The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking COMMENTS

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
Fred

The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking COMMENTS

Post by Fred »

Original thread from the original gangster, Preston: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1427

Put your abuse, encouragement, feedback and general complaints about the quality of work here! I will do exactly that, myself, shortly! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking COMMENTS

Post by Fred »

Dear Preston, I'm bitterly disappointed at the state of the thread that you've just put up. It's dry and free of humour, like a police officer, or parking warden. Please do better in future, thanks.

Other than that... I was expecting it to be less thorough, however if this is a precursor to docs to come for hw assembly, i just got a...

Now, history! Because your ECU has a **LOT** of history and should be taken care of and loved appropriately by not burning out pins on the CPU, not exposing it to unnecessary RFI radiation and other such misdemeanors.

The prototype card is a nice plated one that I purchased in England back sometime before the 19th of August 2008!!! I did some work on it to mount it into a case EXACTLY like that one for the Toyota Carina that we had at the time, but never got the software far enough to warrant finishing the hardware. That card travelled a long way to get to Auckland NZ! You can see some old pictures of it here which explain why the corners were notched out like that :-)

The TA card has even more history! The TA card started life at Abe's place in San Diego, but never saw the light of day until I stole it from him and carried it around the USA in my car for 21000km. At Sean0's place in Phoenix I turned it into the very first FreeEMS hardware and installed it on the car in the forrest at "cinders". It stayed in the glove box after that and with me as I ventured across the US of A including the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bonneville Salt Flats, Pike's Peak, Detroit, The Dragon's Tail, Miami, and everywhere in between!!! At the end of that trip I got the car running on that very card and drove it up from Naples Florida to Atlanta Georgia where we Christened it and then decommissioned it. It then travelled back to NZ where I used it for a bench rig for a while before storing it and travelling again. Finally, just before I last left NZ I removed it from the original receiver board and entrusted it to em_knaps who originally built the current hardware. It got installed in a carpark while Preston was trying to wire up the first 4AGE FreeEMS with my Puma on the back of a truck! I left the country the next day and Preston kept the car to test FreeEMS on, and he's been doing a stellar job of that! :-)

Pics of the original motherboard setup:

Finally, the car itself has a lot of history! The owner before me had it for 21 years and kept it in perfect condition. Then I got hold of it for a couple of hundred nz dollars and fixed a few things. Then I ran out of money and had to teach someone a lessons and ended up living in it for 9 months in various parts of NZ, mostly Auckland. The car has been from the bottom of the North Island below Wellington to the top of the North Island, Cape Reinga. It's had many experiences and a lot of abuse. The car is the third car to run FreeEMS and the first to run only ignition!

In summary, Preston, take good care of that car and that circuit board and that TA card, all of them have historical and sentimental value, at least to me, if no one else!!! <3

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!