Project JAGuar for FreeEMS

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
lumpensack2003
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Project JAGuar for FreeEMS

Post by lumpensack2003 »

Fred wrote:Lumpensack, why do you say "or even FTDI's famous ferrite bead" ie, why "or even"? Do you feel that it's inferior to a resistor? I'm curious!

Good catch on the pull downs!

Fred.
Hi Fred,

the ferrite is for sure the best solution, but sometimes hard to get (especially locally ...).
The resistor is a fix in this case that works.

Cheers,
GJ
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK, thanks for clearing that up :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Thanks GJ, I ordered some 22R resistors and may have some ferrite beads left over from a Amateur Radio project...

Well my Digikey order has arrived and I have successfully etched a Jaguar PCB :lol:

Now it is time to drill it out and run a reflow cycle to solder on the SMD devices :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Now it's time to take some photographs and post them here pre-soldering
Fixed! :-)

EDIT: See other thread! Too many threads? LOL
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Yeah, to many threads, ran into a problem after etching...
While drilling the holes to the specs of the KiCAD modules I noticed that the pads were VERY tiny...
They are still there and conduct but I think I was right in not continuing with those pad dimensions. I have modified the pad and drill dimensions in my modules files (located in the pcb-modules directory) to accurately describe the components specified.

I also added text to the SMD side, check it out when you get a chance, either in the Jaguar-SMD-Side.png or Jaguar-PCB.pdf file.

I will etch and drill one of these tomorrow morning before contacting Silver Circuits to have a pilot batch of 4 made professionally so that I have the ground plane on the Thru Hole side.

If you see any issues, please let me know, I would like to order the pilot batch either on Friday 2/10 or on Monday 2/13.

Thanks,
Fred

Post by Fred »

I had a look and didn't see anything dodgy. I'd say you should do a hand etch before you spend money on an order, but time is money and perhaps it's cheaper to just order and order again if there is a cockup. Your call there. The CPU can be saved if the board is toast, unless the board toasts the CPU. You can do the CPU after the power supply in order to check the levels before installing it too.
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Fred wrote:I had a look and didn't see anything dodgy. I'd say you should do a hand etch before you spend money on an order, but time is money and perhaps it's cheaper to just order and order again if there is a cockup. Your call there. The CPU can be saved if the board is toast, unless the board toasts the CPU. You can do the CPU after the power supply in order to check the levels before installing it too.
I'm going to use the first Rev A.2 board I etched for power supply testing to make sure that works and is routed to the correct CPU pins without having a CPU on the board :-)

As for another hand etch, check out viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1551
it has a pic of the revised A.2 PCB.

I added text to the PCB and corrected the ground plane under the CPU. I will wait until Monday to make a decision to order a set of professional PCBs as I'm having a few issues with the ignition advance signal coming out of both my TA board and my prototype on PT2 using the firmware I compiled with my decoder configuration for 24and1. MegaTunix sees the RPM correctly with both the crank and cam inputs, but I'm not getting anything out for the advance signal...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Probably because you've not configured anything on it ;-)

I can help with that, but in the mean time, don't test outputs using inputs, use the bench test firmware, much better ;-)

As for the older board, once you're 100% happy, place a processor and tack down the ground, power, config, bdm and comms pins. you should be able to load code to it with the BDM and get comms with mtx after you load firmware with sean's loader. You need to learn all that stuff anyway, so best to spend some time getting used to the process. Maybe you could document using the BDM on linux if you can figure out how. I didn't yet.

Fred.
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Fred wrote:Probably because you've not configured anything on it ;-)
That brings me to my next question, how do I go about configuring the firmware for the outputs? I need PT2 to be the ignition advance, PT3 to be high only when RPM is above 300 RPM. PT4, 5 and 6 will be for 3 pairs of injectors.
Fred wrote:I can help with that, but in the mean time, don't test outputs using inputs, use the bench test firmware, much better ;-)
Cool, I have attached a pic showing the benchtest firmware running with the Cam and Crank inputs from my JimStim.
Fred wrote:As for the older board, once you're 100% happy, place a processor and tack down the ground, power, config, bdm and comms pins. you should be able to load code to it with the BDM and get comms with mtx after you load firmware with sean's loader. You need to learn all that stuff anyway, so best to spend some time getting used to the process.
Cool, I have a test board I tested my reflow oven with that I am using right now for my prototype of the circuits for the Jaguar board. I will however get the CPU, optos and the ft232rl reflowed to test the comms.

Currently my prototype board is working with MTX and with Sean's loader :-)
Fred wrote:Maybe you could document using the BDM on linux if you can figure out how. I didn't yet.
I haven't been able to get it to work properly in linux YET, so I have to boot into WinXP or Win7 to get my TBDML to work properly.
Attachments
My first CPU reflow prototype board
My first CPU reflow prototype board
Benchtest firmware with Cam and Crank inputs from JimStim
Benchtest firmware with Cam and Crank inputs from JimStim
Fred

Post by Fred »

DeuceEFI wrote:That brings me to my next question, how do I go about configuring the firmware for the outputs? I need PT2 to be the ignition advance, PT3 to be high only when RPM is above 300 RPM. PT4, 5 and 6 will be for 3 pairs of injectors.
PT3 will require some custom code, I'll put an issue up for it now. PT2 will require 6 entries on the same pin. PT456 will require your choice of 3 scheds or 3 hard codes. Hold off, though, I'm about to restructure that part of the code quite heavily. Once I've done that, I'll set it up for you.

http://issues.freeems.org/view.php?id=524
Fred wrote:Maybe you could document using the BDM on linux if you can figure out how. I didn't yet.
I haven't been able to get it to work properly in linux YET, so I have to boot into WinXP or Win7 to get my TBDML to work properly.
Could you please write a thread on how you got it working in Windows? Or is there a good doc page you can link to for us less enlightened folks? I have one and haven't used it and Preston has one arriving and needs to use it too. I'll do it in a Win VM if I have to :-)

Fred.