New BrickRPM Dual VR Conditioner Board!

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
longhorn262
TO220 - Visibile

Re: New BrickRPM Dual VR Conditioner Board!

Post by longhorn262 »

Thanks. Yeah I was just googled VR conditioners and the only thing that comes up is your's and jbperf. Your website had no contact information so I set up an account here.

I just want to make sure on a few things..

I have the VR with shielded wiring ran to the relay board for MS. I then use the VR conditioner on MS. I should be able to take your board and put it in the proto area and run a wire from where tach (VR) comes into the MS conditioner to BrickRPM. Then a wire from BrickRPM output to the tachSEL on the MS board effectively bypassing the MS conditioner. I do not need any pullup's or anything of that nature?

Again thanks for the response.
Sprockets
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Sprockets »

Following on from that, my situation mirrors longhorns precisely! The transition from google VR search -> MAX9926 chipset -> BrickRPM -> here!!

My application is slightly different though, as it is being used in an ignition controller and data logger based on an STM8 uC for a twin cylinder drag bike. Nothing on the market fitted my needs, it was either to large, to expensive, or just didn't do what I wanted. The answer? build my own! As it's a non commercial design, it's basically being built as a rugged prototype, as such I am using the STMBase8 dev board (tiny little thing) which has everything I require on board apart from power reg and VR. The power is simple enough, but prototyping SMD is tricky!

The RPMBrick is perfect as my application was originally treated as 2 separate systems running in parallel, so there are 2 VR sensors on the crank, and only 1 'tooth'. Rather than do anything with the original trigger, it's easier to just code it as such. There is more than enough processing power to be lazy. Not good form I know, but functionality is my priority! It will fire a pair of the now infamous D585 'yukon' coils.

Other features are the 2 step launch control, quickshifter and datalogging various chassis and engine parameters.

I will post more info and pics in a spereate thread.

Many thanks

-Gavin
Fred

Post by Fred »

longhorn262 wrote:Thanks. Yeah I was just googled VR conditioners and the only thing that comes up is your's and jbperf. Your website had no contact information so I set up an account here.
I think another company of M$ lineage makes something similar too. Might be only a single channel variant, though. I guess the moral of the story is "make it and they will come" even if you're not ready for them :-)
I have the VR with shielded wiring ran to the relay board for MS. I then use the VR conditioner on MS.
I never liked those... I wonder if you could improve your situation by more direct wire routing? Routing is the single most important thing, then connections/topology. But even with the perfect circuit, routing can and will screw you, as the owners of engine 19 found out recently :-)
I should be able to take your board and put it in the proto area and run a wire from where tach (VR) comes into the MS conditioner to BrickRPM. Then a wire from BrickRPM output to the tachSEL on the MS board effectively bypassing the MS conditioner.
You'll need two wires, both sides of the differential VR signal need to be connected directly to the brick board and notthing else. However other than that, yes, you can just bypass the other circuit entirely.
I do not need any pullup's or anything of that nature?
No, it has pulliups built in. All it needs is 5V, Ground and two ins and an our per channel. http://brickems.com/brickrpm/install
Again thanks for the response.
You're welcome! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome Gavin! :-)
Sprockets wrote:My application is slightly different though, as it is being used in an ignition controller and data logger based on an STM8 uC for a twin cylinder drag bike. Nothing on the market fitted my needs, it was either to large, to expensive, or just didn't do what I wanted. The answer? build my own! As it's a non commercial design, it's basically being built as a rugged prototype, as such I am using the STMBase8 dev board (tiny little thing) which has everything I require on board apart from power reg and VR. The power is simple enough, but prototyping SMD is tricky!

The RPMBrick is perfect as my application was originally treated as 2 separate systems running in parallel, so there are 2 VR sensors on the crank, and only 1 'tooth'. Rather than do anything with the original trigger, it's easier to just code it as such. There is more than enough processing power to be lazy. Not good form I know, but functionality is my priority! It will fire a pair of the now infamous D585 'yukon' coils.

Other features are the 2 step launch control, quickshifter and datalogging various chassis and engine parameters.

I will post more info and pics in a separate thread.
I read your sign up info and unnoobed you, hence your post came straight through. I look forward to reading about your project in the new thread :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

We're out of stock of the current BrickRPM design! Apologies to anyone who wants one. A new slightly updated design is on the near horizon, and I'll update this thread with some photos of the new board once they're finished and I have them in my hot little hands.

Thread about the final stock of the current model is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2080

longhorn262 and jasonsubero, please confirm or deny! :-)

Fred.
wheeler_express
DIP8 - Involved

Post by wheeler_express »

Let me know when these become available again please

Kevin Alderman
Fred

Post by Fred »

There is one final one sitting here on the table, however I said I'd give that Jason guy a week to reply. If you want to register as it being for you, assuming he doesn't, post in the above linked thread :-)
Sprockets
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Sprockets »

I would like to say a big thank you to Fred as I received my unit in the post today, and would like to tell the other members of the board what a great (and tiny!) piece of kit it is. Highly professional looking piece and can't wait for the weekend to solder it in place and make some progress. Details will follow after the weekend.

-Gavin
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the high praise, Gavin! :-) It is pretty neat, if I do say so myself. It has a few subtle flaws though. Be careful soldering near the 0603 parts, they're easy to bridge to, and REALLY hard to un-bridge. Don't forget to use a shunt resistor with it :-)
WarBirdBike
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by WarBirdBike »

Hi Fred,
I can't seem to PM you as I just registered.

I'm looking to order two BrickRPM Dual VR Conditioner Boards and have one question. After reading through all the discussion in this thread it is still unclear to me; "Is the signal input 'trigger point' adjustable?"

Thanks,
WarBirdBike