Wanted Jag board

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Wanted Jag board

Post by Dan »

lead free :-O
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Dan wrote:lead free :-O
Yes, lead free, it was all I could find at my local Fry's Electronics store when I was there back in December of 2011. I even tailored my reflow oven profile to match the profile that was on the specification sheet that came with the syringe of lead free solder. :-)
lLuiksl
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lLuiksl »

Hi Fred

I did not pm anyone jet, DeuceEFI suggested me to ask Kennybug if he hase any pcb left.
DeuceEFI wrote:I don't have any more Jaguar A3 boards left to sell, you could PM Kennybug to see if he has any left.
from

I don't have a soldering station jet but i'm considering whether to buy one or modify my own iron to a certain degree and custom made tip like in the video.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Doh! I apologise. Yes, that's a good reason :-)

Let me unrestrict your account so you can do that now.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by johntramp »

lLuiksl wrote: I don't have a soldering station jet but i'm considering whether to buy one or modify my own iron to a certain degree and custom made tip like in the video.
I wouldn't get too caught up about having a beveled tip, a fine point works well. Using solder paste makes it a lot easier though (imo).
lLuiksl
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lLuiksl »

johntramp wrote:
lLuiksl wrote: I don't have a soldering station jet but i'm considering whether to buy one or modify my own iron to a certain degree and custom made tip like in the video.
I wouldn't get too caught up about having a beveled tip, a fine point works well. Using solder paste makes it a lot easier though (imo).
I think that it is a question of taste, i've soldered most of the time with cheap, old russian irons and usually they have factory made tip and they look something like this http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/im ... 5405-1.jpg I put it as a link. Does the finepoint has to have a higher temperature? Either Way i'll take it in consideration!
Last edited by lLuiksl on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Most of the time I prefer a fine or medium fine tip because: You can see what you're doing while you're doing it. I use flat tips for 100w fat wire soldering, though, hard to beat for that due to heat conductivity :-)
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ivan141 »

I found out I lost my fine soldering tip just when my little SMD hobby PCB's came in last week. Have been using the standard 3mm chisel tip with great success so far.
As mentioned above, a fine tip is usually only necessary when it gets hard to see what you're doing. Fine tips conduct less heat so sometimes make life more difficult.
For fine pitched packages (QFP etc) a solder well tip or slanted column style tip with the help of a bit of flux works a treat ( for drag soldering).
If you do mess up, good desoldering wire is a must have as well. Most important thing is to avoid long contact of the tip with the pad, I have a few months experience in a PCB assembly factory under my belt and have cursed many a time due to pads lifting when it took too many tries to get something fixed.

(oh my, this went a bit offtopic).
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
lLuiksl
TO220 - Visibile

Post by lLuiksl »

Sorry for the bad link, it was working just yesterday. I have a 40w iron and a 80w one. I use the 40w usually and for bigger jobs i use the 80w one and by that i mean cluch wire for my dirtbike :D I hope im up to it because there are points that i havent got a clue... but i think that the force is strong, i simply just wont give up! Im good with my hands and therefore i thin that i can do it soledring wise, programming - dark room (garage), koffe, dead braincells and the ones that are alive are clocked, no sleep and then i can do it

Thanks Fred for unrestricting my account! Im free:D

SMD, i have no experiense neither do i have the gear. For soldering i need a station (better to buy and own then to do and fail) for fixing stuff you need station + hot air. Cheaper stations start at a price of 19EUR like that one and on 12th when i have my payday ill make myself a present. As far as tips go i need to buy some of them to try out what suits me the best.
Fred

Post by Fred »

ivan141 wrote:If you do mess up, good desoldering wire is a must have as well.
Usually known as "solder wick" as it wicks the solder up from where ever it's hiding! :-) Essential equipment for sure, especially hand soldering fine pitch stuff.