VolvoGuy's Jaguar 0.7 build Serial#21

Andy's GM DIS centric hardware design! Also works as a fuel controller for EDIS and distributor applications.
Fred

Re: VolvoGuy's Jaguar 0.7 build Serial#21

Post by Fred »

BRV readings will affect injector dead time and coil dwell numbers, so the accuracy of your tune in those respects and its portability across devices etc depends on the accuracy of that reading. Hence split.

However, in practice if your ECU power feed is decent gauge wire and relay controlled by the key, then you get a very good quality reading anyway, and it's not a concern.

The real voltage you want is two-fold, you want the supply voltage of your injectors post-loom and you want the supply voltage of your coils post loom, assuming you have test data and the data was measured at the device without a loom drop. Obviously the closest you can get is just measuring the battery accurately, so that's what we aim for.

On the bench depends on what you expect to do? Not required if you don't need realistic calcs, no damage will be done by not having it.

Not sure about your question 3. I assume yes? IIRC this is just going on a B230F redblock at which point IAC is your only accessory, right? :-D Or is it going to be built up, with more stuff?

Bugger re not realising USB 5v only powers the USB IC. Ooops. Good news that it still basically functions! Onward and upward :-)

What's your time frame? When you get a bit closer to needing it, we should talk on skype or similar. There are particular versions of various bits of code you should be using, and other tips.

Some board photos might be a good idea, too? I see you used to use photobucket, might pay to log in and rehost them and get me to fix your other thread up.

Good to see you floating around. I've been having lots of Volvo fun recently. And carnage. But mostly fun :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

Fred wrote:IIRC this is just going on a B230F redblock at which point IAC is your only accessory, right? :-D
Actually that's almost definitely true, yes. Partly I'd forgotten that the fan, fuel pump, etc, would be driven by HSD/LSD. Partly, I'm also harboring delusions of getting an rpm signal to an Arduino so I can drive the stock Amazon speedo cylinder with a stepper motor and an L298N. It's a distraction I should ignore for now.
Fred wrote:What's your time frame?
I read your recent post on turbobricks and felt like it should be me asking you that question :) A couple of months would be great, a few months would be OK. There are lots of cobbled roads around here that I'd love to be losing traction on by June/July.
Fred wrote:Some board photos might be a good idea, too? I see you used to use photobucket
Yes I was one of the many people upon whose chips Photobucket pissed.
Fred wrote:might pay to log in and rehost them and get me to fix your other thread up.
Done. They're here, the following three are the ones left from my build thread. I don't seem to have the photos I took of the CAS-distributor hack job I wrote about in that other thread, and they're no longer visible on Photobucket.

Car: https://ibb.co/mP4JVn
TPS: https://ibb.co/mbEwGS
IAT: https://ibb.co/ixMXqn

I'll get board and hopefully more car photos soon too.

Shopping list question:
Will these be OK to use with the Jaguar? The only mention of them on the site I could find was here.
60lb/630cc Siemens Deka injectors. fi114961. (Can't find a proper tech sheet).
Specifications:

Coil Resistance: 12.5 Ohms / High Impedance / High-Z (No ECM driver modifications required)

Static Flow Rate @ 43.5PSI ( 300kPa ) w/Gas: 60 lb/hr = 630 cc/min = 453 g/min

Static Flow Rate @ 87PSI ( 600kPa ) w/Gas: 85.7 lb/hr = 900 cc/min = 648 g/min

Gain: 0.11ms/mg

Offset: 0.055ms

Turn on time @ 14VDC: 1.14ms

Turn off time: 0.85ms @ 600KPa

Connector: Bosch EV6

Series: DEKA 4 ( DEKA IV )

Orifice Type: Multi-orifice

Spray Pattern: 30 Degree Spray Cone
Thanks. I want to spend some money :)
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

volvoguy wrote: Done. They're here
No they're not. Looks like imgbb doesn't allow people to browse all of an uploader's pictures.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Spend it all on ME :-D I jest. Though shit's going south fast soon if the wife doesn't get a job because I don't earn enough for our current set of expenses, post tax. Sigh. New job time, ASAP.

Injectors look fine. All the data in that link is good, will make the thing run well if you dial it in and it's accurate data.

There's plenty of good code that can run your intended setup with relative ease, so don't stress. You're likely to be the limitation time wise :-)

I was mostly asking to see if I could find the time to make some further improvements to stuff before then.

Apologies for laggy reply. Been a hectic few days...

Let me know if you come up with a new/old image link mapping I can undertake to fix for you.
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

Photos of board progress.

I wish I'd just run the wires out of the box and used in-line connectors, these surface mount connectors require a lot of space inside the container, even with the pins trimmed down. I chose them because I want to have the board installed with a fairly quick-release method as a theft obstacle, but either method would allow that.

The electrical tape is hiding shame, and preventing two poorly soldered wires from touching. A more permanent solution will be found.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Man, I did a top-mount connector like that for Josh of Yoshifab fame and it was a "see you en tee" to get right! :-D nice effort!

Took me a while to find the tape, though! :-o
volvoguy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by volvoguy »

I've done some lockdown wiring. I put the benchtest firmware with the CAS-backwards timing on the Jaguar about a year ago and just got around to spinning up the CAS with a drill to have a look.

I tried it in both directions just to be sure. I checked the firmware and it should be the right version.

I figure if I spin the CAS up in the normal Mitsi direction with firmware that's expecting it, and it works, then I can rule out my soldering being the issue and go from there.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes, that's fair logic. The hacked code may be wrong and it's touchy/sensitive code (on purpose) so if it's just slightly wrong it won't work at all, typically.

I think of you every time I see a photo of an Amazon :-) Saw a few sweet ones recently on the interwebs.

Unrelated, I got physically threatened for the parking location of my two best Volvos today. I hate losers like that :-/

I should give you a call and have a chat some time.