Project JAGuar for FreeEMS

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Project JAGuar for FreeEMS

Post by DeuceEFI »

Just wanted to introduce my latest venture into hardware development for FreeEMS, I offer JAGuar. It's purpose is to run General Motors 4-6 cylinder engines with Hi-Z injectors (one per cylinder) with Wasted Spark or electronic advance distributor. Currently it is a mixture of SMD and thru-hole components and fits on a 3" x 5" double sided board. The SMD components are on one side and the thru-hole on the other, or you can place the passive devices (capacitors and resistors) on the same side as the SMD components.

Currently I am in the process of etching my own board to test with and will post my KiCAD files on github as soon as I figure that out.

Thank you to all the previous developers for your help in making FreeEMS the EMS for my 1932 Ford Coupe!

Andy
Fred

Re: Project JAGuar for FreeEMS

Post by Fred »

Wow! :-) You've been very very quiet about this!!! I hope it's all pin compatible etc. Fingers crossed! :-) Looking forward to pics too!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Dan

Post by Dan »

pics pics pics pics pics ! :-)
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

I think I have read thru the posts regarding PUMA Spin 2 plus the Ravage Project and here is a run-down of the I/O ports that I determined that were used between the two projects...(I too have my fingers crossed that my pin out matches the software :-)

Inputs:
Tach-RPM-Input Port T0
Crank-RPM Port T1
Intake Air Temp Port AN00
Coolant/Head Temp Port AN01
TPS Port AN02
O2 Port AN03
MAP Port AN04
AAP Port AN05 - Future Use
BRV Port AN06
Manifold Air Temp Port AN07
O2#2 Port AN08
Mass Air Flow Port AN10

Outputs:
Fuel Pump Relay Output Port A7
Injectors PortB 0-5
DIS-Advance-Signal Port T2

I know Fred has said in the past when I first inquired about my version of a board that full sequential of 6 injectors may or may not be possible, especially since I know the crankshaft position sensor on the front of my GM v-6 is a 24x used only for the tachometer for the dash display, but I do have a camshaft position sensor that GM originally used for sequential injection at low RPM (up to cruise speed of about 2200 RPM), but past that they went to batch or bank injection.

As soon as I figure out how to setup an account and sync my KiCAD files I will share them. I have posted a few sneak peek pictures to the FreeEMS FaceBook page as well as my own FaceBook page.

Andy
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Here are a few teaser pics of the board from KiCAD.
Attachments
SMD component side
SMD component side
Thru hole component side
Thru hole component side
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

I also found that TE.com ships FREE (as in beer... mmmmm beeeer) samples of the connectors that Dan was considering using for Ravage. I have a set of 26 conductor and 34 conductor male/female Super Seal 1.0mm connectors including the pins on their way...

No silly DB-37 computer connector anymore for me, lol... :-)

Andy
Dan

Post by Dan »

Impressive! :-)

What pin count CPU are you using?

Can we see a schematic? does KiCAD export to PDF or something so we can see it?

Those connectors are the go! :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Some sad news! Check the injector and ignition pages of RavAGE, you're going to be doing some jumpering to get things working, or, running very very alpha code by Sean. Though if you do that, you do not have my support, only his, for everything, not just that code, sorry, but that's the way it has to be for the time being. Right now we have only 6 outputs. T2-7, shared between ign and fueling. it shouldn't be too painful, hopefully to run resistor feeds from them to your injector drives. Fingers crossed. This is why I ask everyone who is running/designing/doing anything real to keep in close contact with me. In any case, Sean will be happy to have a tester, hopefully he's got what it takes to support the rest of your install/setup, software, wiring and config wise too.

Looks cool! :-) What are the four huge electro looking things? Hopefully not four huge electros :-) Putting huge capacitance on the board is a bad idea as it drags current across the ground during voltage fluctuations in the vehicle. 50uF max is likely a good choice, 10uF min, same before and after each reg.

Will have to review more later, gotta get up eat and drive somewhere without being deported today.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Fred,
I have made my design flexible as you have mentioned in the past, like the Ravage project, I can jumper between port Bx and port Tx (I guess at 11pm last night I forgot to mention that), so I want to stay with your code, no offense to Sean...

My goal is to make JAGuar 100% compatible with the FreeEMS-Vanilla code so that way upgrading is easier. Plus I can help test your code as the Deuce is missing it's body at the moment (body work being done) so I have an exposed engine and wiring harness so changes are easy to make.

I will run for the time being with batch injection using 3 injection outputs (setup to inject to mimic the wasted spark ignition pattern). It won't be perfect, but better that the current aftermarket EMS... :-)

Is port A7 still OK to use for the Fuel Pump Relay output? Or do I need to use one of the port Tx outputs as well?

I had planned on 1000uF for the four electro's since that is what I saw in the DFH and Puma power supply circuits, but I will change them to 47uF.

So to recap, here's what I should be looking at, correct?

Inputs:
Port T0 - Tach-RPM-Input
Port T1 - Crankshaft/Camshaft-RPM-sensor - Future Use, not sure what my wheel patterns are on the crank and cam

Port AN00 - Intake Air Temp
Port AN01 - Coolant/Head Temp
Port AN02 - TPS
Port AN03 - O2
Port AN04 - MAP
Port AN05 - AAP - Future Use, not required currently
Port AN06 - BRV
Port AN07 - Manifold Air Temp
Port AN08 - O2#2
Port AN10 - Mass Air Flow - Future Use, not required currently

Outputs:
Port T2 - Ignition Advance to GM DIS Module
Port T3 - Injectors 1 & 3
Port T4 - Injectors 2 & 5
Port T5 - Injectors 3 & 6

I can also jumper the injector outputs to the injectors at the connector, all my injector wires run from each injector back to the EMS connector.

I am truly open to any suggestions or comments to help improve my board so that it follows the FreeEMS standards.

----

Dan,

I am using the 112 pin Motorola CPU as I was trying to mimic what Fred and the others were doing along with keeping it the same so I can also test with my TA board as well.

I will post the schematic as soon as I figure out how to export from KiCAD to PDF... :-)

Andy
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

KiCAD Schematics are now on github.com:

https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar

I will post the .pdf in a few minutes...

Andy