DFH - Defacto FreeEMS Hardware in KICAD

Jared's unmaintained and never-used TA based "Defacto FreeEMS Hardware" design.
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: freeEMS_1.0 rev A KICAD

Post by jbelanger »

jharvey wrote:
nitrousnrg wrote:The P&H driver is based on jperf's circuit.
I forget if that can handle a high and low impedance injector. Can it do both? I like the SMT, looks much more packed together and cleaner. I'm curious how you plan to assemble them, do you have a reflow oven?
Yes the circuit will handle both low and high impedance injectors but only one injector per driver in either case. And the LM1949 can only handle a 4:1 peak/hold ratio so that somewhat limits the low impedance injectors that it can drive correctly. But most low impedance injectors require a 4:1 ratio.

And I find it very annoying that people think they can use my design freely. Use the LM1949 data sheet and use the circuit shown there or use your own modifications. My design is not very different but it's still a design I developed for my own boards.

Jean
nitrousnrg

Post by nitrousnrg »

Hi,
just to make it clear, I said jperf's because I've read jperf's before. I'm still learning english, my lexical choices aren't quite flexible yet. I didn't see your schematics; to make my board I used the LM1949 datasheet.

btw, good work Jean.
Marcos
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

Marcos,

Thank you for clarifying it. And I'm glad to see that you did this the "right" way. I have unfortunately seen too many who simply didn't care and some who went as far as asking me for the schematics (since I've removed them from my site) and wouldn't even respond when asked why they wanted them.

In any case, the LM1949 is a good choice (with the limitations mentioned before) which simplifies the design. I also wish it were available in a surface mount package.

Jean
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Jean, sucks to hear that folks have been like that with your design. I typically recommend to design a system as high impedance, then use your board (not a copy of your board, but your board) for low impedance. That's how I've drawn it up in DFH and 5554. I typically recommend it this way because most applications are high impedance and I don't see a need to add the additional cost to the typical component population. Looking at nitrousnrg's draft, I can see how one could probably bypass the LM1949 making it a high impedance setup however, I believe he's not planning for that kind of flexibility, so I guess time will tell if it's required on that design or not. I certainly hope nitrousnrg simply picks what ever approach works best for that design, and goes with it.

Thanks for chiming in, your feed back is much appreciated and respected.
nitrousnrg

Post by nitrousnrg »

Yeh, I undersand you Jean. In my university, no one is in charge of teaching manners with respect to IP licenses. That leads the students to copy whatever they see, mostly without any kind of ask or reference to the real author (aka plagio). The other fail is that some mates uses open designs, makes a modification, and don't share the new design. That piss me off, I can't make them understand that its illegal.

And as you may induce, students become professionals. A guy in Argentina, copied the entire MS, and published it in a couple of important magazines "Its comming" "the first argentinian ECU" blah blah; then people figured out that it was just the well known MegaSquirt. That is a total lack of respect.

Regarding the P&H, make sure a normal user can set it up to work in your board. As I see the project, our main targets are not only the MS folks, but the Haltech, MoTeC or AEM users (this is high end system! :-)
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

OT:
nitrousnrg wrote:without any kind of ask or reference to the real author (aka plagio). The other fail is that some mates uses open designs, makes a modification, and don't share the new design. That piss me off, I can't make them understand that its illegal.
AKA Plagerism. use not uses. pisses not piss. As for open designs, it IS acceptable to take an open design and change it and use it and not share it at all. What is true of GPL stuff is that if you share the binary, s19 or whatever, then you must also share the source code you used to create it.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I have renamed this hardware set to DFH for Defacto FreeEMS Hardware. Fred can you rename this thread to "Defacto FreeEMS Hardware (DFH)" instead of "freeEMS_1.0 ref A KICAD"? Hmm, will a thread rename cause several people to have to look through 35 pages of thread to get it marked as unread?

While I'm at it, I'm happy that nitrousnrg has given me a reason to care about the naming convention. Here's a cross link to the PUMA FreeEMS hardware found at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=884
Fred

Post by Fred »

This is AWESOME news!!!!

:D :) :D :) :P 8-) :lol2: :D :) :D :)

You should just be able to edit the first post, change the subject and have the thread title change. If that isn't true, let me know and I'll adjust it for you.
Fred

Re: DFH - Defacto FreeEMS Hardware in KICAD

Post by Fred »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1233

Some of this is non-essential or too far off for this design, but other parts are not.

Fred.
Fred

Re: DFH - Defacto FreeEMS Hardware in KICAD

Post by Fred »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57&p=16474#p16474 - hardware pin use guide mostly in place! :-)