The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking Thread

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
Preston
LQFP112 - Up with the play

The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking Thread

Post by Preston »

The aim of this thread is to show all mods that are being made to the Hotel in the name of FreeEMS development!

Comments here please: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1428

Preston.
Preston
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Hyundai Stellar (aka Hotel Hyundai) Mods

Post by Preston »

The Hotel is currently running the original TA board, built up by Fred, modified by Dan and now hacked my hands.

I felt it was time today to get the TA board into an enclosure for a number of reasons
  • Stop unwanted interference, a prime example of this is the log of it receiving text messages :)
  • Passengers need somewhere to place their feet, and a general tidy up of wires doesn't go astray
  • The WOF is well overdue, and it's not a good look ems floating around. An being a daily driver I really don't want it to fail.
In the name of FreeEMS I located my 4AGE ems and decided to use this as the enclosure (the 4age will be Ravage, an can never go back).
The enclosure is fantastic for a number of reasons, one size, two full aluminum case, three really easy to work with.

Step one: Dismantle the remove OEM circuit board with connector. Note how the transistors are mounted to their own aluminium pad which is in turn bolted to the enclosure, it makes for easy assembly, an idea for ravage maybe?

With the enclosure stripped down were left with the surround, as you can see really easy to work with as bare structure is clean and simple.

Step two: Mount the board, surprisingly enough the board was snug fit. later I found out that Fred had planned originally to mount it in a 4afe case, now that's uncanny. Yo Fred great minds think alike :P
So I relocated some components that were close to the mounting area and then removed all copper surrounding screws where I was mounting the board. Two holes were drilled, I made one slotted (the one closest to the heat sink) to allow a little adjustments. It has been mounted in the location seen to minimize penetrations needed while maximise resistance to noise interference.
An aluminium right angle was made for the regulator that could be fastened under the reg and then fastened to the case. Heat paste was placed under each of the two joining surfaces. Note: the reg is isolated from the heat sink as the case will be grounded.

From the top side the reg can be seen at the top left, just below it is the opto input circuit (with yellow led). To the top right is MAP conditioner circuit and below it is the igniter circuit. The big black thing at the top is a Toyota OEM map sensor, and lastly the large cap (black) across the 5v rails. The cap was placed as close as possible to the TA power input so that it has a stable power source.

A close up on the setup. The cable for input to opto is missing and was added after the images were taken.
Wires coded as follows:
  • Red = ign
  • Clear = +12v and Ground
  • Green/Yellow (not seen here) = hall input

Finally the completed enclosure, will be grounded to the firewall in the car. Photo of this to follow in the next post.

Preston.
Fred

Re: The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking Thread

Post by Fred »

Presto, I changed the name of the thread:

Hyundai Stellar (aka Hotel Hyundai) Mods >> Re: The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking Thread

And created a comments thread here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1428

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: The Mighty Hotel Hyundai Hardware Hacking Thread

Post by Fred »

This ECU has been retired and entered into the hall of fame. Unless someone donates a pluggable TA card to replace the one I damaged removing the CPU that Presto damaged, it's going to stay that way. No big deal, a flow of new Jaguar variants should keep me satisfied for the foreseeable future.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!