freescale eval board?

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

freescale eval board?

Post by Impregacy »

Is this on the list of workable boards? Seems to be the most affordable to me at $71 US.

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partg ... 512e/39218

edit: found user's guide
edit 2: sorry wrong user's guide. I can't find the user's guide for this exact model #
Last edited by Impregacy on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Re: freescale eval board?

Post by Fred »

Doesn't look to be an XDP board at all.

What is your application? And are you dead set on a DIY setup? If you are, good on you, but they're not easy. If you're not, get a Jaguar, instead.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

found it on mauser also:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fre ... 4wsjUeHof4

they do say "9S12XDP512 DEMO BOARD" in the description but does't make sense that the part numbers are xdt512E maybe there is a sepearate numbering system for demo boards?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well, if you can determine what it is, and that it has a suitable IO setup for real use, then go for it. Otherwise it's your risk. If risk is a factor, Jaguar is very very low risk.
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

Looks like there is a forum down in SD, CA that will give you a "Freedom" development board (about 10 bucks valued) if you attend the free developers conference. Just saw it on the freescale board. Check out the website, its super slow to come up on my 'puter for some reason. And of course i cant find it now. Its not related to our mcu but perhaps someday it could be.
Read my old Emails, the conference was Nov 24 in SD. And I got the email 2 days ago? hahahahaaa.
Last edited by pishta on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

well I guess I was going to try and take the extreme frugality approach--because wife.

Was thinking I would be in trouble if I go full jaguar build at $200 plus and screw up the SMD soldering or something. I thought it would be a conservative approach to get this demo board and throw the firmware onto it in a safe manner only $70-$100 in and knowing I was capable to that point. Of course then I still have to buy all the stuff for input output circuits later, but it might be a more flexible setup, but I don't know anymore.

By suitable IO setup, do you mean the right number of IO pins are brought out and arranged properly on the board?

My application would be either my lawnmower or my 1985 toyota pickup's old 22R engine, or the 2005 GM 5.3L V8 I'm putting in it, but that has 8 COPs ignition so I should wait for the xgate acceptance maybe. So probably my lawnmower's Vtwin with the 36-1 wheel I have left over from a MS build, plus one GM DIS pack or something.
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

Impregacy wrote:well I guess I was going to try and take the extreme frugality approach--because wife.

Was thinking I would be in trouble if I go full jaguar build at $200 plus and screw up the SMD soldering or something. I thought it would be a conservative approach to get this demo board and throw the firmware onto it in a safe manner only $70-$100 in and knowing I was capable to that point. Of course then I still have to buy all the stuff for input output circuits later, but it might be a more flexible setup, but I don't know anymore.

By suitable IO setup, do you mean the right number of IO pins are brought out and arranged properly on the board?

My application would be either my lawnmower or my 1985 toyota pickup's old 22R engine, or the 2005 GM 5.3L V8 I'm putting in it, but that has 8 COPs ignition so I should wait for the xgate acceptance maybe. So probably my lawnmower's Vtwin with the 36-1 wheel I have left over from a MS build, plus one GM DIS pack or something.
Doing it on the cheep: board was 15 bucks, freescale was 16 shipped, bulk of price is those mil-spec connectors but you could get away by using a printer cable and a few larger wires for higher draw connections. Its up to you. Fred, Andy and the boys are only giving us a fine example of what will work, not what can work. SMT soldering is a piece of cake with a fine tipped soldering iron, its just tedious unless you have mastered the "flood and rake" method. Can do an entire side of 28 fine pitch pins in about 10 seconds.
If you are waiting on sequential for an 8 cylinder, its only sequential to a point. After that the valves open and close faster than the duty cycle of the injector so its still spraying onto a closed valve, bank style. Give it a shot.

You lawnmower guys can pack a walbro efi pump in your fuel tank? When i think of lawnmowers, I think of a Toro 2 stroke Tecumseh powered push mower.
Fred

Post by Fred »

EDIT: pishta beat me to it, haven't read his post, resubmitting now.

Re IO, I'm not really sure what I mean. It's conceivable that it could have some key pins not brought out at all, or used for some silly stuff on the board, or something weird.

Clock configuration is another consideration, the firmware is setup for a certain clock setup, and if yours varies, you may have to run patched firmware and/or serial monitor.

Re your wife, you should also see this: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=2225 Jaguar with a minimal risky setup is way superior to a DIY setup IMO.

DIY is highly satisfying, but a huge pain in the butt, especially if you're trying to come to terms with the software and firmware and so forth at the same time too.

Fred.