1-2-Spark and 1-2-Squirt...

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

1-2-Spark and 1-2-Squirt...

Post by LPGo »

I've hasitated / waited a long time to make a first post here.. But I Am now at a level where I can post some stuff here...

ok. Here we go...

the project... The little Citroen 2cv.... 602cc, 28hp 2 cilinder 4 stroke engine....

What I have realised sofar:

I made an free programmable electronic ignition for these little bastards and at the moment there are about 30 2cv's running at it and still increasing...

specs...

- 1 pickup (you will say tooth) at the flywheel at 45 degrees befor TDC at crankshaft..
- mapsensor (boosted engines are no problem there are several running around on it)
- coolant tempsensor
- 3 times tableswitch

features..

revlimiter 2000/9999 rpm
shiftlight
advance -6 to 45 degrees btdc
3 times 12x12 advance-table degrees btdc selectable by a switch on the fly
multispark
dwelltable 12 cells 100ms to 25500ms dwelltime adjustable by rpm
temptable 12cells advancing retarding ignition by temp (+12.5 / -12.5 degrees)

timing is better then 0.5 degrees

Now, I did everything myself programming the microcontroller/ pcb/ hardware / software.... /manual aso..

some pics of the software:
HOMESCREEN.jpg
SHIFTLIGHT.jpg
DWELL.jpg
ok it seems I'm only allowed to attach 3 pics, so I will make another post...
Last edited by LPGo on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: 1-2-Spark and 1-2-Squirt...

Post by LPGo »

It seems I have a green light to go on with posting...

So first I will go on with the software......
ADVANCE.jpg
First and most important the advance table.. as said before you can make your on table according to the needs of your engine. every white cell is adjustable, between cells there will be calculated liniear.... at the left the map values underneath the rpm range... the gauges are rpm and map and the counter is the (total advance) including coolant temp correction..

Then I programmed multispark....
multispark.jpg
You can choose to use it or not
multispark on.jpg
When you turn the multispark on you can setup a window where multispark may occure. in this cas 8 degrees. before tdc and 6 degrees after tdc if ther is enough time to load the coil (multidwell and sparkduration) there will be build another spark if rpm gets lower more Sparks will be build...... at around 200 rpm 4 or 5 Sparks will be build. This goes up to around 800 rpm then time is to short to build another spark and multispark ends....

Take a look at this video and please listen to the sound of it, you can really here the Sparks singing along...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbTAnK7LLuk

ok. I'm only allowed 3 pics so up to the next post..
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

up to the next post..

some videos; please take a look at my youtube channel "www2cv4x4nl"

some highlights:

first a video of the multispark... in the video I shut the normal dwell down and the engine starts to run at the multispark spark..

when cranking the engine you can see the multispark go up to 4 extra Sparks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU6QSw84wNU

here a video of a peugeot 205 running on 1-2-spark..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1V9Qlgv3I

here you can see the advancing/retarding with the coolant sensor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_MfFxtC5PI

a video of changing the rev limiter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGeoy8erYM

and at last a video of the starting of a cold engine you can see the coolant temp go up (in this case the airtemp of the cilinders, this is an aircooled engine) and later on the advancing/retarding of the ignition by the mapsensor (according to the ignitiontable)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6QzMhzym5s
Last edited by LPGo on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

The reason why I start a topic here is I'm now starting to devellop an injection system for the Citroen 2 cilinder, working together with the ignition I already have...

I have only a crankshaft sensor (at the moment), so it will be semi-sequential injection for a start... last week I started to convert the ignition-table to an injection-time table. You can fill them out now with numbers from 0 to 255 (this will be Obvious for you) after that the numbers will be multiplied with 100 so I will have an theroretic injectiontime from 100 us to 25500 us. Later on I can make this multiplier changeable (just like the req-fuel) but I will start with 100 for now...\

Now heres the fuel-time-table, with some random numbers filled out just to see if it works...

0-255.jpg
Now you see directly, orange is ignition, green is injection, I can't make it easier.... :mrgreen: 8-)

Now what do you think of it sofar.....

Just 1 comment in advance... Pleace don't start that I need a triggerwheel. Believe me for a 2 cilinder engine with only 1 spark-event per revelution the one tooth at 45 degrees befor top dead center is spot on I won't change this.... Otherwise every advise is welcome.....
Last edited by LPGo on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the site, and sorry for the delay in authorising your posts.

If you don't want to hear that, then it's fine, we won't tell you. :-)

One comment, though: You've posted in an open source area, please link your source repositories for firmware, software, and hardware. Otherwise I will have to move the thread.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Fred wrote:Welcome to the site, and sorry for the delay in authorising your posts.

If you don't want to hear that, then it's fine, we won't tell you. :-)

One comment, though: You've posted in an open source area, please link your source repositories for firmware, software, and hardware. Otherwise I will have to move the thread.

Fred.
No it is good you keep an eye on everything I guess..

At the moment it is no open source (however I will share quit a lot, but not the source code..) so if you think it isn't at the right spot, feel free to move it to the appropriate spot... thanks...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Done! Good luck with your project! :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Not much of response here...

Posted this at the international 2cv forum this evening, most things must be obvious for you over here..

Spend the whole weekend and evenings of last week to get the "true 3D" fuel table going...

I thought it would be easy because I already have a true 3D ignition table.. but I needed to adjust the algorithm from degrees (igniton) to injector open time (injection)

When I calulated a given rpm (867 rpm/minit) and map (79Kpa) I should have a injectortime opening (called pulsewidth in Megasquirt) of 5440 us; this is 0.005440 seconds b.t.w this is double from what I'm running now on Megasquirt so only for reference..

So I'm proud to announce the chip calculates 0.005438 seconds and all this without floating points calculations, so this is a diffrence of 0.000002 sec.. Probably better then Megasquirt does...

Now I did this only for 4 cells at the moment so this week I need to adjust all my cells algoritm and then I will make a short video of it...

So the first problem is solved now I need to make the chip to execute this time to really get the injector(s) open for this time...
LPGo
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by LPGo »

Still no response here.. I think I am at the wrong forum here :?: :?:

I thought I'm doing all the stuff you want to here about??? :cry: :cry: ..

Making a free programmable ignition en injection also called an ECU from scratch as a hobby... :ugeek: :ugeek:

Now why should I post my source-code, hardware, eagle files etc here when nobody is interested.... :o :o

Anyway, this evening I had lots of progress working at the software of the microcontroller..

Posted this at the 2cv forum..

I translated the pulsewidth calculated from the fueltable into the chip. I connected a small 12 volt 2Watt light to it and you you can really see the light brighten and dimming?? when going along the fueltable, so this should work...

I also have build in the coolant temperature correction.. This is now tunable from -40 degrees celcius to 150 degrees celcius in steps of 20 degrees. You can tune from 1 to 255 percent of the actual pulsewidth calculated by the fueltable...

Simply it comes to this.. a cold engine needs more fuel then a hot engine and now I can adjust this

I also build in a injectordead time.. when putting current to the injector it needs some time to activate the coil and after a while it starts to squirt, this takes about 1/1000 of a second

Simply it comes to this... iddling your engine with headlights, wipers and big stereo on so voltage is down the injector(s) need(s) more time to open as when you idlle with everything turned off..

I wanted to make a video of it but theres not much to see right now, only a bulb brightening or dimming...... but for me it is a confirmation it works as it should..

So if you believe it or not, the next thing is to put the injection in my car and try it...

I can't wait...........
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

I'm definitely interested, but was under the impression that you were planning to update this thread like a build journal.

-Jeff