existing MAF components (in their present location) it would allow me to place mounting holes for a future CAN/second serial port/bluetooth/datalogger daughter card to occupy the space where the current MAF components are located.

I am truly out of room on the 3" x 5" PCB for this many through hole components, so I'm open to reasonable suggestions.

My last log file from the S10 that I posted a link to in IRC awhile back had analog inputs that were nice and clean. :-)
But I don't have a MAF sensor on the S10 so I can't comment about any noise on that input.
Fred

Post by Fred »

My turn! I'll try to look tomorrow or Friday. It'd be good of johntramp could look too, he had some opinions on the French board, be nice to hear detailed ones for this.
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by johntramp »

Hi Andy,

Having had a quick look at the board, here are a few suggestions:
  • Move the MCU silkscreen so it doesn't cover the pads
  • Move SMD pin #1 markings to outside the component's footprint so they are visible after assembly
  • Place vias through to the back ground plane by the MCU gnd pins
  • Only really an aesthetic point, but I typically place components to a 20mil grid so they line up nicely
  • Power_S1 running a long way around the board looks like it could be a bit thin (I haven't looked at the datasheet so it's likely this is okay)
  • There's an odd trace on the 5vdc-analogue trace on the bottom right of the back layer
  • Do you want pcb mounting holes?
  • You may like to drop the track width before the pads on some of the fat traces to avoid having to put too much heat into the components - eg 5vdc_analogue into Q12
Nice work, it looks like it should be a solid platform. Cheers