How to repair the MS-II Microcontroller

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
calkai
TO220 - Visibile

How to repair the MS-II Microcontroller

Post by calkai »

My MS-II Mircrocontroller (marked MC9S12C64CFAE) is very very hot and have burning smell when power is turned on.
Can I just buy a same Chip, replace,and then use the downloader to install the firmware?
or there is any specific tool I need for repairing?

Thanks for your help in advance.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: How to repair the MS-II Microcontroller

Post by jharvey »

My first thought would be that you must have something shorted out. You should see if you can find the short or you'll likely burn up another chip.

I'm not all that familiar with the MSII, I believe you can replace the chip and re-burn the firmware. However I have no idea how to get the initial firmware installed. May require a separate programmer, or it may have an ICP (In Circuit Programmer).

Good luck.
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by jbelanger »

You need a BDM programmer and need to install the serial monitor. This has been asked (and answered) before on the msefi and msextra forums. They even provided the serial monitor code on a recent post on msextra.

The main issue is why is your CPU getting hot. Did you put 12V on Vref? That would be one way to burn the chip. Make sure that everything is fine with the main board before replacing the CPU since this is not a trivial task for most people.

By the way, the best place to ask these types of questions is on the msextra forum.

Jean
calkai
TO220 - Visibile

Post by calkai »

Thanks for your help.
Exactly, I had sort our my short problem: Stepper motor driver IC Power jumper wire broken and touch the VCC.
I will follow your direction.
The reason why I am interested in discussing here is that "you guys are here".

Thanks again.