Which MS2 firmware to use?

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
Fred

Which MS2 firmware to use?

Post by Fred »

Would like the following :

MegaTunix for tuning, will not use TunerStudio, full stop, and MegaTune sucks!
Wasted Spark ignition.
Sequential or Semi-Sequential fueling.

The car is boosted, small capacity, large injectors, but not high boost, just high RPM, hence wasted spark is good enough, but sequential desirable.

I'm hoping to get comments from Jean and Dave on this!

ms2extra 3.0.3.xyz?
ms2extra 2.1.xzy?

or something else?

Tell me why!

How stable is mtx with those firmware variants?
How stable are those firmware variants?

I know Jean touched the 3.0.x.x series so I have a little more faith in it than usual :-)

I'll be applying various fixes to the hardware/loom and may do a thread on how to have a ms install that doesn't suck.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Which MS2 firmware to use?

Post by jbelanger »

If you want sequential or semi-sequential, you don't have a choice but to go with 3.0.3. I would recommend using 3.0.3x but the only tuning software that fully supports it (or even at all) is TS. And Dave will have to confirm if sequential is supported on the previous versions.

Jean

EDIT: That's the first post I've made since you removed the (useless and time wasting) posting confirmation window and I was surprised and I like it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jbelanger wrote:If you want sequential or semi-sequential, you don't have a choice but to go with 3.0.3.
Hmmm, I thought 2.X used to support semi sequential. Not with controlled angle, but with consistent timing and two shots per cycle. Am I wrong? If so, I wonder how I got that impression. Ken comes to mind, talking about some people having inconsistent running from one start to the next and then fixing it by making it start the injection cycle from the same sync point or something like that. Am I making any sense?
I would recommend using 3.0.3x but the only tuning software that fully supports it (or even at all) is TS. And Dave will have to confirm if sequential is supported on the previous versions.
https://github.com/djandruczyk/MegaTunix/commits/master
Shows v and w, but not x. Just chatting to Dave now, perhaps it will be supported soon.

What is the difference between v/w and x?
EDIT: That's the first post I've made since you removed the (useless and time wasting) posting confirmation window and I was surprised and I like it.
Hmmmm, it has been gone for a LONG time, though, it was back in the middle when I did an upgrade and took a few weeks to redo the small patches. I'd say it's been gone for most of the time the site's been up! :-) You must have just forgotten or, more likely, got too used to posting on the forums where your sig can't even include a link to your producst ;-)

Thanks for your time!!! :-)

Fred.
dandruczyk
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by dandruczyk »

MegaTunix (git) supports 303x, all features, all controls with the current exception of the MAF table Calibrator (table downloader for the MAF table only) which is a new tidbit in 303x, thought since I'm now free from working 9-5, I'll have more time tot work on it... :)

-- David
Last edited by dandruczyk on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

Fred wrote:
jbelanger wrote:If you want sequential or semi-sequential, you don't have a choice but to go with 3.0.3.
Hmmm, I thought 2.X used to support semi sequential. Not with controlled angle, but with consistent timing and two shots per cycle. Am I wrong? If so, I wonder how I got that impression. Ken comes to mind, talking about some people having inconsistent running from one start to the next and then fixing it by making it start the injection cycle from the same sync point or something like that. Am I making any sense?
You're correct. I tend to forget/ignore this because I've never even tried it and from the quick look I had at the code, it doesn't use a timing more precise than 0.1ms. Also as you mention, it doesn't use an angle as input. But it should be better than a random or uncontrolled timing.
Fred wrote:
I would recommend using 3.0.3x but the only tuning software that fully supports it (or even at all) is TS. And Dave will have to confirm if sequential is supported on the previous versions.
https://github.com/djandruczyk/MegaTunix/commits/master
Shows v and w, but not x. Just chatting to Dave now, perhaps it will be supported soon.

What is the difference between v/w and x?
It's mainly bugs fixes but also it uses a new compiler with a better divide algorithm which speeds up the main loop significantly: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=38028
Fred wrote:
Hmmmm, it has been gone for a LONG time, though, it was back in the middle when I did an upgrade and took a few weeks to redo the small patches. I'd say it's been gone for most of the time the site's been up! :-) You must have just forgotten or, more likely, got too used to posting on the forums where your sig can't even include a link to your producst ;-)

Thanks for your time!!! :-)

Fred.
You're probably right that I'm too used to the other forums (mine included). I noticed you mentioned that this feature was now there and it did surprise me when I posted. And I no longer post on the forums which censor me.

Jean
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

mtx_man wrote:MegaTunix (git) supports 303x, all features, all controls with the current exception of the MAF table Calibrator (tabledownloader for the MAF table) which is a new tidbit in 303x, thought since I'm now free from working 9-5, I'll have more time tot work on it... :)

-- David
Does it also support setting CAN parameters for remote devices (not the remote device but the MS2/Extra local parameters)? Have you tried the I/O Extender and do you have any plans on supporting it? However, I must warn you that this one is another project where the API will get "broken" on a regular basis with firmware updates.

Jean
dandruczyk
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by dandruczyk »

jbelanger wrote:
mtx_man wrote:MegaTunix (git) supports 303x, all features, all controls with the current exception of the MAF table Calibrator (tabledownloader for the MAF table) which is a new tidbit in 303x, thought since I'm now free from working 9-5, I'll have more time tot work on it... :)

-- David
Does it also support setting CAN parameters for remote devices (not the remote device but the MS2/Extra local parameters)? Have you tried the I/O Extender and do you have any plans on supporting it? However, I must warn you that this one is another project where the API will get "broken" on a regular basis with firmware updates.

Jean
It supports ALL controls in the ms2-exta .ini distributed with the 303x firmware. Mtx doe NOT YET support the loading of additional hardware (remote can) devices after the initial device detection in its current state. I'm working on a behavioral change in MTX to allow people to selectively SKIP certain parts of the UI, i.e. not load tabs they don't want or need, which speeds up mtx by not needing to init and manage those controls that are never touched, and will give the ability to add and remove tabs (and the data they manage) on the fly, which will allow by its nature the ability to add/interrogate subdevices on the CAN bus. I prefer that the api of device I support to be more stable, or at least "linearily changing" i.e. If it evolves by adding new stuff onto the end, instead of shifting stuff around its far easier to support, as I can support a stable subset as it evolves. It was hard wiht ms2-e 2.x to 3.x as james shifted and moved stuff around (scrambled) the innards which maed it more difficult to understand and follow. But thats more of a mtx limitation that you don't need to cater to, doing so helps me, but may hinder your design.

-- David
jbelanger

Post by jbelanger »

mtx_man wrote:It supports ALL controls in the ms2-exta .ini distributed with the 303x firmware. Mtx doe NOT YET support the loading of additional hardware (remote can) devices after the initial device detection in its current state. I'm working on a behavioral change in MTX to allow people to selectively SKIP certain parts of the UI, i.e. not load tabs they don't want or need, which speeds up mtx by not needing to init and manage those controls that are never touched, and will give the ability to add and remove tabs (and the data they manage) on the fly, which will allow by its nature the ability to add/interrogate subdevices on the CAN bus. I prefer that the api of device I support to be more stable, or at least "linearily changing" i.e. If it evolves by adding new stuff onto the end, instead of shifting stuff around its far easier to support, as I can support a stable subset as it evolves. It was hard wiht ms2-e 2.x to 3.x as james shifted and moved stuff around (scrambled) the innards which maed it more difficult to understand and follow. But thats more of a mtx limitation that you don't need to cater to, doing so helps me, but may hinder your design.

-- David
That sounds good. I look forward to seeing how it works.

And I don't see a problem with adding new stuff at the end because this is very likely to be what will happen in the foreseeable future. If/when the flash block currently used gets filled then there may be a need to move things around but that would be the last choice.

Jean
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the link to the msextra thread. I'm not sure if you've seen this, but http://tools.diyefi.org is up and being actively maintained. We'll have to merge that compiler improvement into our versions and then get it all upstreamed.

The forum change is a tiny fix, really :-)

I'll dig you up the diff on the latest version virgin files, its a one liner in one file. Same goes for the links in a new tab fix. I only have one other small fix, I forget what that is. I try to keep it virgin for security and simplicity of upgrades.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Code: Select all

fred@raptor:/var/www/apps$ diff phpBB-3.0.7-PL1/posting.php ../diyefi.org/forum/root/posting.php 
1124c1124
<                 meta_refresh(3, $redirect_url);
---
>                 redirect($redirect_url);

Code: Select all

fred@raptor:/var/www/apps$ diff phpBB-3.0.7-PL1/viewtopic.php ../diyefi.org/forum/root/viewtopic.php 
1363a1364
>     $message = preg_replace('/(class="postlink")/','class="postlink" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"',$message);
Enjoy :-)