ms3

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: ms3

Post by jbelanger »

EssEss wrote:
And by the way, one way to get your code stable and usable is by making it public so that others can contribute. Aren't you asking for what you don't think is good in your case?
without a doubt!
So do you think this will change in the (near) future? I would be interested in seeing what you have done to broaden my experience of ECU coding. Learning is never boring.

Jean
Fred

Post by Fred »

EssEss wrote:my only insight into the ms world is through their forum .. I can't think of a time where I saw anyone critical of code or hw, only praise.
This is an accurate observation. The MS people have publicly stated and privately stated many times that fundamental criticism is unacceptable. The reason given is that peoples livelihoods depend on this and anything negative could reduce sales and cost jobs/food/family/business etc. This is not to say that criticism of specific stuff is unwelcome, but you had better formulate your wording well or you'll be banned quicker than you can say "whadidido?".

I believe there is monitor code being developed that will interact with the firmware and be locked such that you can't use the firmware on a clone. I'm unsure how they are going to go about that AND have pseudo open code, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes the first rip off artist to crack it.

And yes, I would also like to have a solid read of your code sometime, EssEss! :-) I've seen some of it in person and it makes me look like the amateur that I am :-)

Also, +1 for "ms is a success largely because of mx extra variants".

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by jbelanger »

Fred wrote:
EssEss wrote:my only insight into the ms world is through their forum .. I can't think of a time where I saw anyone critical of code or hw, only praise.
This is an accurate observation. The MS people have publicly stated and privately stated many times that fundamental criticism is unacceptable. The reason given is that peoples livelihoods depend on this and anything negative could reduce sales and cost jobs/food/family/business etc. This is not to say that criticism of specific stuff is unwelcome, but you had better formulate your wording well or you'll be banned quicker than you can say "whadidido?".
Actually, this is true of all the MS forums besides the msextra forum. I am not aware of anyone having been banned from the msextra forum. However, the main MS2/Extra developers (James, Ken and myself (if I can call myself a main developer)) have been banned from the msefi forum in addition to a lot of other people. This policy is basically the responsibility of a single person. And this person doesn't have any moderation rights on the msextra forum.

So you will have a more honest feedback on the msextra forum and the moderation is moderate (pun intended) as it should be. Of course MS-bashing won't be allow but honest criticism is left there and simply answered (or not). You really have to be abusive or an obvious troll to get a post removed. And of course, references to unauthorized MS copies are not allowed. At least, that's my experience but I don't see everything.

Jean
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fair call, Jean. For everyone that doesn't know, that individuals name is Lance AKA ForumAdminTeam. Nice pun too :-)
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by EssEss »

Also, +1 for "ms is a success largely because of mx extra variants".
it's the only reason I looked into it - I desired spark control in a single box w/fuel. otherwise, I would have started my ecu much sooner.
So do you think this will change in the (near) future? I would be interested in seeing what you have done to broaden my experience of ECU coding.
Because of what I do at work and I'm using 'their toolset' to work on it, I need to clear it. From way up at the top, my company has expressed 0 desire to enter the ecu business - but based on past experience (even in other companies), once they have something on the plate in front of them they can't resist at least trying to sell it. Most of our innovations come from the bottom up. None of it is model based nor single threaded, I use an RTOS (FreeRTOS.org) and try to work on it whenever I can fit it in. It's moved through a few platforms (lpc2366->lpc1766->mpc5534) I'm finally content w/the 55xx platform. Since no port exists for the 55xx, I borrowed heavily from the ppc405 port. It's still only on a devboard, but I have some other boards I've stiched in (I showed some photos in another thread somewhere). I constantly mull over my design decisions, so it does move slowly at times. I only plan on doing this once, there are so many other things I wish to accomplish :D

I have been cleared for doing code in Fred's project :), althought I didn't expect any problems with that. I really like what I do and I'm very open/transparent about everything I do automotive related outside of work - they've been really good to me. They've even recently loaned me a bike dyno to take home - I don't think my neighbours are going to be very happy this summer.
Learning is never boring.
+10
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

jbelanger wrote:I am not aware of anyone having been banned from the msextra forum.
I believe I was banned, but not by the MSExtra folks. I couldn't get through to any MS sites. It's been so long that I don't recall if I posted to the MSExtra forums, I seem to recall that I did, but eh, I forget. A search for my user name produced no results.

It also appears that bit rot is working in my favor, I can now access the site again, oddly enough, I still don't care.

EDIT, NSFW: Also I just saw http://megasquirt.com, and I liked the content ;)
Last edited by Fred on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding NSFW label on link.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:Also I just saw http://megasquirt.com, and I liked the content ;)
NSFW!! But LOL :-)
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

Whoops!! Clicked on the link before scrolling down to Fred's NSFW comment... :shock:

I think one great thing about MS is we can see how well a DIY system can get out in the market place and we can learn from things we believe they did wrong.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I added a NSFW next to the link too now.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Sorry about the NSFW tag. I should have done that to begin with.