TA parts list

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

TA parts list

Post by preludelinux »

i will be looking at doing a TA card build soon.

Looking for parts to start stocking up on, parts like most used components. ( Resistors , Capacitors, Diodes and IC's )
you know things that you may use 20+ of would be nice.i plan to order allot asap. ~ my local supply store is limited and expensive. ( very )

For resistors is 1% torrence is best but is 5% ok ?

I have the schematics for both DFH and Ravage , and of course simis build thread ( keep the awesome information coming everyone.) i know most the IC's on ravage are smd's having the list of comparable through hole components to those would be helpful. Im willing to build many different circuits if it helps testing

Recommended and or tested components a plus!

Would making a sub forum in the hardware section for TA builds / TA hardware be a good idea, i plan to take tons of pictures and document everything , also will test out anything thats needed along the way. i would not mind this being copied into there either. ~

This is just some basic info more full detail will be in my build thread.
  • 1987 325 bmw
  • bmw m52b28 - from an e36
  • e36 oem wiring harness ~ have 3x e36 ecu connectors harvested ~ spliced into e30 harness fusebox side
  • 6x cop coils ( They need ignitors or an ignition circuit to fire.)
  • 6x high imp injectors ( Might need to double check. ) I also have 6x volvo t6 injectors.
  • 60-2 hall sensor crank wheel ( motor has also a front 60-2 wheel bmw has removed in newer versions )
  • Cam signal not supported (yet! )
  • 3 - wire IAC
  • Temp
  • TPS
  • Heated MAF ( i have still but plan to use MAP but can use for testing at a later time.)
  • MAP sensor ( need to find one or take the one from the ms2 ... )
  • Emission stuff was removed!
  • Could hook up 2x narrorband o2 sensors for testing , each would measure 3 cyl on each side of the 6 )
  • 14point7 wideband kit. ~
  • 2x knock sensors are also present. ( Willing to test these out too! )
Honestly if i end up with a running car anyone can build this.~
Last edited by preludelinux on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: TA parts list

Post by jharvey »

Some parts to consider in general include, .1uF caps and 1k resistors, 2n222 transistors, also 7805's or equiv LDO's. With those parts, you can technically build about any electrical circuit. If you have enough parts that is.

Specific things I'd recommend include the VNP28N04, or (if you're not scared of SMT) the VNS14NV04. I believe Fred would suggest the VNP20N07.

A hand full of 1/8 watt metal film resistors in these values 470R, 1K, 2.7k, 5k, 10k, 100k
A hand full of these Newark,58K2517 (note they are 12V compatible LED's and have internal resistors)
A hand full of these Newark,39K8137 (100nF 50V ceramic cap)
A hand full of general purpose shottky diodes. The diodes are still in debate and I don't think we really have good selections for those yet. I don't think are technically required, but they are handy for protection against things like reverse voltage or shorting a pin to gnd, ect.

DFH has a .csv bom, that's mostly accurate and includes vendor numbers.
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

Thanks for such a fast reply!
I added most the parts from the DFH BOM

So those resistor values that are common im going order 30-100 each depending on price. ( Also can they be 1/4watt ? )
the VNP20N07 comes with an added 20$ handling charge how many will be needed? Following ravage the smd version is used allot.
(13+ .. ) For now im staying away from smd/smt's but thats something else to learn with everything else one day. ~ I will start with breakout boards and slowly work my way up. Curious is there a breakout board or socket for the main processor? That would be interesting I've been looking just have not found one. Is it possible to make something like this on a small board? It might lead to something cheaper then the ta card in the future and might interest others that want the processor.

Now i remember how much i hated finding electronic components online. The BOM was supper helpful ty...
shottky diodes - have the newark numbers for some generic ones ~

Any extras that may help with testing? i'm trying to get enough to build many small boards and circuits, reviving my old hobby too.
i will wait before finalizing my order. i dont want to leave important stuff out. So far just ordering from newark ~
Last edited by preludelinux on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Cool on the Newark order. You might want to check multi vendors. I find a mix of digikey and newark is usually cost effective in low qty.

Yup 1/4 watt's are fine. There are other Omnifets, anything over 5 amps will be fine, I typically suggest the large ones, for a lower Rds resistance heating.

Currently there is only support for a total of 6 channels of fuel or spark. There are some 3 or 4 misc other outputs for things like fuel pump, ect. So I'd say around 5 to 10 of the Omnifet's.
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

so i take it i will have to run 3x fuel outputs and 3x spark outputs for wasted right witch i dont mind ?

i will need to wire everything as 6x spark and 6x fuel on the ecu connector side for the wiring harness ~ this may be interesting

getting tired ~ i did find a company selling VNP20N07-E for $1.67 each with free ground shipping ~
Fred

Post by Fred »

preludelinux wrote:resistors 1% torrence ( right or is 5% ok? )
5% is OK for most stuff, but MF 1% are better in every way and cheap enough to not care.
Would making a sub forum in the hardware section for TA builds / TA hardware be a good idea
It's something that I've been considering for a while. I guess you know the answer if you're reading this :-)
i plan to take tons of pictures and document everything , also will test out anything thats needed along the way. i would not mind this being copied into there either ~
Cool! I look forward to it, EVERYONE loves lots of pics :-)
6x cop coils
Type?
6x high imp injectors ( might need to double check ) also have 6x volvo t6 injectors
This is important. If they are high Z, then it's one FET each. If they are low Z then it's one jbperf.com injector driver board kit (58usd each) per set of 4 or part thereof. IE, you'd need two of those kits.
60-2 hall sensor crank wheel ( motor has also a front 60-2 wheel bmw has removed in newer versions )
You'll only use one of them (either is fine) and you'll need a VR conditioner for that. You have a choice between an LM1815 and a jbperf dual VR max99xx based board. The latter is much better, but a bit pricey, the former is diyable (jbperf board is smd and preassembled for diy use).
cam signal not supported (yet! )
Second channel of the jbperf board could handle this.
3 - wire iac
Two FETs and some logic circuits just like ravage.
heated maf ( i have still but plan to use map but can use for testing )
Sure, if you want to test, but plan on waiting for a while, or doing MAP first.
map sensor ( need to find one or take the one from the ms2 ... )
See simis' threads in user rides for advice on this.
could hook up 2x narrorband o2 sensors for testing , each would measure 3 cyl on each side of the 6 )
If you want, 8 spare ADC pins for GP logging and inputs such as that.
14point7 wideband kit ~
Which?
2x knock sensors are also present ( willing to test these out too )
You'll need to construct a circuit for this with specific ICs etc. Save this for a later more advance stage.
honestly if i end up with a running car anyone can build this~
You can and will, if you put in the time and effort and listen to advice from the right people. And yes, anyone can :-)

Re resistors, you'll need 2.4k, 1k, 470ohm, 100k, and perhaps others. You may need 100 ohm depending on your coil/ignition.
Re caps, what Jared said :-) 0.1uF ceramic, 0.22uF ceramic, 10uF tantalum should cover it. You'll only need 2 of the tants, they're pricey.
Re regs, use LM2937 or LM2940, just one is enough, you need to heatsink this and all of the FETs too. A strip of alloy is enough.
I strongly recommend LEDs on all of your IO if the chips involves support it, even if you need to buffer it (like the output of the max chip for example).
What Jared said about the schottky situation is correct. Preliminary results from simis indicate that it's fine to use what he got.
jharvey wrote:Specific things I'd recommend include the VNP28N04, or (if you're not scared of SMT) the VNS14NV04. I believe Fred would suggest the VNP20N07.
As long as it starts with VNP and is 5amp or greater and 40V clamp or more, it's fine. I strongly recommend.... which ever one you can get cheaper :-) The 14n04 stuff is newer and better, and more expensive, usually. I'd get VNP10N07 if I had easy access to them cheaper than the others.

Prelude, sounds like you're getting screwed on the VNP situation, check other suppliers, 2usd each is about the norm, maybe less. You'll need 1+2+6+spares (fp relay + idle + injectors + spares).
preludelinux wrote:so i take it i will have to run 3x fuel outputs and 3x spark outputs for wasted right witch i dont mind?
Yes.
i will need to wire everything as 6x spark and 6x fuel on the ecu connector side for the wiring harness ~ this may be interesting
Bring all of the wires all the way back to the PCB. Use one fet or one ignition drive per injector or coil. One cpu pin will drive one line driver chip which will drive two output circuits.

Speaking of which, get at least 16 channels of line driver outputs. If you use a backwards ign setup you can swap 6 of those to XOR chips, waiting to see what you have for ign before advising further.
getting tired ~ i did find a company selling VNP20N07-E for $1.67 each with free ground shipping ~
exactly!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

Bring all of the wires all the way back to the PCB. Use one fet or one ignition drive per injector or coil. One cpu pin will drive one line driver chip which will drive two output circuits.
This sounds easy enough thank you. I did get an order of the VNP20N07 in last night and it shipped out today too!

My first time ever using forum code. i usually just write in plain text.
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

The 14point7 Wideband kit i got was SLC-OEM. I have it still in the box unassembled. I also have a jimstim thats assembled.

http://14point7.com/SLC-OEM.php
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cool, that should work pretty well.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

Digging through parts today i noticed i have a Zeal Engineering Daughterboard with Dual VR Conditioners could this be useful for the hall signal conditioning you spoke about?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/zeal ... p-378.html