1-2-Spark and 1-2-Squirt...

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
Fred

Re: 1-2-Spark and 1-2-Squirt...

Post by Fred »

LPGo wrote:and looking at your comment your even jealous :D
I don't think so, sunshine.
LPGo wrote:See Fred, now tell me why do I need to give my code here?????
You don't, but you'll get no respect or interest without it. Others have articulated this in other ways by now. Carry on as you like. Non-free is an appropriate place for your thread for now.
LPGo wrote:about this windows ide I programm in is for free, as free as it can be (wasn't that one of your anchor-points of this whole site)?????
Your understanding of the English word "free" is sorely lacking. Let me help you with these concepts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre
LPGo wrote:Now, Fred please tell me what did you do in the last 6 years, you are still struggeling to get a engine run....
You're clearly confused. I was daily driving FreeEMS until a few months ago. I tracked a 400hp turbocharged custom built flat bed truck a few days ago. I've bee involved personally in 8 or more running engines, 4 of which were mine, and driven simis' FreeEMS powered car as icing on the cake. 34 is the number of Engines that have currently run on FreeEMS, and, unlike your userbase, these are all completely different engines (2, 4, 5, 6, 8 cylinders so far) all around the world. So no, not struggling to get an engine to run, can run near anything I want to, any time.

You'd do well to listen more and talk less. But do as you please :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Sorry Fred then this forum is confusing me, looking at the topic there are only about 8 cars listed as a daily driver.....

Other than that Fred or someone else, please tell me what is a good choise to make good windows software, as you can see I can need it...

Another thing is the licence, please give me more information about licencing my stuff..... if that is possible (I thought this wasn't possible)..

And yes Fred the topic is at the right place right now.... and some people are already in discussion, so I'm happy already....

and On we go.......

This morning I had my first testcase... Temperatur just below the freezing point (tempsensor is a little off because I haven't calibrate the sensor yet).. (so despirate to test the system)...

I made a video of it, but I will explain a little...

First attempt I tried to start it, it fails, there needs to be more fuel injected to get the engine started. As you can see I adjust the coolanttemp-adjustment from 80% to 130% eh voila the engine starts, when it runs I can back the fuel of to 80% again and it keeps on running (well sort of) don't have a iddle valve or anything (yet)...

So I need to make a crank-enrichment (when cranking the engine it needs more fuel when it is cold) and maybee a after-start-enrichment (however I dont use this right now in Megascuirt)..

Well heres that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-u-TdwblY

The next video shows driving to my work on 1-2-squirt, yes this is my daily-driver, so from now on I will drive on 1-2-Squirt (and 1-2-Spark ofcourse)..
And I must say I have already more topspeed then I had with Megasquirt, (probably do to I did bad job tuning Megasquirt) :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKoSmcO9fU

Now the issues I have....

First I'm squirting on Ignition-drivers (because I had no injection-drivers) but I disperat wanted to test... So I badly need injectiondrivers. Now sometimes my injectors make a strange noise (I hope it is due to this)...

Also as I said before when I put my pinkers on or horn, the fuel-supply falls down, partly because I have no real voltage sensor in it, but most because I'm talking the current from there..

So I'm going to make a direct + line from the battery and see if this solves the problem (for now)..

Then ofcourse the cold cranking issue..

and as last I need acceleration enrichment...

Other then that I'm very satisfied (as you can see in the video overtaking a Mercedes :lol: :lol: :lol: )

So the next few days I want to programm crank-enrichment...

Geo..
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ivan141 »

A voltage correction is something you will need regardless of how you connect the injectors, otherwise you will get different fueling
for different states of battery charge.. not good.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Fred

Post by Fred »

LPGo wrote:Sorry Fred then this forum is confusing me, looking at the topic there are only about 8 cars listed as a daily driver.....
It's pretty difficult to daily drive lawnmowers and race cars ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Today I got a simple crank-enrichment-factor going..

For now it is very simple:
Goes like this....

If the rpm is lower then the crank-rpm (in my case 400rpm) it is going to compare.

If coolanttemp is lower then 20 (deg.Celcius) give 5% of extra enrichment (on top of the naked pulsewidth)
If coolanttemp is lower then 15 (deg.Celcius) give 10% of extra enrichment (on top of the naked pulsewidth)
If coolanttemp is lower then 10 (deg.Celcius) give 15% of extra enrichment (on top of the naked pulsewidth)
and so on..
I've made also a led going on if the chip is in cranking enrichment

So it seems to work.So tommorow morning I hope I can start the engine without adjusting the coolanttempfactor..

However still in doubt, if I take the cranking enrichment over the bare pulsewidht (from the VE table) or pulswidth + coolantfactor + IAtfactor... Well we will see what works out best...

If this works (It will I know for sure) I will make it calculate liniear between two points.. and after that I'm going to write a nice
piece of software :P :P , so that I can adjust it by laptop...

It is going to look like this...
coolant.jpg
p.s. the temperature says 999 when no sensor is connected. The correction-factor will be 100% so no correction at all...

to be continued..
ivan141

Post by ivan141 »

Also dont forget what the drop in voltage due to cranking will do to your startup fueling (will lean it out a bit).
You will most likely have to resort to overcompensating with the startup enrichtment as
long as you dont have a voltage correction table in use.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

ivan141 wrote:Also dont forget what the drop in voltage due to cranking will do to your startup fueling (will lean it out a bit).
You will most likely have to resort to overcompensating with the startup enrichtment as
long as you dont have a voltage correction table in use.
Yes I think this is exactly what I'm doing right now.. This morning I needed to tune the warmup enrichment a little, but then the car started with the programmed (fixed) cranking-enrichment and kept on running, so I'm very happy..

You must know I just took a 1-2-Spark ignition PCB, called it a injection PCB (just to test my code) and that's it is right now.

It runs like a dream (I'm a little subjectieve here sorry :oops: :oops: ) with good ARF numbers and a stable fuelsupply... and very good performance (it feels better then with Megasquirt). So for a first attempt making injection it isn't bad at all I guess..

I want to programm a few more things befor I'm going to make a real injection PCB with voltagecompenstion and a connection for the Lambda-voltage..

- Iat compensation (which I don't need at the moment with Megasquirt) I programmed it (already) but it isn't working right now...
- acceleration enrichment which is probably the hardest to programm.... but the car is very drivable without it right now (running at LPG)..
- fuelcut (if rpm higher then X and map lower then Y) cut the fuel...

I want to test as many things as I can before develloping a real injection PCB...
I'm also thinking using a Atmega 2560 or a real automotive one..

Some things which surprice me with 1-2-Squirt versus Megasquirt..

With megasquirt i need a negative warmupenrichment, with 1-2-Squirt I need a positive warmupenrichment (like it should be)

With 1-2 spark I need about double the injectiontime then with Megasquirt (but I count the injectiontime over 2 revelutions) which is 1 cyclus...

You need to now I measure the temperature of the LPG supply (just befor the LPG gets to the injectors) which I'm been doing for about 4 or 5 years now, it is more accurate (for the injectionsystem) then measuring the temp of cilnderheads (it is a aircoooled engine)...

One thing I dear to say at the moment is that I don't need Megasquirt anymore.... (YESS)....
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Last saturday I did a 250km drive to a meeting (A-type markt Gemert).. Drove all the way on 1-2squirt and ofcourse 1-2-spark.. It went surprisingly well.. First I can say I did a stagering 1/13.7 l/km on LPG driving 100 km/h at the highway so not bad at all.. Had a few injection sinc losses but otherwise it runs like a Swiss clock..

When I showed off at the meeting, starting and running the engine on lpg and my own motormanagement some people where asking if it already was running on LPG, for me a compliment how good it runs already..

So at the homeway I had time to think about the sinc-loses... Then I had a Eureca moment.. I just connected the 1-2-spark
rpm lead (5 volt) to the 1-2-squirt unit.. So I thought it misses a pull down resistor and eventually a capacitor..

So I just soldered both into the 1-2-squirt unit and hey presto no sinc-losses so far... Only when I push the horn it is losing sinc.. However I had this also with my KDFI (Megasquirt clone) too, so I'm almost at the same level already..

So next is to implement IAT correction; running over an hour at the highway it ran a little lean so I guess I need a little AIT enrichment...

Also Í'm starting to think how to solve acceleration enrichment...

I need

RPM
map movement over time or over rpm
clt temp

Looking at several programmable ecu's evereyone does it on it's own way (acceleration enrichment)
Personaly I think the acceleration enrichment of Megasquirt sucks.. So I think I'm going my own way again...

Any advise is welcome.... :P :P

cheers Geo
Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

My advise is to fix your horn issue
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Matthijs wrote:My advise is to fix your horn issue