View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:13 pm



Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
J-series Acura/Honda 
Author Message
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 268
The OEM ecu was reprogrammed by Jet Performance, and it has a Greddy e-manage piggyback ecu on it. Big surprise, it still doesn't run very well with two turbos on it. At least if it doesn't run very well with Free-ems, I'll be the only one to blame, and should be correctable if I want to spend the time to figure it out. My biggest problem with this project is the software. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to understand the source code, and it's beyond me. So hopefully(crossing my fingers) Fred will have the time to provide plenty of user support.

The preliminary board layout. 6 sockets for LM1949s, 1 socket for a MAX9927 soldered onto a SSOP to DIP adapter.
Image

The J35A3 with 6spd manual transmission.
Image

_________________
:-p


Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 am
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm
Posts: 15371
Location: Home sweet home!
Firstly, awesome!

Peter wrote:
At least if it doesn't run very well with Free-ems, I'll be the only one to blame

No, this isn't true at all. You'll definitely be able to blame me :-) http://issues.freeems.org at your service for that.

Quote:
and should be correctable if I want to spend the time to figure it out.

This is true, yes!

Quote:
My biggest problem with this project is the software. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to understand the source code, and it's beyond me.

Don't feel bad about it. Tomorrow I get DSL, if you'd like to have a chat on the phone to better understand it, we can arrange that easily. I have access to a US voip server, or there is skype.

Quote:
So hopefully(crossing my fingers) Fred will have the time to provide plenty of user support.

I'm here for you! At least some of the time :-)

Quote:
The preliminary board layout. 6 sockets for LM1949s, 1 socket for a MAX9927 soldered onto a SSOP to DIP adapter.

One comment, you've read this, right? : viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1084

What is your plan? Are you waiting on support for more pins? Or going wasted/semi seq? Or what?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 2038_n.jpg
^ Question: What is the brand, model and cost of your side cutters, they look lovely, I'm jealous! Are they flush cut? How stable is the hinge?

I hope you don't mind me posting in here. I can split it into a comments thread if you'd prefer.

Fred. <goes off to link Joseph Davis to this>

PS, I stole your photo for the FB DIY HW album. I hope that was OK.

_________________
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!


Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 am
Profile WWW
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 268
Fred wrote:
What is your plan? Are you waiting on support for more pins? Or going wasted/semi seq? Or what?

I'm thinking fuel only with semi sequential injection to start with. As long as I'm going to set a board up it should be able to be easily upgradeable to "better"/different methods of injection.
Fred wrote:
What is the brand, model and cost of your side cutters, they look lovely, I'm jealous! Are they flush cut? How stable is the hinge?

They're Xcelite model 110cg. They use to have a little spring that opened them, but I've used them so much that the spring broke. I didn't actually buy it. I found them in a box in my parents basement, and I'm pretty sure they belonged to my grandpa. It has a flush cutter, and the hinge takes a lot of abuse crimping smash connectors and cutting wires that are too big for it and it's still tight. By far the best dikes I own.
Fred wrote:
I hope you don't mind me posting in here. I can split it into a comments thread if you'd prefer.

It's your forum you can organize it however you like, because I don't really care. It would be nice if the comment threads would stick with it's topic threads in the index. Maybe in like an indented subsection so that it's easier to find the matching thread without having to open the thread and then click on the link.
Fred wrote:
Don't feel bad about it. Tomorrow I get DSL, if you'd like to have a chat on the phone to better understand it, we can arrange that easily. I have access to a US voip server, or there is skype.

My biggest problem is that I can't get the source code to compile even though it builds just fine. Generally when I'm trying to understand somebody's code, I comment things out so that the compiler will show me everything that it using that header file.
Fred wrote:
I stole your photo for the FB DIY HW album. I hope that was OK.

I'm using FB to host my pictures, and I posted it on here so it's already in the public domain.

_________________
:-p


Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 am
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm
Posts: 15371
Location: Home sweet home!
Peter wrote:
I'm thinking fuel only with semi sequential injection to start with. As long as I'm going to set a board up it should be able to be easily upgradeable to "better"/different methods of injection.

If you're going fuel only, you can and may as well go sequential right off the bat. You could swap to semi + wasted spark (or dizzy) later if you wanted to sort out the timing too.

Quote:
They're Xcelite model 110cg. <snip> By far the best dikes I own.

Thank you! :-)

Quote:
It's your forum you can organize it however you like, because I don't really care. It would be nice if the comment threads would stick with it's topic threads in the index.

I'll leave it as one, then. Can split later if you decide you'd like to.

Quote:
My biggest problem is that I can't get the source code to compile even though it builds just fine.

This seems to contradict itself? :-)

Quote:
the compiler will show me everything that it using that header file.

There is an easier way: http://docs.freeems.org/doxygen-html/df ... ce_8h.html

Quote:
I'm using FB to host my pictures, and I posted it on here so it's already in the public domain.

I knew, and know the legality behind it, but it's still polite to ask.

BTW, have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1315 ? At the least, you should swap R5 for a jumper.

Fred.

_________________
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!


Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:51 am
Profile WWW
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 268
Fred wrote:
If you're going fuel only, you can and may as well go sequential right off the bat.

Ok
Fred wrote:
This seems to contradict itself? :-)

The files get made if I follow your instructions(cd into src and then make all), but if I include all the files in a project in a C compiler like Java or CW it won't compile.
Fred wrote:
There is an easier way: http://docs.freeems.org/doxygen-html/df ... ce_8h.html

I hadn't found this, but it does look very helpful.
Fred wrote:
BTW, have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1315 ? At the least, you should swap R5 for a jumper.

Ya, JB2 is cut, and R5 has a wire bridging it on the bottom side of the board. Right now the PLL values are 3.32k 1%, 6.9nF, and 680pF because that's what I had available. I assume those values are close enough?
Fred wrote:
I knew, and know the legality behind it, but it's still polite to ask.

If I was worried about it being shared I won't post it was my point, but thanks for asking.

_________________
:-p


Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm
Posts: 15371
Location: Home sweet home!
Hmm, no idea what you're trying to do with the source files and Java or CW, neither of which are compatible with GCC C, but there is a lot of structure and it needs to be followed. Additionally you need the correct C compiler to build it, not just any C compiler due to platform specific controls and memory management in the linker. If you want to use an IDE, setup Eclipse to use the toolchain via a make file and you've got all the power of CDT at your disposal.

I've not had issues with the PLL, but the values found on the card are wrongish when measured against the freescale recommendations. I'd leave them alone if they're working for you.

Fred.

_________________
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!


Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 268
Fred wrote:
neither of which are compatible with GCC C

That would be the problem. I thought about any good C compiler would at least try to get the job done.
Fred wrote:
I'd leave them alone if they're working for you.

Too late.

_________________
:-p


Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:13 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm
Posts: 15371
Location: Home sweet home!
CW uses an earlier more primitive C standard and I make use of some of the later extensions, and by later I mean 1989 or something LOL... CW is shit. Period.

Java is a totally different language :-)

Even GCC from other versions than ours won't work as the instruction set is not known to them.

Eclipse will sort you out, get CDT and do us a write up on how to make it behave nicely with the correct tool set :-)

Don't worry about the PLL change, if it's working post the change, hooray, no problem.

Fred.

_________________
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!


Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 268
I made a little bit of progress today.
Do I need a VR sensor "trickery" circuit like the one in the Ravage schematics?
Do I want to use PT2-7 or PB0-5 for my injectors? Would it be safe to assume I can use the same pins for the same sensors as the Ravage does?
Edit2: Ravage has an Intake Air Temperature circuit and a Manifold Air Temp circuit. I'm thinking that an IAT sensor is fairly pointless if you're boosting the engine.

I'm starting to think I need a little bit bigger board.
Image

Edit: I'm going to go with PT2-7 based on http://issues.freeems.org/view.php?id=190

_________________
:-p


Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 am
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm
Posts: 15371
Location: Home sweet home!
Peter wrote:
I made a little bit of progress today.

Cool :-)

Quote:
Do I need a VR sensor "trickery" circuit like the one in the Ravage schematics?

No, if we decide to try stuff later, you can add it pretty easily, so KISS for now.

Quote:
Do I want to use PT2-7 or PB0-5 for my injectors? Would it be safe to assume I can use the same pins for the same sensors as the Ravage does?
Edit: I'm going to go with PT2-7 based on http://issues.freeems.org/view.php?id=190

Correct.

Quote:
Edit2: Ravage has an Intake Air Temperature circuit and a Manifold Air Temp circuit. I'm thinking that an IAT sensor is fairly pointless if you're boosting the engine.

You're thinking slightly wrongly. Intake to the engine, not into the turbo. MAT is currently unused, it's there to provide for a more sophisticated way of handling hot starts later. IAT is the one you want connected, and for a boosted app, the best place for the hardware is in the output tank or first tube of the intercooler on or near the front of the car with good ambient airflow, and not much radiant heat from exhausts and so on. I need to do an article on this as I've delivered this advice too many times.

Quote:
I'm starting to think I need a little bit bigger board.

Consider a small one for analogue stuff on top of your TA card rather than redoing everything? Or migrate the low Z stuff onto its own board. If you take all the low z stuff away to another box (in the engine bay if you want) then all you need is a line driver chip to push signal to it, this doesn't take much space at all. You'll sort something out, no doubt. I like how neat and tidy your efforts are :-) Reminds me of me.

Fred.

_________________
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!


Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF. ColorizeIt.