Wideband Sensor Life Discussion

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
fuzzysig
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Wideband Sensor Life Discussion

Post by fuzzysig »

but lean afr will cause egt to climb up to a certain point...
and when car is running rich theres a lot of unburned fuel and is much colder than a very lean exhaust gas.

does it help to have the sensor out of the exhaust flow with the extended bung?

how long is enough to get the sensor clear of the exhaust flow?
and will the extended bung help protect the sensor from contaminants like oil in the exhaust?
or it doesn't make a difference?
I always thought that moving the tip out of the exhaust flow will affect readings since theres a lot less flow past the sensor element and turbulence around the hole area
HelmutVonAutobahn
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by HelmutVonAutobahn »

The temperature changes caused by AFR variation are well within the control range of a proper sensor heater control loop.

Using the heat-sink/bung extender, especially the Innovate HBX-1 helps to average out the exhaust gas temperature, by the time it hits the sensor. The gas will tend to take on the temperature of the heat-sink bung, as it travels through the small passages in the bung.

The aerodynamics of the HBX-1 keeps the gas velocity up, at the sensor, when installed correctly.

It may help, a bit, with particulate contamination.

But, given the history of your installation, I would NOT use another Innovate controller, there. Even with the HBX-1 heat-sink.
fuzzysig
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by fuzzysig »

well didn't take long to find a perfect heatsink for the wideband. lucky I have a lot of leftovers from upgrading stock coolers on my computer builds.

a graphics card heatsink with a drilled exact diameter hole is perfect for the job