DFH - Defacto FreeEMS Hardware in KICAD

Jared's unmaintained and never-used TA based "Defacto FreeEMS Hardware" design.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: freeEMS_1.0 rev A KICAD

Post by jharvey »

AbeFM wrote:Do you still think I should drop the drain resistor?
Do you have a scope? I'd say the way to really confirm this is to try it with and with out the drain resistor. See if the wave is nicer one way or another. I would guess the difference will be negligible, but that's only a guess.

You mention it's PWM, these resistors will also change the rise and fall times of the transistor. I suspect your PWM is low enough frequency that this won't matter much. If you can choose a PWM you may want to try lower frequencies if possible.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I guess I should make a post here, it's been a while. Fred now has checked in the code he used in FL. Sense then, I've found a couple mild problems with the layout. I don't have time to fix these right now, but I'll list them so I remember to fix them when I get a chance. Or if someone else wants to fix them, have at it.

The diode foot print is about .120 wide, but the actual parts are often .140 wide. So a wider diode silk screen foot print is a good idea.

The silk screens use a thickness that is to fat for small text, changing those to a consistent .004 would be a good idea.

Also the version of KICAD I was using is old and I should update it to the newest version. There are many nice new features in KICAD now.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Guys on ms irc were talking about gEDA being good these days? Maybe kicad isn't the best choice anymore? Are the files compatible? I do not know, worth checking though :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I've used gEDA, and found it hard to use. Perhaps the user interface has gotten better, but the screen shots don't indicate a change there. Do they finally offer a windows version? No complaints if someone wants to try it, however it's hard to beat KICAD's usability. I haven't found anything that gEDA can do, that KICAD can't do.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yeah, you're probably right. At the same time I posted here, I suggested kicad there. He hadn't heard of it/seen it and thanked me for the info/liked it :-)
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

KiCAD is certainly upgraded. There's still a couple things which kill me about it, which they didn't fix, but it's better nonetheless.

I'd love it if resistors could be labeled as symmetric. Yes, I'm a pussy and let some auto-routing occur, but really people? :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just a thought, and I know we might be too short on space, but it might be worth looking at leaving space to mount one of these on the board as an optional extra :

http://www.14point7.com/Widebands/SLC_OEM/SLC%20OEM.htm

It might be possible to stand it up off the board such that various components could live underneath without impacting usable space much. It'd also make for quite a neat little solution without requiring us to TRY (bad idea) to incorporate that functionality into the actual ECU.

Just a thought.

Fred.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Sure seems like it would be reasonable to leave a space for it. I think it'd fit quite nicely where those injector and ignition drivers labeled "5" and "6" would be. :-P Physically, it's pretty small, that's for sure!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Looks fairly small, I think the only real space we need to leave is for those pin connectors to pass through to the board. I think this could sit sandwiched between the brain and the driver board. If we plan for the connector board, it could easily fit there.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Isn't there going to be a lot of empty space next to the CPU/brain card anyway? If it doesn't fit BETWEEN them, just have it coplanar with the CPU.

Seems like a really nice card, I wonder how well it works? Certainly seems more attractive than my 75 lb innovative board which always has errors. Then again, it's lasted for years on a single sensor and IS very fast.