Compiling my first MS-II s19

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Compiling my first MS-II s19

Post by AbeFM »

Admin: If this doesn't belong here, please move it!

Cross posting from the MS forums (which get very little traffic, so if you don't hear from the mods you don't get a response):
Ok, after setting things up blindly and quickly on XP, I figured I'd use my home Vista machine (30 monitor!) for the actual work. After hours of messing around it became obvious it was a waste of time, so now I text edit on one machine and compile on the laptop.

Anyway, after finding out (ooops) that I had made the mods on a somehow different version of the code (ms2_extra_misc.c,v 1.44.6.43 vs ms2_extra_misc.c,v 1.44.6.39) and getting all that straightened out.... I tried compiling it again in XP using the little make.bat included.

Everything seems to compile fine, the output if I type:

make > outputtext.txt

..just shows the compile working. But then, after that, I get a series of 8 lines, each of the form:
ms2_extra_main.o(.rodata+0x5432): reference to a banked address [3c:a400] in the normal address space at 5432
which counts up by 2 in hex for each line, ending on 0x5446

It's somehow outside of the make command. And I'm pretty lost. Should I worry about this? I remember there were some "compiler issues" with how the IAC-stepper motor was accessing addresses or something from the 2.0.0 thread. I'd like to try uploading this code, but am worried. I didn't make any changes to main.c at all!
Basically, I thought a fun place to start writing some code would be taking the existing set up I have, which works, and "fix" the idle the way I (and several worthwhile others) feel it's lacking. I have too many friends who run warm-up idle valves or worse still set-screw idle valves when they have the hardware to do more.

So I wanted to put this on my car. It seemed like it compiled, but I get the errors(?) as above. Could someone tell me what it means?
Fred

Re: Compiling my first MS-II s19

Post by Fred »

OK, I forget where it is in ms code, probably msextra.h, there are definitions of the banks of memory that match the memory.x file. The flash is banked and paged and you can only access some of it at a time. I'm not sure what those mean though as I haven't encountered them. I assume you have searched the world. I would recommend joining the 68hc11 mailing list and asking the question there too. James is on that list, as am I, and other more knowledgeable types too. Good luck.

Also, perhaps start with the default one, make sure it compiles cleanly, and then make your changes a little at a time. See if you can pin point what causes it.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Yeah, I did try that, and it does the same thing. Errors after the compile. That's what bugs me. Guess I'll see if I get any love on MS-forums....
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by shameem »

I dont have a clue since i am not immersed into the code development yet - maybe these links will help.....

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?14131
http://osdir.com/ml/gnu.binutils/2002-08/msg00249.html
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

They sure look applicable...
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

So, any good text editors or better still text-comparer-and-editors for ubuntu? :-) I got my computer booting, displayng full res, dual booting.

Heck, except for having to unplug all my SATA devices until linux comes up, it's perfect.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The sata thing is probably to do with your Grub settings I think. Which kernel version do you have? You may find that the disk labels are different in Grubs eyes to the kernels eyes with/without sata.

As for diff/compare there are lots, meld, xxdiff, diff etc. I would recommend you setup SVN on your machine and use eclipse. If you then import your project from SVN (after importing it to SVN from the original copy) you can then put in each set of changes and commit them as a new revision. Once you have that you can compare any past version with the present or any other past version out of SVN history. You can also compare arbitrary files. I quite like the eclipse diff tool :-)

SVN is pure gold, highly recommended for anything you want to do with iterative/incremental changes (MUST HAVE for code IMO).

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Oh yeah - I've never really gotten good with SVN, though I've seen it at work (the place is littered with these programmer people). Right now I have a million little blah-myfile.c.v4 and .c.v8, etc, and it's a pain to change them all around.

Ok, I guess I'll get me a copy of eclipse on here, and try to figure out SVN... Getting code onto the MS, and logging it, shouldn't be too bad? Maybe I'll be switching to the new not-mega-tune sooner than I thought. :-)