Connector Discussion

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Connector Discussion

Post by DeuceEFI »

Ok, the original TE Connectivity Super Seal 1.0mm connector header I planned on using had a 17 week lead time, so I had to re-think my connector situation...

I found the AMPSEAL Sealed Connector Series on the TE Connectivity site...

Quote from the TE site:
" This wire-to-board system provides two-way sealing of the interface and wires that makes these environmentally superior heavy-duty connectors not only waterproof, but submersible as well. Connectors are available in cable plugs and pc boardmount headers. "

I have ordered the maximum number of free samples of the following (which they had in stock at SEVERAL vendors online) and they have been shipped:

QTY:1 Part# 1-776163-1 AMPSEAL 3-Row/35 position Right Angle Connector Header/color=black Gold Pins, URL: http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-77616 ... s_cid=SAM4 Price: Approximately $12 USD each, minimum is 1

QTY:1 Part# 776231-1 AMPSEAL 3-Row/35 position Vertical Connector Header/color=black Tin Pins, URL: http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/776231- ... s_cid=SAM4 Price: Approximately $12 USD each, minimum is 1 although this is for Tin pins rather than the Gold listed above.

The above mate with Part # 776164-1 below:

QTY:1 Part# 776164-1 AMPSEAL 3-Row/35 position Free Hanging Connector Housing/color=black, URL: http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/776164- ... s_cid=SAM4 Price: Approximately $9 USD each, minimum is 1

Socket Contacts below are for the Connector housing above...

QTY:25 Part# 770520-3 AMPSEAL Gold Plated Socket Contact for AWG 16-20 wires/rated 17A, URL: http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/770520- ... s_cid=SAM4 Price: Approximately $0.325 USD each, minimum is 5000

QTY:10 Part# 770854-3 AMPSEAL Gold Plated Socket Contact for AWG 16-20 wires/rated 17A, URL http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/770854- ... s_cid=SAM4 Price: Approximately $0.68 USD each, minimum is 1

Both of the above Socket Contacts are crimp connectors...

QTY:10 Part# 770678-1 AMPSEAL Plug (for unused housing positions), URL: http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/770678- ... s_cid=SAM4 Price: Approximately $0.22 USD each, minimum is 1

They also have different color Connector Header and Housings available, I asked for a few other colors as well...

Here is the base search URL: http://www.te.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connec ... &BML=&LG=1

This will save you from having to find it again via searching the website :-)
Peter

Re: Connector Discussion

Post by Peter »

Personally, I hate trying to solder a wire onto the middle line of connectors when they have three rows. Granted you shouldn't have to do that if everything works out OK the first time, but I'm guessing you know how that goes. I'd recommend something along this line http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... ND/1969213 They don't have a picture of the female side on Digikey, but if you look at the data sheet it has a few pictures.
:-p
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Peter wrote:Personally, I hate trying to solder a wire onto the middle line of connectors when they have three rows. Granted you shouldn't have to do that if everything works out OK the first time, but I'm guessing you know how that goes. I'd recommend something along this line http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... ND/1969213 They don't have a picture of the female side on Digikey, but if you look at the data sheet it has a few pictures.
I took a quick look and it looks good and I like the price and the fact they stock them :-) I've got samples coming of the TE Connectivity and AMPSEAL connects, so we'll see how bad they are once they arrive :-)
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Attached is the proposed connector pin out for the TE Connectivity 35 position AMPSEAL Header Assembly, Part# 1-776163-2.
Attachments
Connector-Pinout.png
Fred

Post by Fred »

Some thoughts:

O2 doesn't need a ground, however you could do with another sensor ground for :
TPS ground should be "sensor ground out" or something, and shared between CHT, IAT, MAT, TPS
You have 8 injectors running off one ground pin, not enough, really, use 2, you have 3 NC pins to use for that.
You could do with a sensor ground near the VR inputs too for a shield termination point if using two core plus shield.
I don't like the power being close to the RPM stuff, that's not ideal... VR, analog, low current, high current, grounds/powers is more ideal. At least move power to between low current and high current if you need it in that place.

I found that diagram really hard to read. Better to show them aligned even if they're not? Or offset the centre row to indicate the physical layout? It was either way too big for my screen or impossible to make out the characters on. I couldn't win.

There could be other improvements to make too.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

I have revised my connector schematic and created a few PDFs as well in the connector directory, let me know your thoughts :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

What is IGN GND for? Repurpose for sensor ground? (the more the merrier)

You don't have a "ground out" near TPS, and you moved the TPS 5V which is low current and considered part of the sensor setup far away. Ahh, I see you moved the sensor ground down there too. That's a low current ground and belongs with the sensors that its for. If there is current on that, your sensor readings will be fucked :-) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You don't have a ground out near the CHT, IAT, MAT either. You do have an NC in both the analogue section and the VR section. I'd make both of those grounds, then you have one ground for each shield on the VRs, should they be used for that.

Looks decent other than that.

Fred.

PS, done from schem pdf in connector dir hash 90048f9f3fd6243dabdbfdaedbe573fc4569ecb8
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Fred wrote:What is IGN GND for? Repurpose for sensor ground? (the more the merrier)
That it was the equivalent of a sensor ground, to keep the TTL I/O lines from the DIS module on the same ground as the sensor ground on the PCB. I have relabeled this one on the schematic and on the silkscreen for the Connector board.
Fred wrote:You don't have a "ground out" near TPS, and you moved the TPS 5V which is low current and considered part of the sensor setup far away. Ahh, I see you moved the sensor ground down there too. That's a low current ground and belongs with the sensors that its for. If there is current on that, your sensor readings will be fucked :-) Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I was undecided on whether the TPS 5v and the Sensor GNDs belonged in the Analog Section or the Powers/Ground section, so based on your clarification I have moved TPS 5v and added a Sensor GND next to the TPS pin in the Analog Inputs section. :-)
Fred wrote:You don't have a ground out near the CHT, IAT, MAT either. You do have an NC in both the analogue section and the VR section. I'd make both of those grounds, then you have one ground for each shield on the VRs, should they be used for that.
I have added two more Sensor GNDs in the Analog Input section and separated the Crank-Shield from the Cam-Shield.

My repository has been updated with the latest PDFs for the connector.
hash = 781fd33a42b0543e78f45f8979c4fcabaf8128f3
Fred

Post by Fred »

Looks better! About your EST ground, I don't think that that's a good idea. The unit will be grounded separately to the block/head/battery, and so will you be, so by putting that there, you're creating a loop. If that module is moving around, you get pulled around with it. Considering your own internal grounds are split, your CPU ground will never be far from true ground, so the signal should match pretty well with anything, even if the other thing is moving around a bit. I'd avoid hooking it up and use it for something else close instead. Roll with it :-)
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Ok, I removed the EST-GND reference and now that pin is strickly a Sensor-GND pin.

All of the files in the connector directory have been updated in my repository.

Time to etch the board :-)