Ohhh, ok i get it now....( im a few years late to the party)

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Ohhh, ok i get it now....( im a few years late to the pa

Post by DeuceEFI »

joey120373,

Like Fred mentioned, the JAGuar PCB doesn't have a connector, it was designed to fit inside a factory ECU enclosure (as some have done) or use the enclosure specified in the BOM. I use flying leads to connect to various connectors (DB37 and TE Connectivity/AMP Seal 35 pin). As you can see I am still in the "alpha" stage of the JAGuar PCB's design.

You could replace the vertical axial resistors with SMD 0805 resistors to improve vibration resistance or pot the vertical through hole resistors with hot glue or silicone.
None of my JAGuar PCBs have potting and some have logged thousands of testing miles in the S10, not to mention hundreds of hours on the Deuce. I know the JAGuar PCB isn't ideal, but I was trying to keep the size small and increase the number of features so it would appeal to a larger group. The JAGuar PCB design is an evolving open source project, I make changes as issues or requests come in from the FreeEMS community. If you see something you would like changed or added, let me know and I'll update the design if it is appropriate, keeping in mind it was designed to be a through hole design to allow the causal builder at home to build it.

I do have other ECU modules at http://www.coolefi.com that aren't open source, but they are based on the JAGuar PCB schematics.
These non-open source ECU modules do have all SMD components instead of through hole components for reliability and to save on PCB space. These modules also include connectors that are rated for the output current, some are automotive wash-down rated and some are not. I also make custom PCBs, so if you don't see something like what you are needing for your ECU project I can design one to your needs and add it to the products on the CoolEFI site.

I also have microcontroller modules similar to the ones that Technological Arts offers if you would like to make a modular ECU project.
joey120373
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by joey120373 »

Andy, thanks for the response.
I understand the reasoning behind the JAGuar PCB design. Hope you didn't take offense to my comment. tomb-stoning resistors is a great way to make a compact board while making it easy for beginners to solder. But like you said, a little hot glue is a good idea if it will be installed in a noisy environment. I ordered a bare board from your site, eagerly awaiting mailman.

I notice that your CoolEFI PCM has what looks like the exact same connector that my KTM motorcycle uses.

For my old ford truck project, i may need to spin my own injector driver board, the TBI unit i have has 4 injectors that measure ~2.3 ohms. So i will need a fairly robust peak hold driver circuit i think.

joe
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have one of these in my hotel and it works fine, maybe cheaper time/money wise to just buy one: http://jbperf.com/p&h_board/v2_0_1.html
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Joe,

No offense taken. :)
I just wanted to make sure anyone who found this thread had the correct information about the JAGuar PCB.

I am actually working on a four channel peak and hold board to be used with any of the CoolEFI 80mm x 100mm ECUs or used as a stand alone add-on board.
I've had a few requests lately from local guys for an aftermarket solution that would work with their GM TBI injectors, not to mention I have a 1990 GM 4.3L v6 in my 1950 GMC shop truck that needs to be converted back to EFI and I have the factory GM TBI and intake to put back on the engine.

I'm always working on a new product of one kind or another for CoolEFI 8-)

Cheers,