My Puma build.

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

My Puma build.

Post by johntramp »

Hi all. After having the puma board sitting around for many months, I am finally starting to get it together. Many thanks to all the hours Preston and Fred spent reviving this dead project for us. I am still not quit sure where I am going with this, but it is likely I will hook it up to my 4age.

Here are a couple of photos of where I am with the board:

I am having some troubles with the FTDI chip at the moment. It doesn't get any response from dmesg or lsusb when connected to a PC.

Cheers
Last edited by johntramp on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Re: My Puma build.

Post by Fred »

Holy HUGE images, batman! Good thing that it's only two of them :-p

Link to full res and display 1024 or 1280 in future, pretty please.

I see that you've been to the Preston school of Puma building! :-)

Your one has a lot missing that mine has on it, BUT, mine went to the Marcos school of as many components as you can unreasonably justify, so it's not too surprising, really.

Things for others to ignore:

FP FET should be the same as the rest. Should be correct in current BOM/instructions.
FET, MAP, AAP placement should suit your enclosure solution. Note, there isn't an official one... so don't feel obliged to follow Preston on this subjective item.
For the time being the port B fets are pretty much useless. Later they'll be useful, but before that, the two PWM FETs that are unpopulated above will be useful for idle/boost/fan/fp pwm control.

John, you've only got two FETs wired up in your picture. Initially you'll only need two drivers, one coil, one injector, but later on you'll likely want waste spark ign and sequential injection so you might wanna hook up two more of your FETs.

Unsure what's up with your FTDI setup. Good luck with that. I can give you Presto's number for phone support if you want.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by johntramp »

I see that you've been to the Preston school of Puma building! :-)
Yes, I hope there was some method in the madness.
FP FET should be the same as the rest. Should be correct in current BOM/instructions.
Mine is the same as Preston's guide, unless I am missing your point here? http://puma.freeems.org/how.to.guide/sp ... ter_reflow (About half way down this page).

FET, MAP, AAP placement should suit your enclosure solution. Note, there isn't an official one... so don't feel obliged to follow Preston on this subjective item.
It will likely become floor mounted. Exposed in all her glory.
For the time being the port B fets are pretty much useless. Later they'll be useful, but before that, the two PWM FETs that are unpopulated above will be useful for idle/boost/fan/fp pwm control.
I knew they weren't all functional, but I didn't know which were the good ones so did the lot.
John, you've only got two FETs wired up in your picture. Initially you'll only need two drivers, one coil, one injector, but later on you'll likely want waste spark ign and sequential injection so you might wanna hook up two more of your FETs.
I think at the moment my loom is set up for two injector drives. I was a bit confused about that part of the guide, so I copied Preston's photo:
Unsure what's up with your FTDI setup. Good luck with that. I can give you Presto's number for phone support if you want.
I will have a better look at what I have done, and hook up the logic analyser too.

Cheers
Fred

Post by Fred »

johntramp wrote:Yes, I hope there was some method in the madness.
I hope so too! :-)
Mine is the same as Preston's guide, unless I am missing your point here?
Yes, you are. It said for others to ignore. Presto sent you an odd man out. No idea why he wasn't consistent. Beware, that FET is not protected and can/will fail if shorted to 12V.
It will likely become floor mounted. Exposed in all her glory.
Nice! :-)
I knew they weren't all functional, but I didn't know which were the good ones so did the lot.
If you have a need for PWM, you may wish to jumper from a PWM CPU pin to one of them. They can be used for on/off as is and also for XG BB testing later, as is.
I think at the moment my loom is set up for two injector drives. I was a bit confused about that part of the guide, so I copied Preston's photo:
You just run wires from the input of the XOR to the input of the FET in question instead of where it normally gets its signal. No biggy.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!