J-series Acura/Honda

All home-built FreeEMS implementations without a forum of their own, usually TA-based.
Fred

Re: J-series Acura/Honda

Post by Fred »

The trouble is that you think a high resolution wheel on the cam shaft is "better" :-p Better is not having to physically modify the vehicle to run the engine. No trigger wheel is tangibly better than the 6-2 for injection purposes, really. We need to go crank with a custom decoder for your engine.

Re the tune and results: Great progress! :-)

Looking forward to a new log with a static tune and the static tune data to go with it pushed to a branch on your repo!

Loss of sync when burning flash is normal. The MSers call it "burn stumble" and we can probably eliminate it eventually, no big deal.

As for tuning being an art, no, not really, it's more of a science with EFI and logging etc. In the dark old days it was an art, reading plugs, jetting carbs, changing mass in dizzys, yuck.

BTW, your excel graph confused me re the fake limiters because it doesn't appear to handle uneven data spacing eloquently. MTX 3D does do that so you get a vertical wall in MTX.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Peter »

Fred wrote:Better is not having to physically modify the vehicle to run the engine.
So are you arguing that my car was better off before FreeEMS?

Revision 1.
My first board had turned into such a mess that I decided to make my improvements on a new board.
"Improvements": time keeping chip, secondary power supply with bigger heatsinks, x7r temperature rating on all capacitors, separate high current connector for the injectors, soon a microSD card reader, and a SLC OEM with updated firmware from Alan.
Mistakes: too much red wire, and a smaller board.
:-p
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

Nice looking board. looks nice and compact.
Peter

Post by Peter »

preludelinux wrote:Nice looking board. looks nice and compact.
Thanks.

I just got the new connectors wired up, and Megatunix shows about a tenth of a degree of noise. I didn't take a datalog, because I haven't moved up to the dev branch yet. The power supply heatsinks don't even get warm to the touch. I'm going to call it a success.

Tonight/Tomorrow:
1) Move up to the dev branch.
2) Make the correct tables with FreeTherm.
3) Verify the BRV with the new resistors.
4) Retune a little bit.
5) Send Fred a datalog
6) Bitch and moan for a decoder that will run my ignition. Or use my 36-1 trigger wheel, and bitch about it not revving very high.
Peter

Post by Peter »

So I updated my firmware to the dev branch, created the proper tables for my IAT and CHT sensors, and stuck it on my new board. It displays good values in MTX, but OLV is showing me all 0s on the datalog I took with CuteCom. I'm thinking the version of OLV I have is too old, so I tried to set Ubuntu up to build a new version of OLV. I've tried three times, and every time I try and install Maven it freezes the system. I haven't gotten the new WB O2 sensor controller yet, so it isn't in the datalog.
Attachments
JSeriesMay8thDevBranchECURev.zip
(420.4 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

Any freezing of the system on linux or win NT variants is down to kernel or driver issues. Maven is a strictly user space app and, especially, without gui components, can not freeze your system. If you're trying to use ubuntu to install it, don't bother, you must get it from their download page and "install" as per the simple instructions.

http://maven.apache.org/download.html

I got your message re building one for you, but you were offline, I had drama to deal with, and it was late. If you still want/need one today, I'll deploy one for you later.

OLV for FreeEMS use must be up to date at all times. For CSV use any version is OKish, though. If you look at the console that you launched OLV from, you'll see a bunch of info on WHY you got all zeros.

Fred.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Disclaimer: I've been up for about 16 hours, and I moved a refrigerated cooler full of beer in next to my desk so that I could stop shaking enough to solder small surface mount components to DIP adapter boards.

A clean thread is a sign of a wasted life, and not the good kind of wasted.

I suppose the previous goes for desks also.

Surface components are the devils work! I told a guy that the internet was the devils work in one of my classes, and I'm pretty sure he believed that I was serious, because he stopped talking to me after that. So I say that about most things bother me in the slightest now.
My ignition board is almost done though. :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

I know little about beer, but you need to replace the Coors with some Samual Adams or other decent yanky beer :-)

ROFL/cackle @ "I told a guy that the internet was the devils work in one of my classes, and I'm pretty sure he believed that I was serious, because he stopped talking to me after that."

You're an engine management manufacturing machine! Love it! <3

Fred.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Fred wrote:replace the Coors with some Samual Adams or other decent yanky beer
Good alcohol is for socializing. Good meaning more expensive.

Fred suggested that I should cut the teeth down to make this work better or possibly at all. Another fine product from our MS friends that needs modified right out of the box.

I'm pretty well done with the board for the time being I think. Assuming I did everything correctly. So now I need wire up the harness and finish mounting the VR sensor next to the trigger wheel.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Nice work! I'm shocked and surprised that they try to sell those like that! :-o

For anyone else doing this, don't take anymore off than that, or the voids may not be sufficient.

Looks like a solid improvement, that's for sure!