Strange O2 guage behaviour in Megatune Help

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Strange O2 guage behaviour in Megatune Help

Post by davebmw »

OK I have been out for the last 3 hours tuning my MS2V3.00 I have got it very drivable, it just stumbles a little on high Kpa and low Rpm. I have the timing set a little on the safe side and the VE table a little on the rich side.
When I have the AFR gauge at its default on the virtual dashboard it only seems to indicate 3 values 12.1 , 14.6 and 16.9.

I have checked that my make and type of WB O2 controller is selected it is a Techedge Linear 0 to 5V 9 to 19 AFR in the configurator file, the setting in th MSQ is single wideband.
The really weird thing is when i change the gauge to EGO V it works as it should indicating 0 to 5 V and the readings correspond directly to the AFR gauge 14.7 = 2.50V.
It seems to be acting almost as if it has a narrow band sensor attached.

Take a look at the attached MSQ and logfiles are of a 3 mile trip from a quiet industrial estate, and yes it stalled outside the house while I was parking!
datalog200809071423.xls
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 935 times
Copy of megasquirt200809071525.zip
(7.25 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
The basic stats of the setup are BMW 24Valve 6Cyl
Vanos (deactivated for the moment),
PWM idle speed control (set very low to not affect the driveable tune),
techedge wideband controller (see my signature for the model),
running MS2V3.00 with MSE 2.0.1 code,
6 x COP WS.
No acc enrichments set as yet.
Set really rich at the top end of the map (we fear da pink!)
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Re: Strange O2 guage behaviour in Megatune Help

Post by Fred »

Certainly seems like you haven't calibrated the sensor.

I can't help you with the UI side of it, but I can tell you that you could use hcs12mem to take a dump of the data on board and cross ref with the memory map to see what the O2 table looks like in flash. I bet you it's still setup as a NB sensor or something.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

OK I followed the calibration instructions that came with the kit which pretty much said calibrate as close to sea level as you can, so i did it in work which is about 20 foot above sea level.

It does behave in the same manner as a NB for sure. can you explain what you mean by using hcs12mem to do a dump? that could sound quite disgusting to the uninitiated!
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

I have checked that my make and type of WB O2 controller is selected it is a Techedge Linear 0 to 5V 9 to 19 AFR in the configurator file, the setting in th MSQ is single wideband.
The really weird thing is when i change the gauge to EGO V it works as it should indicating 0 to 5 V and the readings correspond directly to the AFR gauge 14.7 = 2.50V.
It seems to be acting almost as if it has a narrow band sensor attached.
Perhaps it should be noted, that in Hi-Fi terms, the Techedge products have not yet achieved standard set by Amstrad.

For a budget application suggest you use the JAW from Alan, however you will need to use the correct Bosch wideband sensor, with the calibration chip.

Innovate is also junk as most tuners whom do it to earn their living have found out....
Fred

Post by Fred »

Dave, I didn't mean calibrate the sensor with the controller, I meant "calibrate" (misuse of word by ms ppl) the sensor with respect the ms. What that actually means is upload the table of lookup values to the flash to match the sensor. Did you do that?

Fred.
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

OK I understand that there may well be some manufacturers of wideband controllers out there that are considered the mutts fuzzy bits. When you actually look at it the critical part is the probe the controller is just a glorified op amp well its actually a DSP and Microcontroller in the case of the one I have.

As I posted earlier the sensor and controller are doing what they should its when the signal gets into the megatune software where things go tit's up.
the EgoVGauge indicates the correct voltage as measured at the ADC pin of the MS2 for some reason the AFR value is subjected to some manipulation and the displayed values on the AFR Gauge and the AFR bar behaves as a NB signal. it also behaves exactly the same on the stim.

So as Fred said earlier it sounds like it has not been configured properly in software by the dopey bloody owner, (me).

and just as I write this I think I have found that I have not setup the AFR table for my wideband controller using the tools, calibrate AFR tables.
I unwittingly used the configurator which apparently does nothing in MS2. Ho hum live and learn eh?

And Fred has just confirmed my dumbass status, thanks Fred ;)

I will test this on the way home from work tomorrow and see if I can do a proper datalog.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Don't feel bad, it's a very common mistake, hence I was fairly sure it was that. Defaulting to narrow band though seems a bit GAY to me. Good thing there won't even be narrow band support in FreeEMS ey ;-)

(well, not at first anyway)

Actually, calling it "calibrate AFR table" when they actually mean calibrate AFR to ADC O2 sensor lookup is fairly misleading in itself.